PRISM

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

PRISM

Post by Morrolan » 7th Jun, '13, 12:57

only non-US persons outside the US targeted seriously? all of us?

this makes a joke out of every conspiracy theory ever invented. damn, Orwell was right.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: PRISM

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Jun, '13, 17:02

This is on my To Do list: read up on all the surveillance allegations surrounding the president. I've been seeing so much hubbub but haven't had the time to actually read about it. But I do know that while conservatives are thumping their fists over this, some of my liberal friends have been asking "Where were you guys when Bush signed the Patriot Act after 9/11?"
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 7th Jun, '13, 18:12

The New York Times is saying the administration has 'lost all credibility' due to this issue. Those are strong words from a traditionally liberal leaning publication. Like Lili though, I haven't made time to read up on all of this to understand it fully.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 7th Jun, '13, 19:31

"We" were as pissed about the Patriot Act under Bush as all this BS. "We" were also pissed about Bush's failure on immigration reform. But anyone who buys into the "us" and "them" the the R's and D's is asleep at the wheel. It's a wayang and it will get worse before it gets better, but the turnaround point will be dramatic and messy.

The illusion of "safety", or the false claim to it at least, seems to be the single biggest enemy of liberty today.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 7th Jun, '13, 21:58

obviously this goes beyond any 'administration' or country. look around you. it's happening everywhere.

i'm not usually into conspiracies and 'they're taking our freedom' stuff, but this is getting absurd.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 9th Jun, '13, 22:38

You've got to wonder how Google can so explicitly deny giving any sort of backdoor access to the government. Maybe one of the many companies that they bought was a front for (or at least highly infiltrated by) a spy agency?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 10th Jun, '13, 11:27

Time to turn the Internet off. Who owns Compuserv these days ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 10th Jun, '13, 15:56

There has not been any kind of privacy for many years. Wherever you go with your mobile phone, you can be tracked - cell by cell, every transaction with your credit card is tracked and recorded, each time you use an ATM you are tracked and recorded, every time you use a loyalty card the transaction is tracked and recorded. All our emails pass through highly sophisticated filters in the intelligence departments of several countries, in the case of UK it's GCHQ. Privacy is an illusion and has been for a long time.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 10th Jun, '13, 18:44

baloo wrote:Time to turn the Internet off. Who owns Compuserv these days ?
That would definitely be the end of the Forum!

I must be naive, admit to being a bit shocked at the alleged extent of the surveillance for sure.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 10th Jun, '13, 22:23

Spike makes a good point -- pretty hard to be 'off the grid' these days, I would think.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 10th Jun, '13, 23:20

Spike- for me this is not so much about privacy (although I do care about privacy) as it is about gov't abuse of power. I have yet to hear a US legal expert argue that the NSA data center being built in Utah is anything but illegal. I'm sure they're out there, but the consensus by and large is that it is illegal. The loss of the rule of law, w.r.t. the financial sector and now this, is an "existential threat to democracy" as what's-his-face said. Oh, well...

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 11th Jun, '13, 02:06

To add to what Spike said there are also cameras watching your every move in public and elsewhere especially in Singapore.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jun, '13, 12:02

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... rveillance

About the whistleblower. Interesting read. I don't know if I would have chosen Hong Kong for a hideout, though. Apparently our friend Julian Assange is in contact with him. Perhaps the Ecuador Embassy in Hong Kong will have a new resident?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 11th Jun, '13, 22:03

cia.jpg
cia.jpg (13.69 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 12th Jun, '13, 06:48

So, this guy Snowden is a high school drop out...and has top secret security clearance with the NSA? The other guy, Manning, only had secret clearance (as I once did also, which shows how easy that is to get!).

Manning's case was clear, he was under oath and on active duty. His court martial is clearly justified.
Snowden was working for Booze Allen Hamilton, to whom the NSA has apparently outsourced some part of his Prism program. I assume he must have been under some secrecy program with consequences, but am not sure.

I think our NSA looks like a bunch of buffoons here.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 12th Jun, '13, 13:39

baloo wrote:Time to turn the Internet off. Who owns Compuserv these days ?
those were the days...

owned by AOL, by the way...

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 19th Jun, '13, 10:23

Let's not forget our travel cards... Oyster cards... EZ Link cards...
They track our movement too... Just sayin'
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 22nd Jun, '13, 09:43

So to the next expose...according to Snowden "They (GCHQ) are worse than the US"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/2 ... ations-nsa
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.