Gillard digs in on gay marriage

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Gillard digs in on gay marriage

Post by Joseph27 » 6th Nov, '10, 14:48

I don't understand her absolute reluctance. This new parliament does represent enormous potential for the opposition and greens to get through a legislative agenda despite not being in government. If the libs were serious about bank reform, they could get this through however it would require some progressive thinkers. Gay marriage could also become a conscience vote and the greens could help carry the vote. There may be some obstacles before next July with family first still around but after that, we may get some decent reforms.

Back to Gillard – is it that she paranoid of the religious rights vote despite it being a much smaller influence in Australia? Why would she get behind this?

November 6, 2010 - 4:11PM
Prime Minister Julia Gillard remains opposed to gay unions, putting her at odds with right-wing Labor powerbroker Mark Arbib.

Senator Arbib is the first frontbencher to say he believes his party should support gay marriage.

He says gay people should have the legal right to get married, and MPs should be given a conscience vote on the controversial matter.

"If I was the parent of a gay son or daughter I don't know how I could tell them they didn't have the same rights as I did," Mr Arbib told News Ltd papers.

"I understand the Labor Party platform does not reflect that view at the moment but I hope one day that view changes."

Ms Gillard said Senator Arbib was voicing his personal views and would need to raise the matter at the ALP's national conference if he wanted to change the party's current policy, which opposes gay unions.

"Mark has expressed his personal views and no doubt he will take them to the next national conference, which is the proper place to have this debate," Ms Gillard told reporters in Melbourne today.

"We have currently a party policy, the party policy's crystal clear, that marriage is between a man and a woman.

"That's what the marriage act says and that's how it should stay."

Senator Arbib has major influence in the right faction of the party, which is opposed to gay marriage.

The paper said Senator Arbib's decision to break ranks will cause debate within the party and is aimed at pushing the party to take a progressive lead and bolster its credentials in inner-city seats where it has been losing voters to the Greens.

Left powerbrokers told the paper they want the party to support gay marriage.

AAP
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Gillard digs in on gay marriage

Post by baloo » 6th Nov, '10, 14:51

Joseph27 wrote:I don't understand her absolute reluctance.
Simple isn't it ? The polling suggests it won't go down well with the majority of people in the swing seats. That's why she is against it.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Re: Gillard digs in on gay marriage

Post by Joseph27 » 6th Nov, '10, 16:22

I know - FB will slap me for still being an idealist at heart, but cant they just do the right thing.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."