Gay marriage - what's it all about then?

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Gay marriage - what's it all about then?

Post by Fat Bob » 11th May, '12, 13:51

Joseph27 wrote:So Obama has come out in support of same sex marriage - I can't see anyway it really helps his reelection campaign - in fact in the key swing states, it may end up hurting him so hats off to Mr POTUS for taking the moral high ground.... bad luck the Aussie PM lacks that sense of integrity or honestly.
You think Obama has any integrity or honesty just because he's come out in support of same-sex marriage? He's a politician, he's doing it for support. Simple.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 11th May, '12, 15:33

slinky wrote:
Morrolan wrote:no, it does not make it right, and i don't know about you, but i didn't get involved in gay bashing when i was young, thank you very much.

this says quite a fair bit about the general character of the man: he's a bully. a bully aiming to become the president of arguably still our most powerful nation. i don't care when it happened, but that makes it very relevant. once a bully, always a bully.
I didn't say anything about it being right, M. And, no, I wasn't involved in gay bashing either as a teenager (obviously). I guess my main point was the level of mud-slinging that has apparently become the norm in elections. Frankly, I don't think either of them are all that great and I'm tired of having to try and pick the lesser of 2 poor choices.
no doubt about that. i guess that i think that this sort of revelation does not really equal the baseless mudslinging that sometimesoccurs (Kerry and the Vietnam thing).

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 12th May, '12, 13:28

Fat Bob wrote:
Joseph27 wrote:So Obama has come out in support of same sex marriage - I can't see anyway it really helps his reelection campaign - in fact in the key swing states, it may end up hurting him so hats off to Mr POTUS for taking the moral high ground.... bad luck the Aussie PM lacks that sense of integrity or honestly.
You think Obama has any integrity or honesty just because he's come out in support of same-sex marriage? He's a politician, he's doing it for support. Simple.
Inasmuch as the media likes to portray the electorate as enlightened and forward thinking, gay marriage remains very contentious and constitutionally outlawed across most of the USA. For FOX to say that he is being a populist strikes me as strange - it could end up costing him support in some key swing states. It wasn't as straight forward as saying Obama is purely doing for support - Gillard in Australia maintains a position that is purely opportunistic and clearly demonstrates her lack of character - I see Obama more positively for taking this stand.

Mitt Romney certainly comes across as someone who enjoyed things Mormons possibly shouldn't
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."