Why do things go kaput when just out of warranty?

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Why do things go kaput when just out of warranty?

Post by Dinosaur » 22nd Feb, '09, 12:34

We've had our villa here for just over a year now. We're getting some real hot weather at the moment. I lived in Singapore for a while so I'm used to the high daytime temperatures (about 35 degrees currently) but at least in Singapore it used to drop to around 25 degrees in the evening. Now it's staying in the 30s at night, so AirCon is King [smilie=bowdown.gif]

The aircon service contract (for want of a better phrase) has just finished. Did we want to continue? No, they're a useless bunch of twats who seem to spend more time trying to damage our doors and furniture. We've had a recommendation from someone but, no rush, it's only just been serviced last month :D

Yesterday - hot day again and we hear this kinda roaring engine sound from above - WTF. Mr PK rushes out to see one of the aircon units dancing on the roof - literally moving about - SERIOUS. It's the aircon unit for our bedroom [smilie=23_3.gif] and it is quarter to five in the afternoon on a Saturday and most companies finish at 5 and do not work on a Sunday [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] and it's out of warranty by about 2 weeks [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif]

elt
Limp Member

Re: Why do things go kaput when just out of warranty?

Post by elt » 23rd Feb, '09, 06:12

a bit late, but .... [smilie=kissing2.gif]

Raffles
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: ?

Post by Raffles » 27th Feb, '09, 08:17

PK, I am a little baffled, is it not possible to obtain those portable air-con units that we can buy here in the UK (acknowledging the fact you want your roof mounted unit fixed of course)?
Last edited by Raffles on 27th Feb, '09, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Feb, '09, 12:17

Raffles wrote:PK, I am a little baffled, is it not possible to obtain those portable air-con units that we can buy here in the UK (acknowledging the fact you want your roof mounted unit fixed of course)?
No I don't think so. Quite a few electrical items you take for granted in Singapore just aren't available here eg dustbusters. To be honest there's probably not a big market for them here. Whilst we live in a very westernised house, so many people here don't have airconditioning. A lot of houses and shops don't have fridges. We don't have mains water. A million miles from Singapore.

Anyway the aircon unit is fixed. There aren't too many people doing aircon services here and the ones we had under warranty were a useless bunch. We got a lucky recommendation for a company that maintains aircon units on big boats and superyachts at the marinas here. We weren't sure they'd come out as, obviously, we don't live on a yacht :D but they did AND the company owner is Chinese Malaysian and therefore speaks English - you just don't know how lovely that is to be able to communicate in English.

Raffles

Post by Raffles » 27th Feb, '09, 19:28

phuketkaren wrote:you just don't know how lovely that is to be able to communicate in English.
Don't you believe it, I've had my share of Thais and Filipinos for that matter who just cannot communicate properly in English even though I have only ever been a visitor to either country, so I know just what you mean.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 27th Feb, '09, 19:32

So much fun I could have with that sentence.

Raffles

Post by Raffles » 27th Feb, '09, 20:39

Kooky wrote:So much fun I could have with that sentence.
:shock:

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 1st Mar, '09, 11:41

Kooky wrote:So much fun I could have with that sentence.
Go on then.