Is there no humanity left on this island ?

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Is there no humanity left on this island ?

Post by expat yorkshire » 29th Jan, '13, 09:41

WTF is wrong with some people in Singapore .

In response to the tragic death of a a pair of siblings from Dunman school who got knocked down by a cement mixer.

Asiaone forum a site linked to the ST felt that it was ok to publish a picture of the accident showing the mangled bodies of the two boys and then the inevitable comments

could be prc....HOSEI LIAO!!!....2 less FTrash burden!!!

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Re: Is there no humanity left on this island ?

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 29th Jan, '13, 10:22

Yeah, I saw one of the picture.....heart-wrenching
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Jan, '13, 10:26

I didn't see any pictures, thank God. I'm fortunate that my FB friends have the decency not to share that kind of thing - actually I read a couple of online appeals asking people to remove the photos and not share out of respect for the grieving family.

I am unaware of the Asiaone forum comments. That's just shameful.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Jan, '13, 21:35

The Straits Times along with other Singapore printed press have, in the past, shown photos in all their gore in road traffic accidents. So for AsiaOne to show it is no surprise.

As for the comments - there's idiots everywhere. I've seen several comments (both before and after) from the PM about online behaviour - hell, I think here is a very well self-moderated area. There are rarely idiotic statements like those posted on other Singapore-based forums, both media ones and privately run ones. We are an exception.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Calatrava
Limp Member
Mood: Anxious

Post by Calatrava » 26th Mar, '13, 16:18

The xenophobia is just spinning out of control. Although I believe these negative sentiments are not directed at us, the 'Ang mohs' but rather at the expats from Philippines, China..After all, Caucasians have been here since the 80's and we have assimilated in just fine.
Blame no one but yourself for any failures. Similarly any success is also all you and you alone.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 27th Mar, '13, 05:43

Into the Singaborg?
We are the TPF

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 27th Mar, '13, 10:23

Calatrava wrote:The xenophobia is just spinning out of control. Although I believe these negative sentiments are not directed at us, the 'Ang mohs' but rather at the expats from Philippines, China..After all, Caucasians have been here since the 80's and we have assimilated in just fine.
Though I've only been here since the 90's personally, I am pretty sure that whiteys have been here for a bit longer than that. Since day one of Singapore independence, to be precise. If my hometown was awash in foreign citizens to the degree that Singapore is, I would have some animosity too, even if I understood why they were there.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt