Lawyer fees

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

furple
Lurker
Mood: confuse

Lawyer fees

Post by furple » 7th Dec, '11, 23:18

Recently i have just got a letter from my lawyer demanding me to pay their outstanding amount which was almost 4 years ago. True, I did not pay him the balance as he has lost my case in court. I have been heavily fine & in debts. I just dont know if he has the right to demand their fee after so many years of neither sending me reminder and charging me more than the agreed amount?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Lawyer fees

Post by baloo » 8th Dec, '11, 00:12

I have no idea but a lawyer is the last person I'd want to take to court.

If its less than $5k can you get CASE involved ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 8th Dec, '11, 04:49

Is losing the case a reason not to pay your lawyer?
We are the TPF

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 8th Dec, '11, 04:59

BoD wrote:Is losing the case a reason not to pay your lawyer?
That's what I was wondering.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Dec, '11, 06:41

That would have to be agreed up front (no win no fee arrangement) if not agreed up front and in writing then pretty sure then you don't have a reason not to pay your lawyer irrespective of case out come, it's a service like any other.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

furple
Lurker

Post by furple » 8th Dec, '11, 07:27

Well, losing the case without dedication & effort shown by the lawyer was the reason why i refuse to pay him but will they bring me to small claim or sub court over this amount?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Dec, '11, 07:45

Hmmmm...tough one. If you think they didn't do a good job, who did you complain to? Is their a Law Society in Singapore which oversees lawyers? Did you contact another lawyer to look through your case?

If there is no feedback from you to your lawyer on how bad a job you think he did, then how is the lawyer to know why you haven't paid his fees?

If the amount the lawyer charged you originally was more than what was agreed up front, do you have correspondence showing this? Is their a written contract between you and the lawyer stipulating how much work he should do and how much he was to charge you? If he's not done the work, or if he's overcharged you, then you are probably within your rights to withhold some of the monies demanded, but again, you have to document this.

If the lawyer has no idea of why you are not paying him, and neither party has contacted the other during this time, then of course the lawyer has the right to ask for the money they think are owed to them. 4 years is a long time, and you have to ask why he's not followed up previously, but still, I'm not sure if there is a time when he no longer can ask.

I recommend:

1: Look through the initial agreement between you and your lawyer.
2: Confirm the costs that you think are reasonable and in line with the agreement.
3: If you have an issue with how your lawyer represented you, find out who (if anyone) governs the working practice of the lawyer and seek redress, possibly with an appeal to your case.
4: Have correspondence with the lawyer, pointing out your reasons for paying a reduced sum/not paying, but make sure you have a leg to stand upon.
5: Once all that is finished, confirm what the lawyer is willing to accept. You may get a reduction, you may get nothing taken off.
6: If you can not pay it all in one go, work out a payment plan and stick to it.

If you keep on ignoring it then they may still come after you and you may end up in court, who may force you to pay.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 8th Dec, '11, 09:13

Gosh Blob have you ever considered being a lawyer? Very lawyerish advice :)
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 8th Dec, '11, 10:53

Back up for when he hangs up his lab coat.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 8th Dec, '11, 11:00

Or maybe he's had dealings with lots of lawyers, defending the paternity suits........

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Dec, '11, 13:19

Had to deal with Aliya for 2 years over my will....that's enough!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

furple
Lurker

Post by furple » 8th Dec, '11, 20:30

Thanks bob for your valuable reply. Well simply said, my lawyer had high confidence in winning my case. He promised to negotiate with the relevant parties & urged me to sign the engagement agreement. Things are always kind of like I have to keep reminding him on every single issue that we have discussed about which he will do at the very last moment. No ample time for correspondent to reply back and they are frustrated by the last minute questions that have to be replied. I had countless adjournment due to his negligence. I am just not sure if he can claim me under small claim coz from what I understand, lawyers could not make a claim there in singapore. Then where will he proceed his claim to? Can a debt be claimed after such a long period of time. These are the uncertainties that I'm facing. I am heavily in debt due to losing the case

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Dec, '11, 23:48

I think you are mixing up two different points.

If he represented you (no matter how incompetently), then you owe him his fees.

If he represented you incompetently, then seek redress via the proper channels. Seeking that redress may allow you not to pay the fees, and you may even be able to have a look at the case again.

Best of luck!

Poppy Appeal

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 9th Dec, '11, 07:30

Yes but in the end you did get it lol
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

sluggo

Post by sluggo » 9th Dec, '11, 07:44

There actually was a will produced? :?:

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 12th Dec, '11, 09:00

Well he told me I'd have to cook him a steak and give him a ....if I didn't so I gave him the Will lol :D No idea if he has even signed it!

sluggo

Post by sluggo » 13th Dec, '11, 05:06

Good call on your part Aliya