Boston bombs - developing news

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Re: Boston bombs - developing news

Post by daffodil » 19th Apr, '13, 17:50

Hope they catch "white hat" soon without further injury or worse.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 19th Apr, '13, 17:52

Shock Jock in Australia, likes to incite. Been saying student radicals (and ban foregn student radicals in Australia, admitedly only read headline and firsy sentence, he's generally a waste space, but has his obvious following)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 19th Apr, '13, 21:33

Chechens living in the US. Immigration status (student visa, PR, citizens)?
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 19th Apr, '13, 21:40

We heard the sirens going all night. Excellent alert system from both Harvard and Cambridge city - we received texts, emails and (oooops chocolate for registering the house phone) phone calls all night updating us and telling us to stay in. They are stalked outside a house right now - we are all on a stay at home order.

They seemingly had permanent residence (green cards) but the white hat was a student.

insane!!!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 19th Apr, '13, 21:58

Chechen's were the guys behind the Beslan school weren't ? Callous fuckers he seem intent on killing and maiming has many as possible.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 19th Apr, '13, 23:01

By the time we wake up tmrw this will all be over and their life stories will be known.

Three dead at the race, one cop dead and dozens seriously wounded (so far). Ridiculous.

Yes, Baloo, that was Chechens and so was this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_the ... age_crisis
Plus Moscow airport and train station attacks, I think.

Islamic Chechen Separatists (they want out of Russia) committing barbaric acts is not new, but this is the first in the USA. And, they were in the US legally. Refugee status- ok, you're welcome?
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 20th Apr, '13, 06:26

They just lifted the lockdown - he managed to evade them...

Yup - T2K - the found an aunt/uncle etc etc...impressive the kid managed to get away though...we shall see how this pans out....I just hope no one else gets hurt.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 20th Apr, '13, 08:31

Cornered in a backyard

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 20th Apr, '13, 08:40

yup..in a boat.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 20th Apr, '13, 08:52

Looks like they've got him alive. What a wild day for the Boston area.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 20th Apr, '13, 09:13

Phew, can we all stop posting cat photos and videos on Facebook now? chocolate - go get some fresh air. Not too far, mind.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 20th Apr, '13, 10:14

slinky wrote:Looks like they've got him alive. What a wild day for the Boston area.
Wild week methinks. Glad the threat appears to be over, so many shattered lives.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 20th Apr, '13, 20:59

This is really just the beginning. Immediate victims aside for the moment, this is just really shitty news for the whole country. What trust and goodwill that had been built between muslim and non-muslim america since 9/11 has been destroyed. Possibly for good. The identity of the terrorists is key, here. Those guys were as americanized as one could imagine! One was a champion athlete, a three time golden glove winner who had married an american and had a kid. The other basically grew up here, went to a very prestigious and progressive high school in Cambridge before going on to living the typical college life in a dorm, smoking dope, etc. Boston embraced them- gave them asylum, gave them a life- and they responded with terror. Trust has been destroyed; suspicion will now be the norm regarding even the most assimilated muslims. And this is in Boston, one of the most progressive communities in the US. Imagine how the rest of the country will respond? What a huge opportunity for the american right- and you can be sure that they will exploit it to the full. Watch out, Barack Hussein Obama!

Terrorism supposedly has a political end. If their goal was to reopen old wounds, foster suspicion and permanently divide muslim and non-muslim america, I think they may have succeeded. There needs to be a major PR initiative from the muslim community- whether they see it as their responsibility or not. I don't see another way to heal. A very sad week, indeed.

Edit: I should add that this isn't unprecedented in US history. In WWI there were mixed allegiances among some german americans that led to quite a bit of mistrust and discrimination. Things worked out in the end.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Apr, '13, 06:46

Good post, av. When I read T2K's "this will all be over" the other day I thought, but it won't, will it? These two kids may be caught , dead or alive, but the people that recruited them won't be, and the screwed up cause I assume they are fighting for won't be forgotten.

And yes, everybody with a middle-eastern appearance and a backpack will now be under suspicion again.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Apr, '13, 16:53

A bit hysterical if you ask me! The people now have the opportunity to either create that suspicion, or ensure the bridges built over the last 12 years remain. Also, did similar bridges get burnt in the UK and Spain after the train bombings?

To think this will "permanently divide muslim and non-muslim america" is a bit over the top. But K is probably right, people with backpacks will come under suspicion. Let's hope no Brazilians overstay their visas.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Apr, '13, 17:44

The press is definitely hysterical.

I did have a chuckle when I read that many people think they are from the Czech Republic (although I couldn't do a very accurate job of pinpointing Chechnya myself).

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Apr, '13, 18:44

Saw an article stating just that, and a great comment on it:

Czech Republic Ambassador: Don't Confuse Us With Chechnya

To the placement of Chechnya on a map "Chechens are an ethnic group hailing from the southern edge of the Russian border, known as the North Caucasus region, whose history has been marked by its violent struggles for independence. Chechnya, a republic, is bordered by Georgia" someone commented:

"Now these idiots are going to think Chechnya is in the USA ("bordered by Georgia)!"
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 21st Apr, '13, 23:36

Bob, you don't understand the US. This is not the UK or Spain. Half the country is totally paranoid and dumb as bricks. BTW, I never said that they have succeeded in permanently dividing muslim and non-muslim america, just expressing my fear that they have. Things have certainly changed. Again. It will take a lot of work to rebuild trust.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 22nd Apr, '13, 06:44

Fat Bob wrote:"Now these idiots are going to think Chechnya is in the USA ("bordered by Georgia)!"
[smilie=rotflmao.gif] [smilie=rotflmao.gif]
Is it between Alabama and Georgia?
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 23rd Apr, '13, 07:14

Sadly, already started: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/ ... 5U20130422 .

And Reuters is not exactly biased to the right (perhaps Fresh Mint could chime in?).

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 23rd Apr, '13, 08:56

Islam-motivated terror attacks in the US are not new, just like in the rest of the world. Not all moslems are terrorists, but most terrorists are moslems. Not PC, but also not false.

No official policy in the US will change, no one will be rounded up, etc. Sooner or later, there will be another such attack. The world is a messy place.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 23rd Apr, '13, 09:11

I def hope the country is as blase about it as you are, T2K.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 23rd Apr, '13, 09:49

Tis indeed very messy!
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 23rd Apr, '13, 12:43

From the Reuters article:
Or perhaps we need to accept the fact that some irreducible number of people will commit vile, despicable crimes no matter what we as a society do to prevent them.
Unfortunately, this point is probably true. Doesn't mean we don't take opportunity to work at uncovering and understanding causes and triggers that send people in the direction of committing crimes of terror (no matter who they are).

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 23rd Apr, '13, 16:39

Of course, we need to do our best to stop this crap but we have to realize that if we implement draconian police tactics which subvert civil liberties then it's also a defeat of the highest order.

The "if it can save one life" argument, which is popular with some, is really stupid. If we gave local, state and federal law enforcement in the US the right to stop and search anyone at any time for any reason, or no reason at all, and detain them for any length of time then I absolutely PROMISE you we could reduce violent crime / terrorism massively. It would be "for the public good" and it would work. Some innocent people would surely get caught up in it but...it's for the children right? We damn well shouldn't do that.

We just have to accept that the world is messy and sooner or later someone with some intelligence, a modest amount of money and a desire to commit mass murder will succeed. If we stop nine out of ten, it doesn't make the tenth any less horrible.
-Theodore Roosevelt