Totally random rant

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Totally random rant

Post by slinky » 24th Aug, '12, 07:10

Good ones, FurBaby :lol:

Seems like I just saw 'here here' written recently :o

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 24th Aug, '12, 08:09

"here, here" instead of "hear, hear" is a mistake made even by many Brits and Australians.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 24th Aug, '12, 08:17

“Irregardless” - I hate hearing the word.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 24th Aug, '12, 09:19

Morrolan wrote:"here, here" instead of "hear, hear" is a mistake made even by many Brits and Australians.
True. Americans too.

I'm trying to remember one along the lines of 'here here' that I saw the other day. It was basically one of those 'spell it like you hear it' mistakes instead of thinking about what you actually mean to say. And on that note - here are a couple of those that make me nuts that I can think of:

Would of, could of and should of [smilie=23_3.gif]

That may be how it sounds, but you really mean the contraction of would + have = would've (or should've or could've)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 24th Aug, '12, 09:30

I read messed up idioms all the time, but they always make me laugh - some are just smothered in unintended irony. I have a running list of favorites around here somewhere, but can't put my finger on it now. Damn!

EDIT: syntax
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 24th Aug, '12, 09:38

Someone wrote 'good riddens' the other day, Lili. I had a little chuckle at it :D

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 24th Aug, '12, 10:54

One of my favourite notices on doors is, "Please keep the door close", i.e. an instruction to hug the door. Or, "We are close until Monday" implying the shop owners are hiding just around the corner for a couple of days.

Another local habit is the urge to insert a redundant 'actually' into a sentence. I actually heard a senior civil servant on the TV give an entire interview inserting 'actually' into every sentence...actually.

One I hear on the radio quite frequently when DJs are talking about a competition is, "If you are a PR or citizen you are illegible to enter this competition". This presumably means that if you are a citizen or PR and can't write properly you can enter the competition.

Of course there's the age old favourite of melding 'irrespective' with 'regardless' to form 'irregardless'. Drives me nuts. [pullinghair.gif]
http://www.babeled.com/2009/06/24/irreg ... ot-a-word/

And another one...."I would see you next Thursday", instead of, "I will see you next Thursday".
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Aug, '12, 20:32

Spike wrote:One of my favourite notices on doors is, "Please keep the door close", i.e. an instruction to hug the door. Or, "We are close until Monday" implying the shop owners are hiding just around the corner for a couple of days..
Even worse, if you're supposed to keep the door closed, then how you supposed to get to the other side? A door is supposed to be opened, if you keep it closed all the time, wtf?!?!?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 24th Aug, '12, 20:59

I remember a particular favorite now. It was on the Angry Board. Someone said, in all seriousness, that they appreciated reading everyone's incites. I think I laughed for about a week over that.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 24th Aug, '12, 21:13

Suspect with no sense of the irony on their part
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 25th Aug, '12, 00:25

My mother used to say "flustrated" combining the words frustrated and flustered. She knew it was wrong but couldn't stop. It kind of grew on me after a while.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 25th Aug, '12, 04:39

Quite like that one, it might make it's way into my vocab.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th Aug, '12, 09:50

flustrated is good wordplay!

I have to confess, I say "derodorant," an unfortunate mispronunciation imported from New Yawk. I know I'm saying it, but it just comes out.

It's my nucular.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 25th Aug, '12, 10:09

I have to admit to using "actually" way too much, and my sister picked up on my usage of "like" as well. Must come from hanging around with teenagers too much. Every time I say either of them now I cringe. The shame, oh the shame.

Spike, illegible, that is one I remember being used all the time in Singapore, used to crack me up all the time.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 25th Aug, '12, 15:43

Yeah a lot here, I'm trying to think of a few. Not unlike mixed up plurals - pluralising the wrong words, and not pluralising the right ones.

In the movie 2010, the Russian Cosmonaut says to the American astronaut about a tough mission "piece of pie", where he is corrected "piece of cake"; he later remarks to the same guy "easy as cake" and is again corrected "easy as pie".
Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I read messed up idioms all the time, but they always make me laugh - some are just smothered in unintended irony. I have a running list of favorites around here somewhere, but can't put my finger on it now. Damn!
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 25th Aug, '12, 17:18

Pinklepurr wrote:I have to admit to using "actually" way too much, and my sister picked up on my usage of "like" as well. Must come from hanging around with teenagers too much. Every time I say either of them now I cringe. The shame, oh the shame.

Spike, illegible, that is one I remember being used all the time in Singapore, used to crack me up all the time.
'Actually' Pinklepurr...you're not alone with that admission...I am also guilty of using the term too often...D'oh!
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 25th Aug, '12, 19:20

Thanks Duck, glad to know I am not the only one.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 1st Sep, '12, 00:48

Sentences ending in question marks that are statements?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 1st Sep, '12, 06:25

Sardonicus wrote:Sentences ending in question marks that are statements?
Yes that is annoying :D

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 5th Sep, '12, 20:16

Got one! From a recent FB post: "...when the shit hit the ceiling..."
Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I read messed up idioms all the time, but they always make me laugh - some are just smothered in unintended irony. I have a running list of favorites around here somewhere, but can't put my finger on it now. Damn!

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 6th Sep, '12, 21:01

Sardonicus wrote:Got one! From a recent FB post: "...when the shit hit the ceiling..."

Eem it is fan.

Okay new rant
vpost wtf!!?

Arrived the 3rd,still no fecking package

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 6th Sep, '12, 21:22

canuck wrote:Okay new rant
vpost wtf!!?

Arrived the 3rd,still no fecking package
Oh, we're ranting about stuff that hasn't arrived?? Yeah, I can play. CitiBank US -- supposedly sent my debit card on or about Aug. 16. I got the PIN for it about 2 weeks ago via FedEx, but still no card and here we are Sept 6. Was told last week that they can't send the cards via FedEx, they come US Airmail. Where TF is my card, I wonder?? Can't set up online money transfers between US and Sing Citi accounts because some doofus entered Mr. S's birthdate wrong for the US account and, no, they can't tell us what they entered nor can they change it, apparently. We need to 'stop in our local branch' to fix it -- yeah, see you next summer [smilie=23_3.gif] And since I don't have a functioning ATM card I can't set up the money transfers using my name and it wants the birthdate entered (correctly - according to their records) if I try and do it with his ATM card number [smilie=rollingpin.gif]

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 6th Sep, '12, 21:29

Had stanchart send me a card in singers, never showed got a new one weeks later, tell them it is mia send a new obe, immediately! Dammit!

Edit: funnily after phone rant they managed two day delivery

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 6th Sep, '12, 21:41

This rant has prompted another call -- I'm on hold right now. When she told me (again) that the only way to get the birthdate changed was to go into a local branch I said: "Yeah, I'll just hop on a 24 hour flight to Chicago." She then gave me an address where I can send a written request :lol: She's now 'getting some help' - whatever that means, but I hope it results in a 2 day delivery!!

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 6th Sep, '12, 21:46

OK, probably not quite 2 days, but this time they say they are sending the card via FedEx, so hopefully that's an improvement. She also said the PIN I already received will work on the new card......I must admit, I'm a bit skeptical, but we'll see......