USA/Guns Redux

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: USA/Guns Redux

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jan, '11, 11:15

I've never seen the topless girls in Cambodia. Maybe I should ask next time. Wonder what will be more: a magazine on an AK47 or the topless girls?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 13th Jan, '11, 11:59

baloo wrote:In the Cambodian gun ranges you can also pay to have them bring in a live cow while you're holding a machine gun. Live chickens are available as well.
Seriously? WTF? Now, to be fair, I've never quite got the whole hunting and killing animals thing anyway, but to have them parade a live cow or some chickens out for me to blow away with a machine gun, well, it's really beyond my comprehension as 'entertainment.' In fact, I'd probably have more than just a few concerns about people who do see that as good entertainment :shock:

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 13th Jan, '11, 12:23

I find it too difficult to kill animals - there is no way I could shoot chickens or cows and call it fun. I like targets and to practice the skill of shooting. Last time in Jakarta I was as good as the person I was with using an automatic 9mm. He just happened to be a policeman who used the range a few times a week so I guess all that the practice with the PS3 and game centres paid off.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 13th Jan, '11, 12:54

One tends to see alot of Westerners/tourists in Cambo who raise more than just a few concerns...

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Jan, '11, 13:00

slinky wrote:
baloo wrote:In the Cambodian gun ranges you can also pay to have them bring in a live cow while you're holding a machine gun. Live chickens are available as well.
Seriously? WTF? Now, to be fair, I've never quite got the whole hunting and killing animals thing anyway, but to have them parade a live cow or some chickens out for me to blow away with a machine gun, well, it's really beyond my comprehension as 'entertainment.' In fact, I'd probably have more than just a few concerns about people who do see that as good entertainment :shock:
Seriously, where's the sport?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jan, '11, 14:07

Oh, I declined the chicken when asked. Had I known about the topless girls I may have not declined them (though probably would have still declined the chicken).

I can see the sport in killing an animal in the wild. Especially if one eats it afterwards. Whether it be fishing (anyone seen Robson Green Extreme Fishing on BBC Lifestyle?), shooting, bow and arrows, whatever, it sounds like I would enjoy it. Unless I mised and went hungry.

But horses for courses, I see no reason to go with any automatic weapon to do such hunting. Single shot, or at best, semi-automatic rifle is all that is required. Not worth taking an uzi to a duck hunt.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 13th Jan, '11, 15:53

I've heard that too about Cambodia (though the topless girls part is new). Oh, and also that you can fire an anti-tank round with an RPG. I assumed there was some big exagerration built in. Never been there and not into hunting (or executing?) animals, so I won't be finding out myself though. I would like to fire an RPG at an old car full of explosive-rigged cans of paint, that would be cool.

J27 - It's just a 9mm Glock pistol, not a Romulan Death Ray! Semi-auto, high-capacity 9mm pistols have been around for a century. The glock is just a few ounces lighter than, say, a Luger P08 due to the polymer frame.

Edited for unacceptable typo!
Last edited by T2K on 14th Jan, '11, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Jan, '11, 16:01

T2K wrote:I would like to fire an RPG at an old car full of explosive-rigged cans of paint, that would be cool.
Now that sounds like a lot more fun than shooting some poor old cow!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jan, '11, 16:40

RPGs are available, or at least it said so on the list of things. I think US$200, or may have been more.

One of my friends with a muslim name wanted to do it, video it, and shout "Allah Akbar" just before pulling the trigger!

Poppy Appeal

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 13th Jan, '11, 18:08

The gun issue is a sideshow... The new orwellian word is "incendiary speech"
Lawmakers consider new curbs on incendiary speech

The Hill's Russell Berman reports: "Shocked and saddened lawmakers grappled on Monday with the weekend shooting of one of their own, with some suggesting that new laws and regulations are needed to curb incendiary speech."

"Slaughter cited Palin’s use of gun sights to target Democrats in last year’s election and the assertion by Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle (R) that 'Second Amendment remedies' might be needed to stop the Democratic agenda

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valle ... peech-regs

So they propose to limit the first amendment to save everyone from the second... Welcome to the USSA.
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 13th Jan, '11, 19:46

T2K wrote:J27 - It's just a 9mm Glock pistol, not a Romulan Death Ray! Semi-auto, high-capacity 9mm pistols have been around for a century. The glock is just a few ounces lighter then, say, a Luger P08 due to the polymer frame.
I know but the 33 round clip sounds like a bit of overkill pardon the very distateful pun. I do like the glock, I tried a number of handguns - the 44 wasn't what I had expected after growing up on dirty harry. I want to try to RPG - it would be nice to fire them on burmese generals [smilie=groovy.gif]

I haven't had fortune to use an AK47 yet - most common gun in the world but it still eludes me.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 13th Jan, '11, 19:54

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:
T2K wrote:I would like to fire an RPG at an old car full of explosive-rigged cans of paint, that would be cool.
Now that sounds like a lot more fun than shooting some poor old cow!
I think shooting the wife isn't an option.... ;)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jan, '11, 20:21

Cambodia is the place. That's the cheapest one to try, the M15 is a bit more expensive. Got a good kick to it, more than I remember from the SLR (FN FAL to those not used to British Army weapons).

Poppy Appeal

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 14th Jan, '11, 00:35

Why Arabs use suicide bombers

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 14th Jan, '11, 10:02

What ever happened to. "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me"?

When they said the meek shall inherit the earth who woulda ever thought it meant feelings are so fragile they shoot you for offending them.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 14th Jan, '11, 10:05

FB- What's an M15? I assume you don't mean M16 - because the recoil on that (5.56mm) is nothing compared to a FAL (7.62mm).

Skank - I've seen that video before and wondered what the story is. I'm sure it's out there on the net somewhere. The rifle must be a one of a kind in some custom made "wildcat" caliber. The full video has white guys shooting it too.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 14th Jan, '11, 11:40

The only comment I have to make on this is: why is the murder of a nine year old born on 9/11 an "irony of ironies"?

Someone doesn't know what ironic means.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 14th Jan, '11, 13:03

Fresh Mint wrote:The only comment I have to make on this is: why is the murder of a nine year old born on 9/11 an "irony of ironies"?

Someone doesn't know what ironic means.
Yes, along with someone trying to make a story where there isn't one. A nine-year-old girl was murdered - I think that's quite enough of a story :(

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Jan, '11, 13:44

T2K wrote:FB- What's an M15? I assume you don't mean M16 - because the recoil on that (5.56mm) is nothing compared to a FAL (7.62mm).

Skank - I've seen that video before and wondered what the story is. I'm sure it's out there on the net somewhere. The rifle must be a one of a kind in some custom made "wildcat" caliber. The full video has white guys shooting it too.
Wow, just re-read my post, totally unclear. What I meant to say was:

Cambodia is the place [to try the AK47]. [The AK47] is the cheapest one to try, the M15[6] is a bit more expensive. [The AK47] has G[g]ot a good kick to it, more than I remember from the SLR (FN FAL to those not used to British Army weapons).

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 14th Jan, '11, 14:03

OK, all clear after those <few and minor> clarifications.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 14th Jan, '11, 14:50

I am booking a holiday for May when a friend from Iceland visits - that will rock. Don't want to blow up a cow, don't want to kill a chicken but am happy to fire an RPG, an AK47, handguns whilst enjoying an icecold beer....

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 14th Jan, '11, 15:06

Joseph27 wrote:I am booking a holiday for May when a friend from Iceland visits - that will rock. Don't want to blow up a cow, don't want to kill a chicken but am happy to fire an RPG, an AK47, handguns whilst enjoying an icecold beer....
Shooting and Alcohol at the same time ? Would you get offended if I call you a dickhead ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 14th Jan, '11, 15:17

Light beer? truthfully there is no way you would want to mix them so the icecold beer is for afterwards

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 14th Jan, '11, 16:12

Correct - alcohol and guns do not mix.

You can't go wrong if you follow the Four Rules:

1. Treat all guns like they are a loaded until you physically confirm otherwise.
2. Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Be sure of your target and the backstop (or what's beyond the target).

That last one is important and often overlooked. So, in Cambodia, before you lock that 50 round belt into your M-60 and close the cover, remember to fire in short bursts so you don't put rounds over the top of the berm that end up in some village 2 clicks away.
-Theodore Roosevelt