Quick Reply Poll

Got an idea for the Singaporum ? Anything that annoys you ? Let us know in here.

Quick Reply Box

Poll ended at 22nd Mar, '08, 18:09

Always visible
25%
Visible only after clicking the button
50%
Cheese Toast
25%

Total votes: 16

MM Admin
Site Admin
Mood: God Like

Quick Reply Poll

Post by MM Admin » 2nd Mar, '08, 18:09

As you can see, a Quick Reply feature has been added to the board.

At the moment the QR box is open and ready for typing. The other option is to keep it hidden and click the Quick Reply button wqill open it up. Click the QR button to see how it works.

What would you prefer, the box always shown or the box hidden until you click QR ?

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: Quick Reply Poll

Post by canuck » 2nd Mar, '08, 18:16

um it's not a quick reply if you have to click it, may as well click post reply, no?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Mar, '08, 18:19

DEpends, if you click once and it drops down/opens up, then that would be ok. Having to load a separate page would be a hassle.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 2nd Mar, '08, 18:20

Fat Bob wrote:DEpends, if you click once and it drops down/opens up, then that would be ok. Having to load a separate page would be a hassle.
Yes, that's the feature. One click and it drops it down without loading a page. I see the merits of both. The page looks cleaner without the box but it's an extra click which some might say defeats the purpose of having a QR feature at all.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 2nd Mar, '08, 18:29

i couldn't care less, i just click a reply post to post a reply

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 2nd Mar, '08, 19:28

Only issue I have with quick reply is that every time I open a 'view topic' page there's going to be a bit more 'stuff' downloaded if there's a 'quick reply' area at the bottom of each page. I think the page looks 'cleaner' without the extra bits at the bottom. Loading a page for replying isn't a huge issue to me.

It's great that we can use the control panel to supress the display of avatars and smilies. Here's a challenge: 2 or more sets of user preferences per account: You could use one for home (full glorious display of everything), and another for work or when on a slow or limited connection (lean and clean, supressing all the pretty stuff).

My workplace has a download quota, and if you're out & about and paying for wireless broadband it can become poisonously expensive here in Oz.

If you wanted to get really carried away you could have an alternate display mode that makes the page look like a spreadsheet/database/something work related.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

MM Admin
Site Admin
Mood: God Like

Post by MM Admin » 2nd Mar, '08, 22:54

Due to a bug in IE that moves the focus of the cursor to the QR box, hence dragging you to the bottom of the thread, I've had to change the default for now. If the votes change and I can find a fix, I'll implement it.

Different profiles would be tough bender, as would a style that resembled a spreadsheet.

Bender

Post by Bender » 3rd Mar, '08, 06:05

admin wrote:Different profiles would be tough bender, as would a style that resembled a spreadsheet.
Figured as much for both, and happy with things the way they are.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 3rd Mar, '08, 07:39

don't care either way, as i don't use quick reply...

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 3rd Mar, '08, 11:56

I'm happy with cheese toast as long as I can have Wosr...Wocres....Woresc... Wrocse...Lea and Perrins on it...
Life's too short...