iPad Mini

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: iPad Mini

Post by Kooky » 13th Nov, '12, 06:04

iPad Minis come in a range of prices depending on how much you need in the way of guts. If it's just for sofa surfing, not for storing large amounts of data, why not go for one at the cheaper end? And maybe without 3G - Neo didn't bother with that this time as he uses home wireless, office wireless, or phone hotspot.

(Did I get this right, Tas - I know you got "educated" at the weekend :) )

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 13th Nov, '12, 06:27

If it's just couch surfing then there is no point paying a premium for an iDevice that has a crippled browser. Much better Android based tablets out there with browsers that can visit all sites.

But if you have an iEcosystem at home and you want your apps and downloaded content on your miniPad, then pay the premium.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 13th Nov, '12, 06:46

Are Android based tablets any cheaper, baloo? I know when I looked at top of the range Samsung Ultrabooks they were comparable with Macs. (I ended up with 5 series, or whatever it is, bit cheaper.)

TBH I'm quite taken with this size of tablet. I can see it being a good travelling option for me - replacing both netbook and kindle. Can't justify it at the moment but will see how the market develops.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 13th Nov, '12, 06:55

Samsung are comparable with Apple devices in price but that's a Samsung thing, not an Android thing.

But Android devices are made by many manufacturers both name brands and Chinese no-name brands.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 13th Nov, '12, 07:03

Cool. We need to compile a database :)

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 13th Nov, '12, 08:47

Kooky wrote:
TBH I'm quite taken with this size of tablet. I can see it being a good travelling option for me - replacing both netbook and kindle. Can't justify it at the moment but will see how the market develops.
You know, after I asked the question of 'why'? I'm now kind of thinking it might be a better size for carrying around in my bag :oops: However, I still have yet to see one in person - everyone is 'out of stocks oreddi.' But, like K, I can't justify it right now either - what would I do with my regular iPad? :lol:

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 13th Nov, '12, 08:49

Yep, that's the education I recall. I was quite taken with the mini, first apple device have liked feel, look of and usability.

Will be looking properly in New Year. Will prioritise a laptop for home first - portability less of issue, but I don't want a desk top. So guts, big screen, connections,friendly qwerty board will be priority. Then a complementary hand device - so as I use windows and office software that will likely dictate choice.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 13th Nov, '12, 09:18

baloo wrote:If it's just couch surfing then there is no point paying a premium for an iDevice that has a crippled browser. Much better Android based tablets out there with browsers that can visit all sites.

But if you have an iEcosystem at home and you want your apps and downloaded content on your miniPad, then pay the premium.
So few sites seem to use Flash anymore, so the 'crippled browser' is even less of an issue than it ever was (and it really wasn't much of a problem in the first place)
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 13th Nov, '12, 09:58

BoD wrote:
baloo wrote:If it's just couch surfing then there is no point paying a premium for an iDevice that has a crippled browser. Much better Android based tablets out there with browsers that can visit all sites.

So few sites seem to use Flash anymore, so the 'crippled browser' is even less of an issue than it ever was (and it really wasn't much of a problem in the first place)
Really? I must be surfing the wrong sites then.

The fact is you get a much better browsing experience with an android or even windows based tablet. The safari based browsers on iOS are not very good. And apple, in its wisdom, refuse to let other browser makers to implement their own browser. Chrome for iOS is actually just a thin skin on top of safari.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 13th Nov, '12, 10:14

Yes you must be..

Whether the browser is good or bad isn't really the issue. Given that so many people use iOS devices you'd have to be a seriously short-sighted web designer to create a site that did not work on iOS Safari
We are the TPF

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 13th Nov, '12, 10:43

What's wrong with the browser then? For my couch surfing/forum posting/evening skype calls, I'm using iPod Touch. I think it's neat... except when I fall asleep and drop it :( So what's with the iPad Mini.... is that somewhere between the Pod and the Pad?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 13th Nov, '12, 10:46

BoD wrote:Yes you must be..

Whether the browser is good or bad isn't really the issue. Given that so many people use iOS devices you'd have to be a seriously short-sighted web designer to create a site that did not work on iOS Safari
If we're discussing a device for predominantly web browsing from a couch I reckon the quality of the browser is paramount to the discussion.

To dismiss the issue would be admitting that your so i'd up that reality doesn't matter anymore.

But as isaid, if someone is immersed in an iEcosystem already then get the mini. If they haven't yet succumbed to peel pressure then there are of cheaper and better alternatives. (He says as he types this on an iPad and creates web sites designed to handle iOS devices)

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 13th Nov, '12, 10:47

Dinosaur wrote:What's wrong with the browser then? For my couch surfing/forum posting/evening skype calls, I'm using iPod Touch. I think it's neat... except when I fall asleep and drop it :( So what's with the iPad Mini.... is that somewhere between the Pod and the Pad?
If you're happy with it, great. Stay on apple devices and you'll be forever happy.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 13th Nov, '12, 10:51

All that said of course, I don't own an iPad and am unlikely to get an iPhone5

(Typed on a borrowed iPad)
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 13th Nov, '12, 10:56

Just to give people an indication of what prices you can buy android tablets for, here's a link that lists quite a few Chinese cheapies.

http://list.qoo10.sg/s/ANDROID-TABLET?k ... to_change=

Nearly throw away prices when you think about how much a night out on the town costs in singapore.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Nov, '12, 11:46

Nexus 7 is SGD399

Big question is whether you want/need mobile data or whether you can stick to wifi only. If you're only using it at home, 3G not needed. If you're only occasionally using it on move, then you can use your mobile device to generate a wifi network. Otherwise, buy something with 3G, of which the Nexus 7 doesn't have.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 13th Nov, '12, 11:57

Fat Bob wrote:Nexus 7 is SGD399

Big question is whether you want/need mobile data or whether you can stick to wifi only. If you're only using it at home, 3G not needed. If you're only occasionally using it on move, then you can use your mobile device to generate a wifi network. Otherwise, buy something with 3G, of which the Nexus 7 doesn't have.
Didn't I read somewhere that the new version of the Nexus 7 has 3G.
We are the TPF

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 13th Nov, '12, 12:06

We are the TPF

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 13th Nov, '12, 15:01

The cheapest ipad mini is 349 EUR here, a Nexus 7 goes for 220 EUR so there is a big price difference. Not interested in 3G (I got educated on the way to Sim Lim :D ) and although I do have an iMac and a company iPhone (however both don't know each other) I'm quite happy to go the Android way. Is there a place where you can actually try the Kindles?