We've Gone Insane

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

We've Gone Insane

Post by skank-la » 8th Apr, '09, 07:02

Over 50 people dead in 8 random mass killings in the last month here in the USA

Here's today's lastest , this one doesn't really qualify because this is just an everydaygroup murder as the perpetrator knew the victims. I hate my wife so I'll kill her & the kids; now an everyday occurence here..
A man suspected in the shooting deaths of four people, including his estranged wife and daughter, in northwest Alabama was found dead in an apparent suicide, police said.

Kevin Lee Garner was suspected of killing four people, including his estranged wife and daughter, police say.

Kevin Lee Garner's body was found about 200 yards behind his home in Morgan County, Alabama, said Travis Clemmons, chief investigator for the sheriff's office in neighboring Lauderdale County. He was dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Clemmons said.

Garner was a suspect in the deaths of Tammy Garner, 40, his estranged wife; Chelsea Garner, 16, his daughter; Karen Beaty, his sister; and his nephew, who Clemmons identified only as Robert, saying he did not know his last name.

The four were found dead Tuesday morning in a home in Greenhill, Alabama.

Clemmons said earlier that the home Garner lived in was burned, and that investigators were searching it.

A car belonging to one of the four victims was found at Garner's home, he said.

Garner and his wife had a hearing scheduled on Monday as part of divorce proceedings, police said. It had been postponed until Wednesday.
Last edited by skank-la on 8th Apr, '09, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

BoD
Part of the furniture

Re: We've Gone Insane

Post by BoD » 8th Apr, '09, 07:59

You obviously need to ensure that more (or less) people have easier (or harder) access to a wider (or narrower) selection of gun, so that they have a better (or worse) chance of defending (or killing) themselves (or others)
We are the TPF

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 8th Apr, '09, 14:50

It seems to me that whereas in the past a nutjob would usually just off himself when he/she snapped, now the option of taking people with him/her has entered the common pysche of the US. Though this certainly isn't an American thing only, Europe and Japan have had their share also. Economic turmoil ups the heat though, and as a result more of them boil over.

Societal issue - it's not going away.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 9th Apr, '09, 07:10

Gun Permits-What the latest Mass Killings have in Common

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/0 ... 84391.html
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 9th Apr, '09, 11:19

Exactly. It just goes to show that even seemingly normal and sane humans are the root cause. Societal issues - this isn't going away.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 9th Apr, '09, 13:16

Very hard to shoot people if you can't get a gun.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 9th Apr, '09, 13:43

But not to kill them, which is the point. Murder is murder.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 9th Apr, '09, 14:03

Absolutely. The Nazis worked that one out. Guns are for kiddies. If you really want to commit mass murder you need chemicals.

On the other hand, pouring a kilo of sodium azide into a reservoir probably doesn't give the same feeling of macho arseholeism that you get from the feel of a real gun recoiling in your hands.

It's about murder yes. But it's also about acting out a power trip fantasy that other weapons just can't provide. People don't run away from a man holding a knife, or a can of Zyklon B. It's about murder, but it's also about guns.
Last edited by Burbage on 9th Apr, '09, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 9th Apr, '09, 14:50

Wrong, considering recent examples of multiple murders committed with cars and knives. Guns are just another useful tool, like an SUV or a sushi knife. The constant in the equation is people willing to kill other people. Once that desire exists, the act itself isn't hard.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 9th Apr, '09, 14:56

Wrong.

The problem is that we don't know how many psychotic episodes of murder didn't happen because of lack of access to guns. So we can only speculate. Sure some people will use another weapon. We certainly can't be certain that firearm accessibility has no causal effect on the liklihood of mass killings.

The good thing about guns over cars and knives is that guns were specifically designed to kill people.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 9th Apr, '09, 15:31

Or racoons
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 9th Apr, '09, 16:07

Thanks for the speculation. I'll add to it more to suppose that knives were almost certainly designed to kill people too, though, like guns, they are tools which can be used for many purposes.

What isn't speculation is that nutjobs can and do kill people with all manner of tools and that is extremely unlikely to stop.
-Theodore Roosevelt

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 9th Apr, '09, 16:08

azzam wrote:Or racoons
Especially raccoons.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 9th Apr, '09, 16:26

But they are so cute....

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 9th Apr, '09, 18:15

No they are an evil threat to T2K's rubbish and as such must be eliminated.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 9th Apr, '09, 21:03

azzam wrote:No they are an evil threat to T2K's rubbish and as such must be eliminated.
Bet he doesn't try to kill them with a knife.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 10th Apr, '09, 13:10

But I've been more successful killing them with a car (2 vs only 1 with a rifle)! Much easier.
-Theodore Roosevelt

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 10th Apr, '09, 16:14

T2K wrote:But I've been more successful killing them with a car (2 vs only 1 with a rifle)! Much easier.
Sounds like 'entertainment' where you come from consists of getting in the car at night and driving around looking for racoons to off.....gotta love the American South :lol: ;)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 10th Apr, '09, 16:25

slinky wrote:
T2K wrote:But I've been more successful killing them with a car (2 vs only 1 with a rifle)! Much easier.
Sounds like 'entertainment' where you come from consists of getting in the car at night and driving around looking for racoons to off.....gotta love the American South :lol: ;)
Hell, in some counties it's called "going out for dinner."
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 10th Apr, '09, 16:34

Get yourself a shotgun. Proper guns are designed for killing people, shotguns are designed for killing small defenseless animals.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 10th Apr, '09, 18:50

To be accurate, they were possums. And accidental.

Burbage - You do seem to fancy yourself quite the authority on guns and killing people, don't you? My guns and I are unfortunately not in your league, we've never killed anyone nor are we likely to. I'll leave you to it.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 10th Apr, '09, 19:13

So you'd be completely happy to have all your guns fitted with, let's say, an infra red detector and disabling device so that they couldn't shoot people?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Apr, '09, 09:35

T2K wrote: Burbage - You do seem to fancy yourself quite the authority on guns and killing people, don't you? My guns and I are unfortunately not in your league, we've never killed anyone nor are we likely to. I'll leave you to it.
He is Irish afterall. Hell, you sepos were arming the paddy's for years prior to 9/11! [smilie=tease.gif]
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 11th Apr, '09, 16:47

No, they were giving us the money. The Russians were arming us.