Low carb snacks

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Low carb snacks

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Dec, '08, 22:48

A few years ago I did the Atkins crash diet and lost a load of weight. What helped the cravings for the first couple of weeks were some Atkins low carb bars (ok, not extra low, but low enough) and as I'm planning to do the crash again, I'm loking for them again.

Last time I got them in Tanglin, but last time I was there I couldn't see them. Anyone know of any other places?

Also, aside from the Colbar, I'm looking to get packs of pork scratchings. Anyone know if anywhere sells them?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Re: Low carb snacks

Post by Aliya » 10th Dec, '08, 22:54

Blob there is a great book for $10 from Giant that has recipies for this, shall I get one for you? Something like 1000 low fat low carb receipies.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 10th Dec, '08, 23:04

FB, did your weight yo-yo? If yes, it's not exactly the best thing for your body to do another diet and then gain again. Permanent change of eating habits or exercise regime is the thing to do.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Dec, '08, 23:17

Thanks Aliya, but no thanks, I've got enough cooking skills to make the food good.

Lite-stuff, no, my weight didn't yoyo. I changed my diet and exercise habits, and weight was lost, then my diet and exercise habits changed again (for the worse) and the weight came back on. No suprise really. I want to kick start it again prior to starting some serious exercise. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. Just need to get through the first few weeks and it'll be plain sailing. And not starting until Jan 2nd.... :D

Which is the reason I'm asking now, if I can't find any here I'll ship some in from the States or something.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 11th Dec, '08, 00:29

Chicharron (Pork Skins) are always available at the Filipino shops in Lucky Plaza. Shop around quality varies. You can chat up the Filipina sales girls as you search :D

They can also be ground up to use as filler or breading in place of flour /bread crumbs in tons of recipes

Atkins Bars still exist but probably hard to find in SG. Are all those annoying Herbalife people still in SG? Herbalife has some good low carb 'diet' bars that I used to get there in SG

Another good low carb snack Beef Jerky w/minimal sugar , or Biltong from Swiss Butchery
Any kind of cheese

Best website for low carb is netrition.com
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Dec, '08, 05:01

Are they likely to be in health food stores -there used to be one behind Tanglin Mall - Brown Rice something or other?

Wait for K to get up ;) - she knows the healthy type places.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 11th Dec, '08, 06:24

Knows how to avoid them :D

I don't know about Atkins Bars as I don't believe in Atkins diets but here's what I know about organic/health stores:

I think Bob's already referred to Brown Rice Paradise, used to be on a corner upstairs in Tanglin Mall. Well I need somebody wth uptodate info but just before we left they were buggering about with TM and BRP ended up at the back of the ground floor as you come in from the taxis (known as Level 2?), up a few steps, almost going into Traders Hotel. It was open for a wee while, was a total mess, then I think changed hands and shut "for refurb" - did it ever re-open? There is also the one out the back near, erm, Culina??? Is it called Supernature? Yes it is :)

http://www.supernature.com.sg/index.php

Some of the pharmacies have small health food sections, e.g., NTUC. A pharmacy in Paragon, next to the Marketplace, moved and expanded just before we left - worth a try although the staff are incredibly aggressive and annoying.

There is also Essential Living - I've dealt with them online but it seems they now have an outlet: http://www.essliv.com/

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Dec, '08, 07:50

Ta K, couple of the products at Essential Living are low carb enough, might nip down there and try them out to see if they do the job. Less carbs than the Atkins bars!

As for a belief in the Atkins diet: the big issue is whether you can keep to it and whether your tolerances are effected by it. There was some research published in the New England Journal of Medicine which showed a low carb, calorie uncontrolled diet was much more effective than calorie-controlled low fat or mediteranian style diets. The research was taken over a 2-year period.

Of course, the aim is to get the balance right in you diet, but so many people haven't. My plan is to use the Atkins induction to sort out my bad habits.

Poppy Appeal

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 11th Dec, '08, 08:04

celery and peanut butter :)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Dec, '08, 08:06

Oh I do believe in low (or good) carb, just not no carb. :)

edit: There I was the other day, in the coffee shop, reading a new Low GL Diet Book I picked up in the UK to get inspiration for dinner, and I realised how silly I must look sitting there with my soy latte and mango & coconut toast. :D

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 11th Dec, '08, 08:44

Bottom line is that low carb diets simply provide the body with much less usable energy. It is essentially a low calorie diet.

The main carbs to avoid are starches and sugars. They aren't part of our natural diet (at least in large quantity) and our bodies aren't very good at dealing with thm.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 11th Dec, '08, 09:19

I don't exercise much anymore(bad bad bad), and this is the biggest issue regarding my heath, followed closely by not eating routinely enough veg and fruit. so I'm no skinny minny!!
That said, despite the above with not actually doing a heck of a lot, my weight stays fairly steady. I basically concluded a long time ago that eating big bowls of pasta, and rice, were a big no no. I don't actually like rice that much, and realised the pasta just left me bloated big time. It's when I let Pizza become my main diet that it all goes pear shaped. At the same time, eating large amounts of the wrong fats leave me feeling realll crap as well, so it's about picking the right ones not increasing them...

I do buy into the low carb thing, but not the no carb thing - because their are grains and fibres that I find pretty important to my well being (ie comfort if you get my drift) and I just can't cope without sandwiches for lunch.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 11th Dec, '08, 10:03

The Old Brown Shoe sells pork scratchings.

And while you're waiting, you could have a couple of low carb Ruddles Counties...

2 weeks worth of wake-ups to go - I can hardly wait!!!!

[4980.gif]
Life's too short...

Addadude
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Totally underwhelmed

Post by Addadude » 11th Dec, '08, 12:30

If you've got a sweet tooth I can recommend VPX's ZERO Impact Meal Replacement Bars from a local online sports nutrition store, Nutri-Forefront.

http://www.nutri-forefront.com/index.ph ... t&Itemid=2
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Dec, '08, 17:40

Hardly low carb, addadude, 40g of carbs per bar!

Err....since when has Atkins been no carb? You start off with a 2-week low low carb (max 20g a day), and then increase carbs until you maintain rather than lose weight.

Or did you just read the newspapers to get your info about Atkins?

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Dec, '08, 18:16

No, I've got the book :P

(I didn't buy it.)

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 11th Dec, '08, 18:51

Low carb doesn't mean no carb...

Or was that crime...?
Last edited by Burbage on 11th Dec, '08, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 11th Dec, '08, 18:53

You'll have Addadude onto you.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 12th Dec, '08, 08:33

have the book, read the book, gone through the whole recipes and food plan, tried the food types for a bit....but hey, what would I know. (I've also read up on the Zone and the CSIRO diet.)

it's bugger all to the point where you've eliminated a stack of fruit and veg. and anything that makes you have to go out and eat a heap of husks to get fibre into your diet makes me think something aint quite right.

but hey what works for you works for you, but don't tell us we're all ignorant just because it's something you like for you.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Dec, '08, 09:31

K: I've got a bible, doesn't mean I've read it.

Tas: are you sure you've read it? Fruits and veg are allowed after the intial stages, and by that time you're off the fibre suppliments. And hey, going from what you said earlier, sounds like you're diet is already similar to the final phase of atkins (no rice, pasta, pizza). Unless you just eat spuds like an Irishman.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 12th Dec, '08, 10:42

don't mind me, I've had a headache all week, and worked from home yesterday on account, and the colour of the forum I think had just stimulated an additional overload when I read that. But yeah I have read it, and know there's a phase thing. I guess I'm an old fashioned move more than you eat person, and feel more comfortable with balances of food groups (including fats) and not denying the body things because I think it leads to cravings and yoyoing. That includes shocks to the body, either by overloading sugar (big bowls pasta or a block of chocolate), or proteins (all proteins and nothing else). But all fine what works for everyone.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Dec, '08, 15:24

Must say, I can think of some much more nicer shocks to the body..... ;)

The colour of this place is bloody awful isn't it?

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 12th Dec, '08, 15:31

There is an option to allow registered users to choose the forum theme they want but it's been deactivated [xmas-nana]
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 12th Dec, '08, 15:36

baloo wrote:There is an option to allow registered users to choose the forum theme they want but it's been deactivated [xmas-nana]
[4600.gif]

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 12th Dec, '08, 17:52

I like it just the way it is.....so :P and [smilie=cul.gif]

Oh. And [4980.gif]

'cause there're only 13 days to go!!!
Life's too short...