Echos of Obama's 2004 convention speech

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Echos of Obama's 2004 convention speech

Post by Joseph27 » 5th Sep, '12, 12:15

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2012/09 ... onvention/

This was a pretty good speech and Julian Castros has a great presence. It seems amazing that with the base of the GOP - the ones who spoke were fairly average. The democrats seem to have a more charismatic pool of talent... The GOP does have Marco Rubio who is also great to listen to but if one hopes to win anything in the GOP it seems you must be willing to say you hate abortion, you hate welfare and all your inspiration comes from Jesus...

Anyway - I know Fat Bob at the end of the day - it makes no real difference
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Echos of Obama's 2004 convention speech

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Sep, '12, 15:17

Compare Obama's 2004 Convention Speech to his 2008 Election promises to 2012 actual things he's done.

And then you wonder why I think the majority of politicians are crooks and none of them are really doing anything particularly useful or anything which makes that much difference.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 5th Sep, '12, 20:53

Fat Bob wrote:Compare Obama's 2004 Convention Speech to his 2008 Election promises to 2012 actual things he's done.

And then you wonder why I think the majority of politicians are crooks and none of them are really doing anything particularly useful or anything which makes that much difference.
Hope... hope that one day a politician can make a difference but realize that that only exists in fiction... no politician, no leader can really make a difference with total media scrutiny now. Oh well - Michelle Obama is certainly a good speak... it pays to get lesson in speech delivery
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Sep, '12, 23:48

Don't you get fed up of your hopes being quashed by the complete ineptitude and possibly criminal behaviour of these guys?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 6th Sep, '12, 14:09

FB - I am salesman, I smile through rejections, I smile through complaints - and I keep persisting until I get a yes. I always have hope, I always work and pursue with hope in mind _ I do however recognize that politicians are generally lying assholes and my hope is generally in vein.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 6th Sep, '12, 14:24

Joseph27 wrote:FB - I am salesman, I smile through rejections, I smile through complaints - and I keep persisting until I get a yes. I always have hope, I always work and pursue with hope in mind _ I do however recognize that politicians are generally lying assholes and my hope is generally in vein.
*vain...

[smilie=tease.gif]

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 6th Sep, '12, 14:39

Morrolan wrote:
Joseph27 wrote:FB - I am salesman, I smile through rejections, I smile through complaints - and I keep persisting until I get a yes. I always have hope, I always work and pursue with hope in mind _ I do however recognize that politicians are generally lying assholes and my hope is generally in vein.
*vain...

[smilie=tease.gif]
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]
My thoughts exactly ;)

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 6th Sep, '12, 15:48

Politicians just react to their respective electorates (in countries with elections). So, we get what we deserve.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 6th Sep, '12, 19:58

T2K wrote:Politicians just react to their respective electorates (in countries with elections). So, we get what we deserve.
Damn Alaska must be one messed place to have ended up with Palin one time... maybe its gotten better since then...

Oh thanks for the grammar correction... [smilie=kiss.gif]

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 6th Sep, '12, 20:29

If the race was about speeches, Bill Clinton just won Gold. [smilie=bowdown.gif]
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 7th Sep, '12, 01:55

Bubba knocked it out of the park
Anytime the camera panned on the audience they were all eyes forward & up hanging on to every word

Even my DW & 12 year old son, who never watch this kind of thing, sat in the family room & watched it

Obama is good speechmaker but Bubba is the great communicator
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 7th Sep, '12, 05:59

I thought it was salespeople that were lying assholes (Just joking, my Dad was a salesman).
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 7th Sep, '12, 07:40

sluggo wrote:
I thought it was salespeople that were lying assholes (Just joking, my Dad was a salesman).
Well it must be said that it is a reputation that is often deserved for many salespeople (though not for your dad or myself)... personally I like to make friends and sell to friends who keep coming back to me. I do seminars and presentations to rooms full of people and make sure that by the end, I have a room full of people who are happy to buy and you know how I do it? I don't tell them anything, I don't sell them anything - all I need to do is facilitate a dialogue around their needs and lead them to the promised land. If you can do it properly - it is still one of the best paid jobs you can get and quite fun