Dropbox v Lockbox

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Dropbox v Lockbox

Post by Kooky » 21st Nov, '12, 13:35

Hello again, would any bored geeks like to summarise for me the main differences between Dropbox and Lockbox? Pros and cons of one over the other for a small organisation (maybe 6-8 people in the near future) storing and sharing files. Happy to pay for the best solution.

We have been advised Lockbox is better from a security perspective but one person using it says Dropbox is easier. I haven't had a look at it yet so not sure if that's true or not.

Any other suggestions very gratefully accepted.

Thanks. [smilie=kiss.gif] Send invoice to kooky@mydeskinthecorner.org.au

PS: I have chocolated with limited success.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Dropbox v Lockbox

Post by baloo » 21st Nov, '12, 13:51

Dropbox is the easiest solution I have come across. It just works no matter what platform you are on.

What are the security issues ? Are your documents highly confidential and of importance that a competitor or government department would pay to have people break into your specific account for te information there ?

If not then I would think DB's security is good enough. My startup uses it for our file storage.

Never heard of or tried lockbox.

Google drive is another alternative if you are thinking of using google apps and other google cloud stuff like email.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Nov, '12, 14:38

Cheers baloo. Yes security is a concern, especially going forward. (This time last year I was on a project upgrading an established org's databases because of strict non-profit industry requirements so I already know a little bit about that, although at present we have simpler needs.)

We're currently sharing some basic info in Google because we're using it for mail, etc. (And I'm currently using my own laptop so sticking everything else in Dropbox. If I had time to go buy a laptop and stop carting this one around on the bus I'd be very happy [smilie=rotflmao.gif] )

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 21st Nov, '12, 15:17

If security is that much of a concern then I'd seriously consider investing in a local NAS with offsite encrypted backups. Many SOHO NAS boxes these days allow VPN access if that's needed.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Nov, '12, 15:27

Thanks again, I will be filing that info for a future recommendation. All going well :)

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Nov, '12, 15:30

Currently finding my way around "Asana". Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Nov, '12, 18:37

Not sure if you could encrypt all documents on Dropbox/Google Drive/Skydrive with another software....but in my view, if you need security there are better ways than using current cloud-based solutions.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 22nd Nov, '12, 03:52

Yeah...I'm in my first week and currently overwhelmed by what's to do, have some more urgent priorities to attend to right now so just taking advantage of you all as I know there is a ton of knowledge in our community, and I'm sort of thinking out loud too.

It's in my nature to think forward, try to future-proof us, but in the short-term the cloud is the easiest option if what we go with is adequate.

If I fail on the immediate priorities it may become a moot point anyway :lol:

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 22nd Nov, '12, 09:40

Mr. S uses something called Spider Oak - he says it is more secure than Dropbox. (No idea, myself :D)

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 22nd Nov, '12, 12:13

Hey Kooks,

Two more suggestions for secure file sharing:

http://www.safeboxapp.com/welcome.html

Integrates with dropbox. Uses ope-source encryption and preserves the dropbox file system and version control

and

https://www.box.com/

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 22nd Nov, '12, 21:29

I've been using Dropbox for some years and find it easy to use and reliable. If you go to the Dropbox web site there is a complete description of how the security works. It seems quite impressive and difficult to crack unless a hacking expert really, really desperately wants to download photos of your Auntie Flo on the beach at Yarmouth.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 23rd Nov, '12, 00:41

For me, the issue with dropbox has never been their security system but, rather, trust. They have been caught violating their own privacy policy multiple times. Furthermore, their privacy policy currently sucks: they reserve the right to share your data with unspecified third parties, presumably in the name of providing "services". That may be fine for photo-sharing but, for storing client data, it's a big concern. That's why I like safe box; however, one issue with safebox is that all parties sharing a file must use safebox.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 23rd Nov, '12, 05:06

Making notes, folks - thanks so much.

I am using Dropbox for all my own stuff already but TBH Neo set it up and to me it just looks like another folder in my structure. It's been a hell of a first week here :o but I'm hoping to have time to learn more about them all (AND finalise my shortlist for a laptop too!) very soon.

Naive of me, I am sure. Ah well, I was bored at home :lol:

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 23rd Nov, '12, 10:36

Spike wrote:I've been using Dropbox for some years and find it easy to use and reliable. If you go to the Dropbox web site there is a complete description of how the security works. It seems quite impressive and difficult to crack unless a hacking expert really, really desperately wants to download photos of your Auntie Flo on the beach at Yarmouth.
And it's one of the few things that still works for you after installing windows 8 :D

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 23rd Nov, '12, 16:40

Kooky wrote:Currently finding my way around "Asana". Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Trello is pretty cool as well.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 24th Nov, '12, 08:04

I'll work with Asana a while and see what I think. Boss has already started with a few things but thankfully not the precious sort and is open to suggestions. Looks like we might double the staff by the end of Jan (to the grand sum of 4!) so I would like to have a few things settled by then. Email management systems, website management systems, CRM...gosh so much to do and learn, hope I'm up to the job! (At least the accounts are done externally.)

Bossman asked me yesterday about my findings re. Lockbox and I told him none of my professional geek friends had heard of it. :lol:

Re. Windows 8 - hmmm, Dell seems to be pushing that. I'm still resisting.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 24th Nov, '12, 13:07

expat yorkshire wrote:
Spike wrote:I've been using Dropbox for some years and find it easy to use and reliable. If you go to the Dropbox web site there is a complete description of how the security works. It seems quite impressive and difficult to crack unless a hacking expert really, really desperately wants to download photos of your Auntie Flo on the beach at Yarmouth.
And it's one of the few things that still works for you after installing windows 8 :D
Bitch [smilie=cul.gif]
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

psumita
Lurker
Mood: Happy

Post by psumita » 2nd Jan, '13, 13:26

Dropbox is just awesome....never heard about lockbox though..

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Jan, '13, 13:59

Thanks for adding so much value to the conversation.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Jan, '13, 14:05

Pot, kettle, kooky.....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Jan, '13, 14:18

It's my thread - naff off :p

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Jan, '13, 14:25

Fat Bob wrote:Pot, kettle, kooky.....

Poppy Appeal