Singapore Citizenship

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Singapore Citizenship

Post by JJ » 23rd Apr, '13, 11:18

Am thinking of taking this up and "converting"... which means that I will give up being a British Citizen.

Reasons are pretty varied but straightforward: summed up, I just think that personally and economically Singapore might be a better fit now for me longer term. I cant see myself going back to the UK to live. My family has been in Singapore (on and off) since 1990. My mum who also lives here would also want to take this up so its beneficial to her.

My family is all PR but when I thought about why I might want to hold on to being a British Citizen, the only thing I could come up with was that it offers free & easy access to all of Europe, but I have been told that you get that also with Singaporean citizenship.

Anyway, still toying with the idea; part of me says go for it, part of me says its a big thing... Anyone out there done it? Anyone got any things beyond the above they think I should consider? (I have googled/searched, but only found stuff from waaay back in 02-08 so not recent).

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Re: Singapore Citizenship

Post by expat yorkshire » 23rd Apr, '13, 11:39

JJ

Speak to spike on this . I know he has applied and was rejected .

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 23rd Apr, '13, 16:46

In your case, it sounds like the right plan. The main obstacle to me is merely the concept of patriotism, land of my fathers, etc. Plus I intend to return to the US since I think the quality of life is better for a family (which I don't yet have).
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 23rd Apr, '13, 17:49

Yep, I was rejected twice. The second time my application was supported by a Permanent Secretary and an MP. Didn't make any difference. An immigration consultant (who in hindsight I should have gone to in the first place) told me three things count against me, age, I don't pay CPF (cos I only pay myself Director's Fees instead of a salary) and I don't employ any Singaporeans (or anyone come that matter). The consultant suggested I pay myself a nominal salary, pay CPF for the next 12 months and then apply again through him, with proof of my CPF payment track record. I'm currently looking at Penang and the Malaysian "My Second Home" scheme for retirement if Singapore doesn't want me.

Getting PR or citizenship is tough at the moment due to tight quotas.

Don't worry about renouncing your British Passport. You can get it back if you really want it in the future.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Apr, '13, 18:12

JJ, yes you can regain British Citizenship. If you did become a Singapore citizen, then I would suggest you get the British citizenship back as soon as possible, as you never know when they will change the rules.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 23rd Apr, '13, 22:00

Well I am Signaporean by birth and Singapore citizenship offers easy access to most of Europe but you can't work there so that is the big difference I guess.