W7 Versions

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

W7 Versions

Post by Sardonicus » 31st Jan, '13, 11:55

For those who use it, which version of the many do you use, and why?

I need to do an emergency upgrade on Mrs. S's PC and am considering which to use.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Re: W7 Versions

Post by Jedi » 31st Jan, '13, 12:42

What others use isn't going to help you much. Better off looking at the feature comparison and deciding what features you actually need.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ts/compare

In other words, if you don't need XP Mode (Oracle VBox is better anyway), you have your own backup software and don't need microsoft's and you have no need to switch the OS language, then Home Premium should be fine. :)

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 31st Jan, '13, 12:52

Thanks Jedi. I was specifically wondering if the Encrypting File System (EFS) feature in starting at the Professional level was worth it just for that.

Well, that, and Remote Desktop / Remote Desktop Host feature, which if she or I could RDP into her PC from abroad might be handy. I don't know the difference between these two, have not researched this yet.

Neither of these two features are available in Home Premium. Otherwise Home Premium looks good.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 31st Jan, '13, 12:58

Can't comment on the EFS as i've never used it. Personally i wouldn't even consider using it given the potential headaches. Also if you need to encrypt files there's zillions of other options out there.

As for RDP, also there's other options, but if you think you may use it then go for professional. Note that you'll need to do quite a bit of technical setup to get it to work, DDNS to handle your IP address changes, port forwarding to forward the RDP port and open ports on your firewall. I use it for my main home PC and it does work well.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 31st Jan, '13, 13:21

Thanks Jedi, will consider the RDP option.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 31st Jan, '13, 17:51

I use Team Viewer for Remote Desktop, which is free for home use with only one or two annoying pop-ups (and not ad pop-ups, just reminders not to use it for work).

The current view on many tech sites is to upgrade to Win8 if you are doing any re-install of your pc.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal