Smoke in the air

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: ok

Smoke in the air

Post by tigerbalm » 19th Apr, '13, 15:01

PSI 30 to 40 right now? My a.s! I can actually see the smoke - pardon haze - in front of my house... And smell it!
The NEA information on their website is a joke.
So this probably should be moved in rant forum as there is no chance of improvement...

BoD
Part of the furniture

Re: Smoke in the air

Post by BoD » 20th Apr, '13, 04:11

The PSI doesn't just measure particulate matter, but takes account of all sorts of gassy type stuff too .. blah etc blah etc
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Apr, '13, 08:33

The psi has been raised now to above 50. Does seem a little late and a little low.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 22nd Apr, '13, 13:18

i can't recall it ever having been so early in the year...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Apr, '13, 13:49

Saw this update on the NEA website:

Hazy Conditions Update

(Updated on 19 Apr 2013)

Since 1pm today, conditions have been hazy and members of the public have given feedback on a burning smell across many parts of Singapore. The haziness and burning smell are from the fires in Sumatra, brought over by prevailing winds blowing from the southwest or west.

Since 17 April, satellite images showed smoke plumes originating from hotspots in Riau province being blown towards Singapore by the prevailing winds. The winds are forecast to occasionally blow from the southwest or west for the next few days. During this period, hazy conditions are expected occasionally.

The PSI reading as at 4pm today is in the range of 28 – 43, which is in the good range. The public can also access PSI updates through the following channels:

Weather@SG website http://weather.nea.gov.sg
twitter.com/neasg
NEA Call Centre at 1800 CALL NEA (1800 2255 632)
NEA iPhone/Android App myENV
The PSI will be updated on this website daily at 8am, 12noon and 4pm.

NEA is monitoring the situation closely and will provide further updates when necessary.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 22nd Apr, '13, 14:12

Morrolan wrote:i can't recall it ever having been so early in the year...
That's what I was thinking

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: ok

Post by tigerbalm » 22nd Apr, '13, 19:54

Why don't they save their time and write:
Many people across the island reported smell of smoke. F..k off the PSI is good therefore all is well. Your NEA
Fat Bob wrote:Saw this update on the NEA website:

Hazy Conditions Update

(Updated on 19 Apr 2013)

Since 1pm today, conditions have been hazy and members of the public have given feedback on a burning smell across many parts of Singapore. The haziness and burning smell are from the fires in Sumatra, brought over by prevailing winds blowing from the southwest or west.

Since 17 April, satellite images showed smoke plumes originating from hotspots in Riau province being blown towards Singapore by the prevailing winds. The winds are forecast to occasionally blow from the southwest or west for the next few days. During this period, hazy conditions are expected occasionally.

The PSI reading as at 4pm today is in the range of 28 – 43, which is in the good range. The public can also access PSI updates through the following channels:

Weather@SG website http://weather.nea.gov.sg
twitter.com/neasg
NEA Call Centre at 1800 CALL NEA (1800 2255 632)
NEA iPhone/Android App myENV
The PSI will be updated on this website daily at 8am, 12noon and 4pm.

NEA is monitoring the situation closely and will provide further updates when necessary.