iPod Touch

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

iPod Touch

Post by slinky » 18th Feb, '08, 10:29

I have the old iPod mini and it's only got 6gb storage and the damn thing loses battery power sooooo fast these days :roll: They've come out with a 32gb iPod touch - anyone have a touch? Is it worth buying one?

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: iPod Touch

Post by canuck » 18th Feb, '08, 10:39

people who buy iPod's are a bit touched I think ;) no, all I hear is about how ipods end up crashing and burning, freezing, batteries dying, and deleting all your music willy nilly

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 18th Feb, '08, 10:46

Well, except for the battery issue, I've not had any of the other stuff happen so far. Trying to remember how long I've had mine now - definitely more than 2 years - probably more like 3. (Can't recall but when I got it, it was hot out, so that must mean July-ish, right? :lol: )

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 18th Feb, '08, 10:57

slinks: :D must have been,, but I know what you mean, I have a HP stick one bought for £79, now they go for about £12 or US$15. But have had it for years and years and will probably never buy a new one as it plays mp3s, uses 1 AAA battery and I really only use it when I travel, so if I lose it it is no big deal.

I guess if it is something you use a lot it is probably worth getting something more swish. I think in some ways I am an old fogey ;)

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 18th Feb, '08, 11:33

i don't see the point of an iPod touch as i like plenty of storage space, plus the price difference with the iPod classic is preposterous. had my iPod 40 gig for about 4 years now. no problems at all nor with Fyn's 30gig iPod photo.

regretfully i recently forgot it on the plane and despite flying Business Class, no one ever found it... :roll:

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 18th Feb, '08, 13:11

So, M, you think just a regular classic iPod with plenty of storage space is the right way to go then? Guess I was kind of thinking that on some level.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 18th Feb, '08, 13:23

I have the 80gb ipod video (the model just before the current 'classic' series). Very happy with it.

The touch might be good for the wi-fi/internet capability (if that's a desirable thing), but the downside to me would be the cost vs capacity as compared to the classic.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 18th Feb, '08, 13:31

Oooh, right, I forgot part of the touch deal is that you can get on the internet with it via wi-fi. Hmmm, now maybe I'm thinking I should get the touch.....at least when Mr. S is on the 'crack'berry while we're out somewhere, I'd have something to do also :lol:

My MiL generally buys very nice birthday gifts and since I have a rather, ahem, big one coming up next month, Mr. S was thinking of telling her I'd like the iPod touch. Definitely not something I'd be likely to buy for myself.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 18th Feb, '08, 13:56

So Slinky you are turning 30? :P
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

sluggo

Post by sluggo » 18th Feb, '08, 14:00

Seems to me the problem with ipod products is that there is a very limited number of charges (approx. 400) to the battery life. If you leave is plugged in all the time you will run down your battery life. The only way to get the battery replaced is sending it to Apple and the batteries are expensive.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 18th Feb, '08, 14:48

sluggo wrote:Seems to me the problem with ipod products is that there is a very limited number of charges (approx. 400) to the battery life. If you leave is plugged in all the time you will run down your battery life. The only way to get the battery replaced is sending it to Apple and the batteries are expensive.
nope, sorry. battery charged a gazillion times with my now lost iPod and no problems at all. i even had it in my car connected to the car stereo with constant charging. the battery problem was solved years ago before the introduction of what is now the iPod Classic

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 18th Feb, '08, 15:02

but M, you don't have it, someone else does, if I lost my player, I would get it back :D

sluggo

Post by sluggo » 18th Feb, '08, 15:25

nope, sorry. battery charged a gazillion times with my now lost iPod and no problems at all. i even had it in my car connected to the car stereo with constant charging. the battery problem was solved years ago before the introduction of what is now the iPod Classic
M is that also true of the Nano because I have already had one go kaput after only two years. Always had it connected, and I've been told that by other geeks.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 18th Feb, '08, 15:50

sluggo wrote:
M is that also true of the Nano because I have already had one go kaput after only two years. Always had it connected, and I've been told that by other geeks.
don't know, mate. we only have classics and a Shuffle. they're doing fine, although the Shuffle is only slightly more than one year old.... i could imagine that the Nano with a smaller battery may have other issues, but like i said, we have not had any issues at all.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 18th Feb, '08, 15:50

canuck wrote:but M, you don't have it, someone else does, if I lost my player, I would get it back :D
:cry:

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 18th Feb, '08, 15:56

don't cry :( I didn't mean to make you cry, but see if you were an old fogey like me no one would steal your old crystal radio :lol: you still had all the music yeah?

I left mine at a hotel and they found it, sorry :mrgreen:

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 18th Feb, '08, 16:47

canuck wrote:I left mine at a hotel and they found it, sorry :mrgreen:
oh, i have no doubt someone found my iPod too... :evil:

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 18th Feb, '08, 16:59

sluggo wrote:So Slinky you are turning 30? :P
So, does the sticking out tongue smiley mean you wouldn't believe it if I said yes? :lol:

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 19th Feb, '08, 08:07

I have about 14GB music tops. That equates to over 3500 songs and 10 days of music, about half of it ripped at 192kbs for improved quality when played through speakers. I question the need for a 80GB iPod unless you are going to put TV shows and movies and the like on it. In which case, wouldn't the increased screen size of the iPod touch be preferable? And at 32GB, not too bad!

If I was buying now I'd go for the iPod Touch. Saw one a few weeks back, very good indeed. Not sure I'd go for an iPhone, but hey!

If you can't get Wifi, can you link up your phone to your iPod Touch?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

musxzart
Aged Member
Mood: tired

Post by musxzart » 19th Feb, '08, 14:38

i tested it. quite cool. you can actually install applications to the ipod touch i think... but for 32gb, still not enough i think. bigger is always better. :mrgreen:
The beginning of death is the end of suffering.

sluggo

Post by sluggo » 19th Feb, '08, 15:03

slinky wrote:
sluggo wrote:So Slinky you are turning 30? :P
So, does the sticking out tongue smiley mean you wouldn't believe it if I said yes? :lol:
Oh heavens no, I would believe it. I didn't realize that it was sticking out its tongue I thought it was smiling with no teeth. [smilie=wink.gif]