No, it's not the end of the world, but.....

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

No, it's not the end of the world, but.....

Post by slinky » 1st Dec, '09, 09:43

Why doesn't UOB open at 9am instead of 9:30am??? I mean, I was there ready to take care of business with them at 9am this morning, but NO. They aren't open yet. :(

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Re: No, it's not the end of the world, but.....

Post by Jedi » 1st Dec, '09, 10:11

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 1st Dec, '09, 10:16

Looked like DBS in HV was open at 9am today. The lobby girls were at their desk by the ATM & cash deposit machines (neither of which were working, btw [smilie=23_3.gif] ) and people were going up the stairs to where the tellers live, so it definitely seemed they were open.

Edit: Out of pure curiosity (and probably lack of anything better to do at the moment :o ) I looked up the hours for the DBS branch in HV -- they actually open at 8:30am! Score one for DBS, eh Jedi?? ;)
http://locator.dbs.com/index.php/branching/grp/210/D/
Last edited by slinky on 1st Dec, '09, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 1st Dec, '09, 10:38

Obviously there are exceptions to any rule, but the general rule of thumb for bank operating hours is 930am. Regardless, it pays to do your research before assuming anything. :)

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 1st Dec, '09, 10:49

Nah, I don't need to research it. I already know it's irritating that in general I can't do more than ATM banking before 9:30am, that I can't even get into the Jelita carpark before 8:30am (I think - maybe it's 8) and that Parisilk and a whole host of other retail shops and entire malls in some cases don't open before 11am........my complaint really has more to do with all the things I can't do when I'm out and about between 8am and 11am - which is most days. Really, I'm just sitting here killing time until about noon or so when I know for sure I'll be able to hit just about everything that's on my list for today - no worries :mrgreen:

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 1st Dec, '09, 11:11

How long have you been in Singapore?

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 1st Dec, '09, 11:23

Fair call, long enough to know better ;) It just got on my nerves more than usual today, that's all [smilie=tease.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Dec, '09, 15:12

Jedi Jedi Jedi......you should know now that women's rages and rants about shopping can not be calmed by pure logic....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 1st Dec, '09, 15:30

slinky wrote:Nah, I don't need to research it. I already know it's irritating that in general I can't do more than ATM banking before 9:30am, that I can't even get into the Jelita carpark before 8:30am (I think - maybe it's 8) and that Parisilk and a whole host of other retail shops and entire malls in some cases don't open before 11am........my complaint really has more to do with all the things I can't do when I'm out and about between 8am and 11am - which is most days. Really, I'm just sitting here killing time until about noon or so when I know for sure I'll be able to hit just about everything that's on my list for today - no worries :mrgreen:
I think the reason behind the late opening times in Singapore is that expat wives usually don't get up until 11 anyway by which they get ready for the gossip lunch followed by afternoon tea [smilie=tease.gif] [smilie=tease.gif]

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Dec, '09, 16:12

Fat Bob wrote:Jedi Jedi Jedi......you should know now that women's rages and rants about shopping can not be calmed by pure logic....
Your job is to listen (or at least appear to) and make sympathetic noises
We are the TPF

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 1st Dec, '09, 16:28

BoD - :lol:

Lichty, since I've mentioned orredi that I'm out & about by around 8am, does this mean I no longer qualify as an 'expat wife'? [smilie=tease.gif]

The day has since turned around, btw, I just received an unexpected call from the 'gate man' who is coming to bring (ok, really it's sell at what I'm sure is an exorbitant price, but what the hell, right?) me the 3rd remote control for my gate that I asked the LL agent for nearly 4 years ago. I must be living right [smilie=w00t.gif]

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 1st Dec, '09, 16:39

We'll be in Perth for the end of the world in a few weeks - the shops there (including supermarkets) close at 5:30 on weekdays, noon on Saturdays, and don't open at all on Sundays...! Whatever will we do?

And no daylight saving either; they trialled it, concluded that it fades the curtains, and decided against it.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 1st Dec, '09, 16:47

Bender wrote:And no daylight saving either; they trialled it, concluded that it fades the curtains, and decided against it.
Love it!!! For years and years and years most of Indiana refused to go on daylight savings time in the summer. The best reason I heard for not doing it was that it would burn the corn. But, they finally gave in and this past summer was their second summer on daylight savings time. I forgot to ask them about the corn when I was there in July though [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 1st Dec, '09, 17:20

slinky wrote: Lichty, since I've mentioned orredi that I'm out & about by around 8am, does this mean I no longer qualify as an 'expat wife'? [smilie=tease.gif]
The opportunity was too good to miss ;)

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 1st Dec, '09, 17:21

Bender wrote:We'll be in Perth for the end of the world in a few weeks - the shops there (including supermarkets) close at 5:30 on weekdays, noon on Saturdays, and don't open at all on Sundays...! Whatever will we do?
Finish work at 3pm?

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 1st Dec, '09, 20:32

BoD wrote:
Fat Bob wrote:Jedi Jedi Jedi......you should know now that women's rages and rants about shopping can not be calmed by pure logic....
Your job is to listen (or at least appear to) and make sympathetic noises
Men are from Mars....
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Bender

Post by Bender » 1st Dec, '09, 20:43

Lichtgestalt wrote:
Bender wrote:We'll be in Perth for the end of the world in a few weeks - the shops there (including supermarkets) close at 5:30 on weekdays, noon on Saturdays, and don't open at all on Sundays...! Whatever will we do?
Finish work at 3pm?
We're not going there to work. At least the drinking establishments will be open, you'll find us there [shots] or on the beach.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 2nd Dec, '09, 00:58

We might see you if we're on the same beach!

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 2nd Dec, '09, 07:04

Ooh Bender you do exaggerate! Besides, I hear rumours they are talking about opening longer hours over there, even on Sundays (shock horror) what will become of them all? My friend just moved to Perth and is having a hard time adjusting to no Sunday shopping...
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Bender

Post by Bender » 2nd Dec, '09, 07:16

Scummy Mummy wrote:We might see you if we're on the same beach!
PM me if you'd like to catch up for a beer or two in Freo or at one of the pubs on Cottesloe beach, or somewhere/something else. We'll be in Perth from 21/12, leaving on NY day.

Pinklepurr wrote:I hear rumours they are talking about opening longer hours over there, even on Sundays (shock horror)...
The talking's been going on for years, but there's been no action. A few years ago stores like Hardly Normal were fined for opening extended weekend hours on the weekends leading up to Christmas. In some ways the restricted hours are a good thing, family bonding and all that.
Last edited by Bender on 2nd Dec, '09, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.