bloody Canon!

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

bloody Canon!

Post by Morrolan » 30th May, '11, 15:31

for suddenly bringing out photo printers that are randomly geographically limited.

so now i can't get ink cartridges for the brand new Pixma 4700 i bought in Australia, because Singapore has different models. WTF!??!!?!? it's the same region! [smilie=23_3.gif]

the Canon service desk's brilliant solution was for me to buy a new printer in Singapore (which would be the Pixma 4870, which is exactly the same, down to the ink cartridges, except they have a different chip).
using the 4870 series cartridges would "void my interntational warranty", which, mind you, is no fucking use to me anyway, since i can't use the bloody thing to begin with...

ironically, i can still without any problems get ink cartridges for my 6 year old Pixma 5200, and they are the same anywhere in the world.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: bloody Canon!

Post by Pinklepurr » 31st May, '11, 21:25

Well, just use them then...void the warranty and not worry about it. What difference will it make if their solution is to buy a new one? How on earth do you get a regional printer? What does it do?

I think Canon are losing it myself, they had always been a favourite, the quality of the prints were great, but after the last two Pixma printers we have had both having the same fault of gripping on to the paper, pulling it diagonally into the machine and promptly ripping it and jamming the machine. Funnily enough I got the same solution given to me by the Canon people in Singapore, their response was to "buy a new one, it will be cheaper") I decided then that I would change, and scarily have bought an HP here in Aus. So far so good...it has lasted longer than the last Canon already!

Personally after loving my Canon Pixma printers I have gone off them completely, the last two I have had both have the same fault, they decide to grip on to the paper and pull it into the machine diagonally...thereby ripping it and jamming the machine.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 1st Jun, '11, 08:52

Pinklepurr wrote:Well, just use them then...void the warranty and not worry about it. What difference will it make if their solution is to buy a new one? How on earth do you get a regional printer? What does it do?
i meant that the printer is only released in a certain region, with a chip in the ink cartridges that will only make it work with those cartridges sold in that area/country.

it's not the voiding of the warranty, it's the inane reply.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 1st Jun, '11, 08:58

Buy from eBay - they're probably cheaper there anyway.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 1st Jun, '11, 10:44

I can buy some and post them to you?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 1st Jun, '11, 10:50

Jedi wrote:Buy from eBay - they're probably cheaper there anyway.
eBay mainly sells fake ink, which i don't want and the real stuff is about as expensive as in the shops, not counting the postage. it's an option, but not a practical or convenient one.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 1st Jun, '11, 10:51

Scrummy Mummy wrote:I can buy some and post them to you?
thank you for the offer, much appreciated, but it's not necessary.

like Jedi said: i can get it from eBay. it's just the inconvenience and the sheer stupidity of the thing.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 1st Jun, '11, 12:35

I'm considering a self-help guide: How to Survive Capitalism.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 1st Jun, '11, 14:11

definitely worth getting the copy inks - or go for the continuous ink systems... I have had the same issue with my old printer
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 22nd May, '12, 14:18

I'm just seeing this now. MX-860. Same printers around the world but the ink is geographically coded.

The printer has served me well and it's a lot better than the previous HP jobby, but I can't see myself buying another Canon printer if they persist with this practice.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.