Bernie Madoff Scams HSBC for $1 Billion

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Re: Bernie Madoff Scams HSBC for $1 Billion

Post by Lichtgestalt » 16th Dec, '08, 16:46

baloo wrote:
Fresh Mint wrote:My grandfather died in Auswitch.
He fell out of a guard tower when drunk.
It's really sad when you have to resort to stealing Lichty's jokes....
Exactly! :shock: It's a fine line though between being overly political correct and being seen as a racist

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Dec, '08, 16:47

Made £150 on Barclays over the weekend. Reckon I'll be lucky again?

My mate, a scuba diver, found the probable remains of USS Pope, a boat that was sunkin the Java Sea during WWII. Unfortunately, the boat had been found 10+ years ago by salvagers, and they salvage the boat by blowing it to bits and picking up the debris. These salvagers came from a muslim area.

"Pope raped by muslims" was the suggested headline.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 16th Dec, '08, 21:40

Tas wrote:interesting, I read that and didn't have a single emotional response to it. I guess I was focussed more on the point that it turn out he's A BIG CROOK, and it's going to affect average jo bloggs people in the long run when the bank goes pear shaped. .
Actually I read it the same way as Tas did, not as an anti Jewish rant at all...
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: bloody marvellous

Post by Fuzz » 16th Dec, '08, 22:01

The original intent could've been 'innocent' but people could interpret to word baits differently, thus it would've been better not to mention it because it doesn't contribute any significance to the story at all. It would've been healthier to focus on the size and the extent of the fraud, his former position as a NASDAQ chairman, etc.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 17th Dec, '08, 00:08

This story broke Friday & I knew it would be big-Most people trust Jews to only screw them within certain parameters.
Sorry, I find it hard to interpret this as some sort of awkward or even backhanded compliment to jews. If you replaced "Jews" with "blacks", and replaced "screw" with "rob" or some other crime, the statement would be hard to justify. Even if the intent were innocent, one would have to be monumentally stupid not to consider the political consequences of making such a statement, and skank is just too shrewd for that.

As for the false choice between criticising hate speech and keeping your job... Huh???

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Dec, '08, 08:03

Of course it is racist -- and you don't have to change any of the words for it to be so proved.
Any defense of it as being an "innocent remark" or a "backhanded compliment" is ridiculous, and those who have done so should think long and hard about how they appear.

That said, I agree with the management's philosophy of keeping censorship to a minimum here.

Let people hang themselves.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Dec, '08, 08:08

Aliya wrote:
Tas wrote:interesting, I read that and didn't have a single emotional response to it. I guess I was focussed more on the point that it turn out he's A BIG CROOK, and it's going to affect average jo bloggs people in the long run when the bank goes pear shaped. .
Actually I read it the same way as Tas did, not as an anti Jewish rant at all...
You honestly telling me that you two see nothing wrong in this:
Most people trust Jews to only screw them within certain parameters.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 17th Dec, '08, 08:38

Fresh Mint wrote:Let people hang themselves.
I'm actually a great believer in not rewarding naughty children with attention. I watch Supernanny. ;)

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 17th Dec, '08, 10:00

I dunno...
If he were to say "most Jews only screw you within certain parameters" - then yes, racist no doubt. But the statement is "most people ...etc " so the way I read it is that the negativity is directed towards the people who have that attitude.
And anyway, friggin great double standard there FM, who takes a good old poke at Germans and anybody else he sees fit to at will. I know you, so I know a little bit about your true attitude - but shouldn't anti-racism be a consistent attitude and not one you pull out when suddenly it's not a joke any more?
Last edited by azzam on 17th Dec, '08, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 17th Dec, '08, 10:05

Who here is advocating censorship? I asked if the board were going to respond, and it did. I thank you for answers. :)

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 17th Dec, '08, 11:20

I was going to start another thread for this news piece but I think this thread is just as appropiate.

No cake for you
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Dec, '08, 11:26

azzam wrote:I dunno...
But the statement is "most people ...etc " so the way I read it is that the negativity is directed towards the people who have that attitude.
The statement isn't "most people ... etc", the statement is "Most people trust Jews to only screw them within certain parameters."

If you read it as the negativity directed towards people with that attitude, then you are reading it through rose tinted spectacles. The sentence can be MISUNDERSTOOD, but its meaning and racist overtone is crystal clear to anyone who understands English properly.

There is a vast difference between writing that, and taking the piss out of German stereotypes.

azzam

Post by azzam » 17th Dec, '08, 11:28

Yeah well, whatever. Idiot wants to give his children names that will cause them problems all their lives and is now upset about a cake? I guess you can't have it and eat it too. Boom boom!

edit: that was at Baloo's post
Last edited by azzam on 17th Dec, '08, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

azzam

Post by azzam » 17th Dec, '08, 11:29

Fresh Mint wrote:
azzam wrote:I dunno...
But the statement is "most people ...etc " so the way I read it is that the negativity is directed towards the people who have that attitude.
The statement isn't "most people ... etc", the statement is "Most people trust Jews to only screw them within certain parameters."

If you read it as the negativity directed towards people with that attitude, then you are reading it through rose tinted spectacles. The sentence can be MISUNDERSTOOD, but its meaning and racist overtone is crystal clear to anyone who understands English properly.

There is a vast difference between writing that, and taking the piss out of German stereotypes.
What is racism if not stereotyping?

edit: truth is FM, I have often taken offence at your German piss taking - more often than I get offended at Kiwi piss taking. But I ignored it. See, you just never know who you're offending, it's why we need to be careful with our "jokes" ( I believe )
I take Skank's line as being careless, though not reflective of his own views, but the views of the American non-Jewish public. If I were to say " Most people think blacks are criminals" that would not be me stating my own views about blacks, but my view about what what most people ( in all their glorious stupidity ) think about blacks.
Well, that's the way I took it - but I am not Jewish and if it offended you, then all power to you for highlighting it.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 17th Dec, '08, 11:36

baloo wrote:I was going to start another thread for this news piece but I think this thread is just as appropiate.

No cake for you
Forget the cake, I had to read the article a couple of times having looked at the photo - is that really a bloke???

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Dec, '08, 11:45

azzam wrote: If I were to say " Most people think blacks are criminals" that would not be me stating my own views about blacks, but my view about what what most people ( in all their glorious stupidity ) think about blacks.

But that isn't what the original sentence says, is it?

A relevant comparison would be for you to write: "Most people expect blacks to steal only a reasonable amount, not everything".

Would you say that is racist?

azzam

Post by azzam » 17th Dec, '08, 11:55

Ok, yes I see your point, but I don't think that was Skank's intention. Words are powerful stuff, aren't they?

edit: I was expecting you to tell me I was racist because "criminal" was the word that came to mind - had to have a think about that :-) Forgave myself, because it was the first stereotype that came up. Bless American TV.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Dec, '08, 11:59

azzam wrote:Ok, yes I see your point, but I don't think that was Skank's intention. Words are powerful stuff, aren't they?
Mightier than the sword, allegedly ...

xx

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Dec, '08, 12:02

"JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months..."

[smilie=rotflmao.gif] :shock: [smilie=rotflmao.gif] :shock: [smilie=rotflmao.gif] :shock: [smilie=rotflmao.gif]
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 17th Dec, '08, 12:44

ya see.

I find it pretty interesting that no one expects there to be an up in arms response from everyone on the forum when some one says Australians women have funny shaped heads. Or fairly snooty sorts, who dont, but really do, mean it when they refer to Australians having no culture or history or a bit high and mighty about it's convict past hence being a little lower on the social ladder, actually just generally inferring that. Or references to white women in Asia having personality and physical traits. Particularly when it's meant, and it's actually a bit mean and intentionally hurtful in its slightly passive agressive way.

So as I see it its a bit pick and choosy politically correct about what people want to get up in arms about sometimes. Guess above isn't much fun cause it's difficult to tag that as officially racist.

And only 1 or 2 comments in the last couple pages about the fact the guy turned out to be A BIG CROOK, and some people are seriously going to suffer.

Speaking of, Commonwealth Bank have made a major stuff up in last 24hrs, now I'm a bit antsy pantsy about banks in Aus, cause that's where my lot is.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 17th Dec, '08, 12:48

Tas wrote:Speaking of, Commonwealth Bank have made a major stuff up in last 24hrs, now I'm a bit antsy pantsy about banks in Aus, cause that's where my lot is.
No need to worry about they as one of the worlds premier global banks jumped in to help them out with their float at the last minute.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 17th Dec, '08, 13:02

azzam wrote:I take Skank's line as being careless, though not reflective of his own views, but the views of the American non-Jewish public.
But I'm part of the American non-Jewish public that line most certainly doesn't reflect my views, so I'm not sure I can totally agree with that statement either.

Anyway, I stand by my point that bringing up the guy's religion/ethnicity was totally unnecessary to the story, period.

azzam

Post by azzam » 17th Dec, '08, 14:42

Aha! So he was being racist about goyim! Case solved

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 17th Dec, '08, 15:03