Persecuted Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Persecuted Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador

Post by baloo » 21st Jun, '12, 22:05

canuck wrote:As read in slate, and a few other accounts, even if they had sex once, and later he either bullied her into sex without a condom, or did something while she is asleep (needs to be proven) then yes might possibly be considered so... Bullying someone into it is not really consent...
I haven't read anywhere where either woman felt bullied. I wouldn't mind reading those accounts if you have the links handy.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 22nd Jun, '12, 05:47

http://feministing.com/2010/12/14/naomi ... %E2%80%9D/

The sad part of this entire case is simply that most people don't care - they get to the headlines, say this guy is an asshole and a rapist and deserves what he gets. There is so much more at stake though.

As it stands it seems that his escape from Britain is doomed. I thought that diplomatic embassy cars were also treated as defacto parts of the embassy but it seems that the British police are going to grab him the moment he leaves the embassy. If he is offered residency from Ecuador - perhaps he is hoping that they will help fight the eventual extradition to the US because the Australia sure doesn't care.

Just a quick side note - recently the American President resided over a reclassification of neighbors of suspected terrorists as enemy combatants and so have now removed a key concern of collateral damage... if you live next door, you must know who they are and therefor deserve to die just as much as they do. This is from Obama - not Bush, but using the apparatus that Bush firmly established, we know that Obama has expanded it to kill an American citizen, to embark on a targeted campaign of summarily killing insurgents... we know this because it was leaked.

This is why Wikileaks is important, the work they do makes a difference to keep our political overlords in check. They are doing their utmost to destroy this network and it is important that people realize what is at stake.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 22nd Jun, '12, 06:15

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... eline.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/se ... estigation

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... _rape.html

http://ludditejourno.wordpress.com/2011 ... aomi-wolf/
a good blog I think, although a bit slanted

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/world ... wanted=all

Proof required, I do not think Sweden can bury him on these charges and send him to gitmo...
why did they reopen it? pushed by govts? hmm could we not bury this guy more easily? really? if it were an attempt to quiet him?

if they really wanted to smear him, wouldn't more women would come forward?
do we dismiss these women? or try to break them? or discredit them.. seems to be the media's tack.....

the smear (if the allegations are there) can he not prove he didn't do it?

he's hiding in a Ecuadorian embassy...

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Jun, '12, 13:10

[quote="canuck"]the smear (if the allegations are there) can he not prove he didn't do it? [quote]

well, you'd expect the burden of roof to be on the accuser, not the other way around...

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 25th Jun, '12, 14:31

As far as I know (and have read) for the time being Sweden only wants him for a hearing not put him in front of a judge immediately.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 25th Jun, '12, 14:52

Lichtgestalt wrote:As far as I know (and have read) for the time being Sweden only wants him for a hearing not put him in front of a judge immediately.
That is right and in any normal situation he would be able to present himself at the consulate office in London or at a police station where Swedish investigators would be able to question him. In this case they have refused and demanded his return to Sweden for question after which they will determine if a case is to proceed.

The official government line in Australia now is that the US does not want to extradite him and if they did they would have done it already because it is easier to get extradition from the UK than Sweden. My main issue with that is that if and when charges come through, the UK process would be a lot more focused on the potential outcome of an extradition to the US whereas such proceedings in Sweden will be behind closed doors.

Given the way the case has proceeded - the US would attract a great of attention now if they do seek extradition so its all up in the air. I would hazard a guess and say Assange will be denied asylum and walk from the embassy into police customer where we will be immediately sent to Sweden to face charges. From there now its really unknown territory
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 27th Jun, '12, 07:58

Morrolan wrote:
well, you'd expect the burden of roof to be on the accuser, not the other way around...
And this is why many women do not come forward....

Prove it you say!

this is what the court is for..

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 27th Jun, '12, 14:21

canuck wrote:
Morrolan wrote:
And this is why many women do not come forward....

Prove it you say!

this is what the court is for..
Umm...you still would have to prove it in court, the court doesn't the proving for you

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 27th Jun, '12, 17:30

what Lichty said...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Jun, '12, 17:52

Morrolan wrote:what Lichty said...
But hopefully with better use of the English language!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 27th Jun, '12, 18:42

Only missing the "do" is

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Jun, '12, 20:05

Lichtgestalt wrote:Only missing the "do" is
Missing the "do" is so important:

Your four-legged friend: g
The mess your four-legged friend makes: g
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 27th Jun, '12, 20:26

Yes well, That was the whole point, to go to court... Where They can make thier cases to prove or not

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 27th Jun, '12, 20:35

canuck wrote:Yes well, That was the whole point, to go to court... Where They can make thier cases to prove or not
:fblike:
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 29th Jun, '12, 08:31

quite interesting to then compare the goings on with the Assange situation with this case.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06 ... _hp_ref=uk

Maybe someone needs a girlfriend in the Ministry of Justice in the UK ....
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg