Oblivion and I dont give it a year

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Oblivion and I dont give it a year

Post by Joseph27 » 15th Apr, '13, 21:58

Call it boredom - but managed to see both films over the last week. The other night I bought a ticket for Oblivion and then immediately changed once I saw that I dont give it a year was on. Glad I switched - I needed to laugh and managed to do a few times most ostensibly at the tall lanky Steve Merchant. The cheeky sod did a Ricky Gervais dialogue but it was worth watching just for that. Totally inappropriate character and a tad overplayed but at least I got to laugh. Film wise I enjoyed it - it was a touch hit and miss at different times but some core scenes held it together and made worth while.

Oblivion - well I didn't expect much and I wasn't disappointed... It did have potential to be a good film but it seemed to get a bit lost along the way. The drones were sensational - and gives a glimpse into our drones 10 to 20 or so years from now. Wouldnt blow a gold glass on this but a $6.50 DBS special was fine
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Oblivion and I dont give it a year

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Apr, '13, 23:14

Enjoyed Oblivion in the same way I enjoyed Prometheus. I suppose there was a lot you could have predicted, but overall it kept me happy.

Oh, and Gold Class is $20 for a few weeks midweek (GV movie club). My advice: don't go, you get the general scum in there. Phone calls, Carl's Jnr burgers and photos. You can't teach class.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 17th Apr, '13, 11:34

Saw "I don't give it a year" on the plane. It helped pass the time, but I wouldn't say it was a good movie.
Spoiler: toggle
They marry too early, then discover they're not compatible and want to be with other people. DUH!! That's basically the whole movie. Plus I found the movie unneccessarily negative towards marriage. If you marry the wrong person then what do you expect?

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 21st Apr, '13, 22:40

As I was prepared not to like it too much, plus to have and sit through a Tom Cruise movie, I found it pretty good. See it on a big screen, the screen I saw it on wasn't as big as some here and there are some great visuals.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 22nd Apr, '13, 18:42

Don't rate 'I give it a year' highly, but Joseph27 is right...Steve Merchant played his cringe worthy character well, had quite a few laugh out loud moments! :-)
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 22nd Apr, '13, 22:17

Duck wrote:Don't rate 'I give it a year' highly, but Joseph27 is right...Steve Merchant played his cringe worthy character well, had quite a few laugh out loud moments! :-)
Made me snort a few times too :lol:
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 28th Apr, '13, 22:59

Just returned from watching Iron Man 3 in Pacific Place in Jakarta... the fact that I have included it here means I can't be assed starting a new post... seems amazing that we so many effects and so much money spent - I was so totally bored.
Ben Kingsly is a highly and Robert Downy is always fun to watch...

Oh well - at least it was Indonesia and even though I had to buy 11 seats for family and kids and nephews and nieces it still ended up costing me less than a night out in Gold Class in Singapore.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 29th Apr, '13, 01:31

Trance - Danny Boyle's latest. Good I think, but so damn confusing in the middle that it's a little hard to know sometimes.
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Apr, '13, 08:09

Joseph27 wrote:Just returned from watching Iron Man 3 in Pacific Place in Jakarta... the fact that I have included it here means I can't be assed starting a new post... seems amazing that we so many effects and so much money spent - I was so totally bored.
Ben Kingsly is a highly and Robert Downy is always fun to watch...

Oh well - at least it was Indonesia and even though I had to buy 11 seats for family and kids and nephews and nieces it still ended up costing me less than a night out in Gold Class in Singapore.
Surely having 11 people there was probably a bigger reason that you didn't enjoy it?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 29th Apr, '13, 10:58

That is definitely a factor :) gold class at Grand Indonesia would possibly have made it a lot better :)

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 7th May, '13, 10:22

Just watched The Croods with the kids, in 3D, was brilliant and very funny :D. Worth it for you boys with young ones!
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"