Bamboo floors

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: ok

Bamboo floors

Post by tigerbalm » 19th Aug, '13, 08:17

So we are renovating in Singapore... I remember someone posting here about having bamboo wood floors. I would like to know about their experience with the material, cleaning etc.
the other option is oak, it just looks like the ugly plastic wood office cabinets when it is left in natural colour and varnished.
Which brings me to the finishing - water based varnish or oil? Thank you for any opinion.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Bamboo floors

Post by baloo » 19th Aug, '13, 08:27

That's was kooky.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 19th Aug, '13, 11:15

My friends have put down bamboo flooring, it looks beautiful and cleaning is just any other wooden flooring of the same ilk. They got a light shade which initially I didn't think would look any good but it lifts the whole place and looks fabulous.

Kooky has had water problems at her place too, perhaps she can let us know how they handle that sort of stuff, although she is MIA lately around here.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 19th Aug, '13, 12:09

My mother just had bamboo flooring put in her place in Florida. I saw it when I was there in July. Looks really nice & like PP noted, you clean it pretty much just like other wooden floors.

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by tigerbalm » 19th Aug, '13, 19:38

Thank you all - Pinklepurr - is your friend in Singapore? Would it be possible to see the floors. I can PM you my real life contacts and promise that I am normal person they can let into their house? ;)))

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 20th Aug, '13, 08:06

No sorry tigerbalm, they are in Melbourne. I think the only thing that was recommended when they had it laid was to keep it clean, by sweeping etc on a daily basis as it can tend to be more easily dented by ground in dirt etc than hardwood flooring. However if you take your outdoor shoes off when entering the house this wouldn't be any different to normal wood flooring. I still haven't made up my mind about flooring options, we have been looking into it for our place as well but there are just too many choices.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 20th Aug, '13, 14:12

I've seen Kooky flooring. Really impressed. Think has stood up to the water problems quite well, and as well as any wood flooring subjected to the situation. Think it is more expensive than conventional wood flooring. Think it looks particularly lovely on the stairs. The stain choice is purely personal. It does have a smoother appearance than some conventional woods, but again that will be subject to the type of finish chosen on flooring anyway. Personally I love a dark stained hardwood, but that is super hard to find economically. When I look at flooring, I will look at bamboo flooring as next option subject to budget.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by tigerbalm » 22nd Aug, '13, 18:43

Thank you both I have posted a reply no idea where it went. I will keep looking and will update should I find out something interesting.
Any ideas welcomed