Strata Law is a joke

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Strata Law is a joke

Post by Kooky » 2nd May, '12, 19:44

Gnnnnngggggggggggggggggg

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 3rd May, '12, 04:28

Ah, bless his deluded little merino wool socks
We are the TPF

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 3rd May, '12, 08:06

Australia is first world? [smilie=24.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 3rd May, '12, 09:59

The tenant certainly has a lot more protection in Australia than he does in Singapore. For example, the Bond/Deposit is not kept by the landlord or agent, it's held in a special government approved account and there has to be some good justification to withhold or deduct from it when a tenant leaves.

Here some owners treat it like a local version of Japan's "key money".
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 3rd May, '12, 12:07

baloo wrote:The tenant certainly has a lot more protection in Australia than he does in Singapore. For example, the Bond/Deposit is not kept by the landlord or agent, it's held in a special government approved account and there has to be some good justification to withhold or deduct from it when a tenant leaves.

not to mention the fact that apparently, when the owner sells the house the tenant could be asked to leave... I thought this was not the case, but recently when a prospective buyer viewwed the house we are renting, the agent whispered to me that 'this one won't require you to leave.' [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 3rd May, '12, 12:19

Morrolan wrote:
baloo wrote:The tenant certainly has a lot more protection in Australia than he does in Singapore. For example, the Bond/Deposit is not kept by the landlord or agent, it's held in a special government approved account and there has to be some good justification to withhold or deduct from it when a tenant leaves.

not to mention the fact that apparently, when the owner sells the house the tenant could be asked to leave... I thought this was not the case, but recently when a prospective buyer viewwed the house we are renting, the agent whispered to me that 'this one won't require you to leave.' [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

It's not legal. You have the right to stay in the unit until your contract expires. Also, if you have a clause that you can extend the contract, that can be enforced as well.

I know some PRs that bought a landed placed that was tenanted. They needed to get URA/SLA approval that the Tenants would in fact not exercise a clause to remain in the unit after the current lease period expired. If tenants refused to sign the guarantee, they wouldn't have been allowed to buy the house. There was no way the owners could legally force them out.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 3rd May, '12, 17:48

The Bond thing here is very good (although we never had a problem in Sg).

The fact that landlords can sell their property and give the tenants very little notice to vacate is not. A colleague is on her 4th property in the 3 years I've know her, and 2 of those were sold for redevelopment.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 3rd May, '12, 18:11

I believe there's a 90 day notice period if on a month-month basis, which I think is fair (landlord hat on here) but guess it could be shorter if the lease is about to expire anyway.

On a side note, I'm sure getting rental bond back here will prove to be an experience - I'm still waiting on mine which was due last month as the landlady "is overseas and not contactable". Yeah, right!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 4th May, '12, 08:09

Actually I have got to say, I observed Singapore even worse.... the terrible behaviours, gauging, and deposit keeping quite terrible there.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg