Keeping it anonymous

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Keeping it anonymous

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Aug, '13, 08:25

Looks like the article is off the main page, but there are probably more comments on this than any other story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-tv/j ... 07521.html

If I understand it correctly, and it has been acknowledged as a confusing announcement between the ME and CTO, HuffPo will disable anonymous posting soon.

As they say in Internet Land, discuss.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

T2K
Going Postal

Re: Keeping it anonymous

Post by T2K » 26th Aug, '13, 12:25

For all intents and purposes, it's still anonymous in the sense that I could be "Mickey Mouse", though I have a verified account with the site. It's the same as here (as opposed to the AB where anyone could drive-by post with a different name each time).

I've been subpoenaed (sp?) in the US for a comment I made on a news story about a criminal case. Everyone who commented was, as it turns out. I ignored it, but still. Things you post can have consequences.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Keeping it anonymous

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Aug, '13, 22:24

Yes the system can be easily gamed, though I doubt many would want to bother. I would either not post or would post different things on different forums if I had to.

What exactly is a Verified Account, and why would you choose one over an anonymous one?

Plus I question the anonymity of anonymous accounts, though I don't know enough to be sure outside of say MAC addresses.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx