To buy a car

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: ok

To buy a car

Post by tigerbalm » 14th Jun, '13, 03:02

I really do hope I will not invite a bunch of spammers but we have to buy a car - I cannot do the MRT/taxi combo anymore.
So it should be SUV, not Lexus, probably Range Rover sport.
Any recommendations (apart from the obvious, the official agent on Alexandra road) where to look?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: To buy a car

Post by baloo » 14th Jun, '13, 06:17

Sgcarmart.com

Prices are on the decline so the longer you can wait the cheaper it will be. The general consensus is we'll get to a COE of around 40k soon.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 15th Jun, '13, 00:47

I can't understand why one would want a car in Singapore. They cost a fortune (3 times what they do in the US) and it is a pain in the ass (and expensive) to find a place to park and there is plenty of public transportation. I thought I would really miss my car when I moved to Singapore but soon found it quite convenient to take the MRT, a bus or a taxi or walk. Plus when I went to Brewerkz I didn't have to worry about being stopped for drink driving (as they say in Singapore). When I moved back to the States I dreaded having to buy a car.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by tigerbalm » 17th Jun, '13, 00:15

Thanks Baloo will check it out. Don't think that COE price will happen though - would be nice.
Sluggo - I did the MRT/taxi drill for more then 10 years now - few more weeks with taxis speeding past the taxi stand on Raffles place with green taxi sign or pretending they are "changing shift" at Tanjong Pagar will push me in dark territory :))

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Jun, '13, 00:19

I bought my first car in Singapore after 5 years of living here. Though you can use public transport and cabs it just becomes a hassle or slow. A car will open up where you can live, where you shop, where you train, where you eat.

It's a lifestyle choice and of course costs you $$$. But the time it saves and the convenience has been worth it in my view.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 17th Jun, '13, 01:32

We are the TPF

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 17th Jun, '13, 06:18

Sluggo, I never had much trouble parking, even in the city where I normally go.

And it is a lot cheaper than taking taxis (for me at least).

One major drawback though is that unlike being driven and dropped of at a porch, some places, you may have to park in the open and walk in the rain (of course with an umbrella) but that never keeps my feet dry. And the carpark to my apt while is 10m away,is in the open. Since I am always the driver, I always have to walk in the rain while everyone else gets dropped of at the sheltered porch.

Parking in the Uk . Now that is a challenge.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 17th Jun, '13, 08:51

I can understand wanting a car in Singapore, life for us with kids was made so much easier once we had one (4xtrips a day of $25 minimum by cab was just a bit OTT and didn't include Mr PP getting to work and back, never mind doing the shopping etc) but I could never understand the need for an SUV in Singapore...they are just big in a place designed for cars that are not. For one thing the parking spots in most car parks are small, both narrow and short, as are the car parks means of ingress and egress. Nearly all the SUVs hang over the end of the car spots and so many of the scrapes I have seen were done by larger vehicles trying to navigate the small entrances etc. Just a thought.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by tigerbalm » 17th Jun, '13, 14:38

RR sports BoD - latest offer is 288 for a less then year old car - still insane price compared to real country, but that is another issue and really there is not other way to keep the car numbers in check here.
Good point on SUV - it's just the number of kids and dogs and so on - it would be so nice to pack everyone in one vehicle and just go. (And I really don't like the look of any of the 7 seaters coffin cars..)
The search is on!
Last week in Germany I have seen the same RR we are looking for in German dealership for 45,000.00 Euro. Upon my happy and loud words:"wow that is so cheap!" the car salesman almost broke his legs running to us. His disappointment was huge.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 17th Jun, '13, 16:46

Wow, suddendly they don't seem so expensive here in thailand (compared to Singapore anyway). A new one here will set you back 4m THB.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 17th Jun, '13, 20:47

I'm in the market for an Estima. I am now officially devoid of any personality.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Jun, '13, 20:53

....and any driving skills.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

resterthemenance
Lurker
Mood: happy

Post by resterthemenance » 17th Jun, '13, 23:34

once you start driving it is hard to go back to taking public transport. tried it and failed. heng got my car befoe this new crazy rule.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 18th Jun, '13, 03:26

What crazy rule? The one where you have to put down more than 10% and can't borrow for 10 years on a rapidly depreciating asset, so that the loan isn't underwater from day 1? Yes that does sound crazy
We are the TPF

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 18th Jun, '13, 10:35

a friend of ours just had to sell his Toyota Fortuner 7 seater SUV to a dealer for only 43k after he failed to sell it for 50k at SGCarmart. not too old either.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 18th Jun, '13, 17:42

Ow you tell me.

BoD, new law is 50% loan over 5 years max. Makes the luxury market difficult for many. Though amazingly trade in value on cars seem to have rocketed since the new rules kicked in........

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 19th Jun, '13, 03:16

Yes, I know. And it seems sensible. Of course it does make it harder for people to buy cars, but isn't that the point? 10% down over 10 years was nuts
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Jun, '13, 06:15

BoD wrote:Yes, I know. And it seems sensible. Of course it does make it harder for people to buy cars, but isn't that the point? 10% down over 10 years was nuts
It was actually 0% down.