PC Farts

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

PC Farts

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 09:41

When I use Zune or Windows Media Player to play music I get a sudden farting noise from the speakers every few seconds, which makes it impossible to listen to music. If I watch a music video on Youtube the noise doesn't happen, so there's nothing wrong with my speakers or sound card. Any ideas?
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: PC Farts

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '12, 09:53

Try this. Beano
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 10:00

baloo wrote:Try this. Beano
I was hoping for a more technical response Mr.IT expert [pullinghair.gif]
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 20th Nov, '12, 10:43

I'm sure there is something wrong with your speakers and/or soundcard, it's just that you're not triggering it from youtube (different players, different encoding etc.)

To eliminate speakers properly, try with headphones plugged in to audio-out on your soundcard.
To eliminate soundcard, go to Control Panel, Sound, Manage Audio Devices. Double-click on your default Playback device. Go to advanced tab. What sample rate do you have selected? Press the test button. Does it play normally, or do you hear the noise you described? You can also try experimenting with the System Effects (or disabling them) to see if they're the problem.

Report back after you've tried the above.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 10:56

Jedi wrote:I'm sure there is something wrong with your speakers and/or soundcard, it's just that you're not triggering it from youtube (different players, different encoding etc.)

To eliminate speakers properly, try with headphones plugged in to audio-out on your soundcard.
To eliminate soundcard, go to Control Panel, Sound, Manage Audio Devices. Double-click on your default Playback device. Go to advanced tab. What sample rate do you have selected? Press the test button. Does it play normally, or do you hear the noise you described? You can also try experimenting with the System Effects (or disabling them) to see if they're the problem.

Thanks Jedi. I had a suggestion from someone to download something called Classic Media Player, which is very basic but comes with a host of codecs. When I use that the problem is very much reduced, unless I have Zune or Windows Media Player open at the same time, in which case the problem resumes in full force. I'll try your suggestions.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Nov, '12, 11:42

VLC Media Player is another option, but there again, you already have 2-3 media players so can be a pain with so many.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 16:00

Here's the weird thing. The noise doesn't happen when I use basic freeware players like Classic Media Player or VLC. It only happens with iTunes, Zune or Windows Media Player, which is severely annoying.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 16:43

Jedi wrote:I'm sure there is something wrong with your speakers and/or soundcard, it's just that you're not triggering it from youtube (different players, different encoding etc.)

Tried everything by changing all the settings one by one and as you suggested and my PC is still farting every 50-60 seconds, except when using the Freeware players. [smilie=23_3.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '12, 16:47

Install Linux

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Nov, '12, 16:55

Can you uninstall Windows Media Player and Zune, or update them to the latest versions?

Are the drivers on your card up to date?

Not sure of anything else. I can see why it would be annoying though.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '12, 16:58

It sounds like it could be codec related. The freebies are probably using one set of codecs, the other stuff the built in codecs. It's all I can think of that would cause the same file to suffer from flatulence depending on what's playing it.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 17:40

Fat Bob wrote:Can you uninstall Windows Media Player and Zune, or update them to the latest versions?

Are the drivers on your card up to date?

Not sure of anything else. I can see why it would be annoying though.
All drivers up to date, Zune is latest version and with Windows Media I can't see a menu option to check the version. I've seen other users with the same problem on help forums but there doesn't seem to be an answer. Perhaps this is the ultimate PC problem that no-one can solve and it's driving me [smilie=tease.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '12, 18:39

Oh, you haven't installed Windows 8 by any chance have you ?

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 19:50

baloo wrote:Oh, you haven't installed Windows 8 by any chance have you ?
Umm....yes :oops:

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '12, 20:21

Did this start to happen after the upgrade ?

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '12, 21:48

baloo wrote:Did this start to happen after the upgrade ?
Yes

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '12, 22:24

Dunno. I have a windows 8 pc here and I'll have a play tomorrow. Any particular piece of media that causes the issue that I can try ?

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 21st Nov, '12, 04:56

Did you upgrade or clean install windows 8?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 21st Nov, '12, 08:13

Driver compatibility issue. I'm guessing that the respective companies have not yet optimised their drivers for W8.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 22nd Nov, '12, 09:31

Jedi wrote:Did you upgrade or clean install windows 8?
Upgrade

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 22nd Nov, '12, 09:42

Problem solved. Now install it properly with a clean install. Upgrade = recipe for disaster.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 22nd Nov, '12, 18:49

I get sounds that are like a low rumble. I haven't figured out the when or why, just checked a few songs in iTunes and didn't hear it, but I've heard it a lot and though it was something to do with ripping with iTunes.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 22nd Nov, '12, 21:24

baloo wrote:Dunno. I have a windows 8 pc here and I'll have a play tomorrow. Any particular piece of media that causes the issue that I can try ?
Happens with all media formats, MP3, MPeg4, ACC and everything else.