Science is really making leaps and bounds!

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Science is really making leaps and bounds!

Post by chocolate » 29th Aug, '13, 03:32

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Science is really making leaps and bounds!

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Aug, '13, 07:45

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Aug, '13, 07:55

Pretty fantastic. I know they are also making leaps and bounds with livers, hearts - these have a more tangible application as in matching organs for transplant. I always thought it would be possible, I'm wondering when the first one is put into a patient. 10 years?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 29th Aug, '13, 08:14

Will read article in second, but the brilliant thing on FBI observation around transplant organs will be possibilities of eliminating those nasty rejection medications as well. So cool.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 29th Aug, '13, 16:47

just imagine the use: a little human brain in your pc, fridge, tv, car, lifts in buildings, maybe even your dog or cat.

the possibilities are endless! :mrgreen:

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 29th Aug, '13, 19:52

I would hope sooner than 10 years but clinical trials do take a while. And yes, the other organs are probably a lot more useful, still it's pretty amazing they managed to "make a brain" - though far from perfect.

I don't think I'd like my pet having a human brain, however if my fridge could tell me what to cook for dinner based on the contents of my fridge using it's brain rather than mine that'd be something!!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 30th Aug, '13, 13:47

chocolate wrote:if my fridge could tell me what to cook for dinner based on the contents of my fridge using it's brain rather than mine that'd be something!!
I would buy that fridge! :D
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 30th Aug, '13, 19:00

As I always tell Mr Chocolate when he says "I'll make dinner" then turns around and asks me "what do you want for dinner" - the point is not really the cooking of the dinner, but the thinking of what to cook for dinner!!! :)

(Hence my nerdy whiteboard with both freezer contents and our meals listed out most weeks so I can retain some sanity)

steviestiles
Lurker
Mood: Excellent

Post by steviestiles » 6th Sep, '13, 11:51

I read an article about lab grown liver and burger as well. All these lab grown stuffs reminds me of a movie called "The Island". Pretty scary if we can 'grow people' in the near future.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 6th Sep, '13, 12:03

steviestiles wrote:I read an article about lab grown liver and burger as well. All these lab grown stuffs reminds me of a movie called "The Island". Pretty scary if we can 'grow people' in the near future.
Oh, I really liked that movie. Good science fiction.