Any ideas why some email not appearing?

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Any ideas why some email not appearing?

Post by Kooky » 21st Jan, '13, 08:27

Hello, yes I know I take advantage of you, but I really am grateful for the help you give me and my little charity.

We've just realised we're not receiving emails from a certain organisation - all addresses at our place not receiving from any address at theirs.

They're not going into our spam folders. We're using Google Apps for our email (they are not), and we're now wondering if there are any other emails we are not receiving.

I've googled but still not clear where I should be looking into this (in gmail, speak with our host, etc.) or even what I should be looking for :( IT Support at another org in this building don't seem to know either.

All help gladly paid for in beer next time I'm in your neighbourhood.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Any ideas why some email not appearing?

Post by baloo » 21st Jan, '13, 08:56

Is there a chance that you guys are using the same webhost ?

Also, check with your webhost and make sure they have done what they need to do at their DNS to set the mail exchange (MX) for your domain as external.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Jan, '13, 09:03

Thanks baloo, they are a .gov.au so I doubt they are using the piddly stuff we're using.

I've just had Bossman assign me Admin access so I can have a good look around Google, then the next port of call is the host. Problem here is it's the partially-sighted leading the blind; I wasn't here on Day One and Bossman can't quite remember how he did what.

We'll get there :) (although currently two steps forward, one step back...)

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 21st Jan, '13, 09:14

For Google Apps to work you need to make the changes in the DNS so that the mails are redirected to google. It will look something like this:

Code: Select all

1	ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
5	ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
5	ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
10	ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
10	ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
But if you're getting some email then it's not your DNS settings. Can you ask someone at the government body to try and ping your MX ?

ping mail.yourdomainname.com should do the trick.

There is no site wide black or white list within Google apps so it's not that.

I would first hit up your webhost and ask them to help. They'd be hosting your DNS entries and could probably run a trace. Asking Google for help is futile unless you have the paid for Google Apps
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Jan, '13, 09:46

Cheers B, yes I've just been reading up on MX and had reached the same conclusion - contact the host!

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Jan, '13, 16:12

It would appear our MX Records all had the same priority and that is wrong. Hopefully fixed, will have to check back in about 4 hours. Thanks again, baloo.

It's been a great day. Apart from sacking our third-party Accountants (and now having to find another one), I've done nothing I set out to do.