Pro life?

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Pro life?

Post by daffodil » 14th Nov, '12, 19:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

Pro-life? Not for the Mother it would seem.

Appalling.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Pro life?

Post by Kooky » 14th Nov, '12, 19:37

Angry. Sad. No, fucking angry.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 14th Nov, '12, 19:42

Totally at a loss for words. I mean, it was clear there was no saving that fetus and so in their 'wisdom' they opt to lose the mother too?? FFS.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Nov, '12, 22:07

Don't know why, but I think you're all being rather harsh here.

I certainly don't think it's a pro-life/pro-choice issue.

I also think complications during the pregnancy were the cause of the death. Could those complications (and the seriousness of the complications) have been predicted prior to the stopping of the heartbeat of the baby? Not sure, I wasn't there.

We also don't know how old the foetus was: I'm presuming it was past the standard time for which pregnancies are allowed to be terminated due to the foetus heartbeat (though I'm taking a wild guess there).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 15th Nov, '12, 07:09

Seems like that article has changed, FB, I swear I read she was 17 weeks along in it yesterday.

Anyway, this one confirms that number.

edit: link

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 15th Nov, '12, 07:24

If the Mother requested a termination at 17 weeks and was refused, pro-choice issue is exactly the point? Would it have saved her life ? Perhaps or not but the fact remains that she was not given the option and from what's been reported so far it was due to religious reasons rather medical.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 15th Nov, '12, 07:34

Keep in mind she didn't request a termination on a whim or because she didn't want the baby - she was going through what sounds like a painful and maybe unusual miscarriage and requested a termination to end it.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 15th Nov, '12, 07:57

haven't read update articles, but on a note, I readd first article last night, it said 17wks
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Nov, '12, 08:01

OK, with a few more facts it does make it different.

Yes, it seems the doctors did mishandle this quite badly. There are precedents in Irish law which allow for abortion for the life and health of the mother. However, obviously the law is far too complicated in order for doctors to make life-changing decisions that will help the mother.

I'm already seeing pressure being put on the Irish government to clarify their laws. Let's hope it does.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 15th Nov, '12, 12:30

Glad you all cleared that up - I was sure it mentioned the weeks and was baffled this morning when I went back to it after seeing Bob's initial comment.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Nov, '12, 13:09

Didn't mention weeks gone when I read it, still didn't when I read it again this morning....and just checked, doesn't mention now.

Poppy Appeal

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 15th Nov, '12, 13:11

Completely ashamed to be Irish right now - I know from having spoken to people in the field that whether or not they are pro-choice or not that if they actually aborted, for the most part it wouldn't be worth their career to do it. Yet seemingly the life of the mother is supposedly important...I hope this changes the way abortion is handled in Ireland..I am so abhorred and upset by this...really 17 weeks...i'm sure the septic shock would have been prevented with an early abortion - absolutely disgraceful.....
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 15th Nov, '12, 13:18

What a shocking state of affairs that is. What happened to the idea that hospitals are there to give you the best medical assistance possible? That is so sad.

Oh, and FB, it never had weeks mentioned when I read it either, yesterday or today.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 15th Nov, '12, 15:21

chocolate wrote:I know from having spoken to people in the field that whether or not they are pro-choice or not that if they actually aborted, for the most part it wouldn't be worth their career to do it.
How awful for the medical staff who were forced into having to make such a call/choice. Seems to me that would be one of those scenarios that would haunt you for the rest of your life.
chocolate wrote:I am so abhorred and upset by this...really 17 weeks...i'm sure the septic shock would have been prevented with an early abortion - absolutely disgraceful.....
That was my thought, Choc. A needless death - it almost surely could have been prevented.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Nov, '12, 16:26

Pinklepurr wrote:What a shocking state of affairs that is. What happened to the idea that hospitals are there to give you the best medical assistance possible? That is so sad.

Oh, and FB, it never had weeks mentioned when I read it either, yesterday or today.
You're reading a very biased view from the family who have lost both an unborn child and the mother. We know very little about the health of the mother when first presented at hospital. We know very little about the progression of the symptoms. We know very little about the health of the mother between doctors legally being able to carry our an abortion and before the mother was too ill to undergo the procedure.

We know, and they should have known, that abortion can not be demanded in Ireland. It is only something that can be given under very special circumstances. In retrospect, it's always easy to say "this should have been done"...well, in retrospect, maybe the parents should have had second thoughts about having kids in a country that has such draconian laws.

This is a tragedy. Ireland's abortion laws (due to ill health of mother) do need sorting out. We have no idea whether those laws, the doctors actions or in-actions, or the parents actions or in-actions could have prevented this situation or made this situation worse.

Poppy Appeal