How far would Singaporean's xenophobia go

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: How far would Singaporean's xenophobia go

Post by baloo » 15th May, '12, 19:52

Jimmy McGarret wrote:As we can see, there has been an increase in anti-foreigners sentiment in recent months. The unfortunate car incident at Bugis recently has led to a lash out against Foreign Talent (FT), in particular China Chinese people. How much worse do you think this trend of 'hating' will become?
The resentment has always been there. How vocal and how much press it gets depends on the government's desires at the time.

When I got here it was Aussies they hated, thanks to Pauline Hanson. Then it was Indian nationals who came out when the big Singapore LCLL push came from the government coaxing companies to centralize operations here.

Now it's mainland Chinese who are copping the brunt.

It doesn't matter much. Singapore needs immigrants to survive. The government will keep bringing them in making the odd concession to the locals to keep them happy.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 16th May, '12, 09:53

aside from the xenophobic angle, i do think they should speed limit all cars at 120kph. let's see how many Ferraris, Lamborghinis and whatnot they'll sell then.

it is insane that they still won't sell chewing gum, but do let these idiotic cars drive around an overcrowded city where there's no road with a speed limit over 90 kph.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 16th May, '12, 10:10

Morrolan wrote:it is insane that they still won't sell chewing gum, but do let these idiotic cars drive around an overcrowded city where there's no road with a speed limit over 90 kph.
And, is it just me, or are there an disproportionate amount of these kinds of cars for the population here??

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 16th May, '12, 10:36

I think the media is a big problem .As i have mentioned before some of the sites that have the worst examples of racism and xenophobia are owned by the ST. There seems to be no moderation at all and anybody can put a picture up and make statements with no comeback. This contrasts with the UK where twitter users have been sent to prison for racists comments made on twitter.

In addition the lazy ST and Asiaone journalists just trawl the websites and forums looking for stories . They then will find one idiot making a blog post and put that story up as their main story.

This happened this week with the taxi driver story when one idiot said this serves the taxi right for getting in the way of the Ferarri . The story was allegedly a blog post from somebody from China ( who knows if its real or just a fake post from somebody with an axe to grind) posted on Hardwarezone. Typical of the nutters you get in any forum .

So what is just one post from an idiot gets picked up by ST and Asia one and run with it. This becomes the most read story on their page . Then everybody re-posts its on their Facebook and the racial tension rises one more notch.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 16th May, '12, 11:19

spot on, EPY: same with the blog post about the front airbag in the cab not deploying because Comfort removed them from the cabs to save money.

firstly, a side impact will not cause the steering wheel airbag to deploy.
secondly, Comfort removing pre-fitted airbags to save money is a contradiction in terms.

the cabs may not come with airbags, which is a whole different issue, but no amount of airbag saves your life during a 150kph side impact.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 16th May, '12, 19:21

Airbags? Airbags? Lucky to have 4 wheels / doors/ windows on the Manila cabs!

And one can forget about seat belts, most have been taken out....easier for the passengers to escape without paying perhaps? !
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 16th May, '12, 21:40

Not to distract from the main topic, but actually they do now. You have to get it at the chemist counter, they present the two choices available out from behind the locked glass door of the controlled substances cabinet, and make you sign your name and NRIC. Which is at least as idiotic as banning it.

I also agree with EY - a local I'm connected to on FB posted and ranted just like that, and it becomes a feeding frenzy.
Morrolan wrote:it is insane that they still won't sell chewing gum, but do let these idiotic cars drive around an overcrowded city where there's no road with a speed limit over 90 kph.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 16th May, '12, 23:01

And you don't see similar posts against whatever in the US, UK, Australia and every other country in the world? Ha!

20 years ago, the same issues existed but the internet wasn't a big thing. Now any moron with computer can air their views and opinions. And we all know that opinions are just like ar$eholes: everyone has them and mostly full of sh!t.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 17th May, '12, 07:33

Ah, one of FB's favourite lines makes a comeback.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 17th May, '12, 09:35

Fat Bob wrote: 20 years ago, the same issues existed but the internet wasn't a big thing. Now any moron with computer can air their views and opinions.
That's a point. And given this fact, as mentioned above, it certainly doesn't help when 'journalists' use these kinds of comments as the focus for a story. What happened to going out and talking to real people face-to-face when you are writing what is supposed to be a news story?? How can they justify using online comments as the truth unless they actually talk to the individual behind the comments to clarify meaning etc.??

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 17th May, '12, 15:57

slinky wrote:
And, is it just me, or are there an disproportionate amount of these kinds of cars for the population here??
There's definitely a disproportionate number of supercars here. Drive through the car park at Marina Bay Residences and you'll see Ferraris, Lambos, exotic Porches and Aston Martins lined up side by side. Must be murder driving them in the stop/start traffic here, which is why they go berserk at night and kill themselves/others.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 18th May, '12, 02:48

..and a lot of unusual Balconies, Verandas and Decks too
We are the TPF

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 18th May, '12, 03:03

Would it have made a difference if it was a
Singaporean with a souped up Subaru? The toy was just more expensive and the chick he was trying to
impress probably had a shorter skirt

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 18th May, '12, 12:37

"Would it have made a difference if it was a
Singaporean with a souped up Subaru?"

Yes, it would have made a difference - it would not have been much of an issue at all since no foreigners were involved. Foreigners are a super hot button topic here.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 18th May, '12, 15:32

T2K wrote:"Would it have made a difference if it was a
Singaporean with a souped up Subaru?"

Yes, it would have made a difference - it would not have been much of an issue at all since no foreigners were involved. Foreigners are a super hot button topic here.
Agree, but it only makes a difference in the public opinion and gives a reason to complain about FT stealing their jobs, etc. There have been supercars in SG before and I'm sure you had speeding cars through the city in the early hours on weekends or motorbikes doing 200 on Lornie road :shock:

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 18th May, '12, 19:14

That's quite a well thought out, balanced and reasonable article. And it came from the internet in Singapore? All the more amazing!
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 19th May, '12, 13:53

well written, well thought out.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 21st May, '12, 20:41

Well articulated yes, but rubbish.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 22nd May, '12, 12:44

Why? An assertion of "rubbish" with no substance is, well, rubbish.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 22nd May, '12, 22:28

You mean other than being a treatise on xenophobia, racism, elitism, hypocrisy for a start?