RAID help

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

RAID help

Post by Sardonicus » 18th Dec, '13, 00:28

My WD 2TB RAID 1 unit is behaving strangely.

The software that monitors it, WD Drive Manager, says the unit is healthy and at 77% full, but the Notification Tray indicator for this service toggles between RAID0 and RAID1 (how it should be configured).

Copying to this drive is taking ages.

Any ideas?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: RAID help

Post by Morrolan » 18th Dec, '13, 09:35

change out one drive, see if that solves the issue. if not, replace the second drive. if that doesn't solve the problem your unit is probably busted or going bust and you should consider getting a new one.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 18th Dec, '13, 13:02

Does the nas have SMART monitoring of the drives ? Run smart.

But don't stop the file copy whatever you do.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 18th Dec, '13, 20:35

Sadly I don't know how to run SMART, but WD have their own SMART-like monitoring, which is what I think the Drive Manager is doing (it shows in the Windows Notification Area). I do notice that it toggles from RAID0 to RAID1, which is troubling.....

Plus the Disk Management utility shows it as healthy. It has 34% free space.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 20th Dec, '13, 08:39

thing is, if it keeps changing settings, you may no longer be able to rely on anything it tells you, including Disk Management reports.

after an incident a few years back with a WD unit which cost me $1,400 to get my data back, i stay away as far as i can from the brand.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 20th Dec, '13, 09:55

I can honestly say I know very very little about computers really, however I do know that the WD Smartware for use with me portable hard drive, was the cause of an overworking CPU. Some checking on the internet showed that I was not the only one, it is now uninstalled and the reason I am looking for alternative means of backup.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous