Comm Games preparation

From basketball to xtreme, this is the place for sports watching and viewing!

Moderator: Fat Bob

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Comm Games preparation

Post by Tas » 21st Sep, '10, 13:05

Whilst occasionally wish had the body and discipline to be a professional athlete, today I'm glad I don't. Wouldn't want to be any of the Commonwealth Games teams under pressure to go to Delhi. Think this'll be one where most of the mums' and dads' choose to stay home.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Re: Comm Games preparation

Post by daffodil » 21st Sep, '10, 21:40

It doesn't sound good, saw on the news that some teams are preparing to pull out too
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Sep, '10, 21:52

Saw that a bridge had collapsed between a car park and a stadium. The security situation looks poor, and team officials from England, Scotland, New Zealand and Canada have complained about the state of disrepair and cleanliness of the accommodation.

Sounds like thee preparation is just behind the London 2012 timelines.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 22nd Sep, '10, 03:37

From the BBC.... [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Speaking at a news conference in Delhi, Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of the Delhi organising committee, said the authorities understood the concerns shown by some member countries and the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).

But he suggested that the complaints could be due to "cultural differences".

Everyone has different standards about cleanliness. The Westerners have different standards, we have different standards," he said.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 22nd Sep, '10, 05:22

Oh no :( They've got to go ahead - the Oz athletes are already on TV in trailers saying how they're going to kick the Poms arses.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 22nd Sep, '10, 07:27

I suspect everyone arses will be having problems going by the classic cultural difference in hygiene comment. (That guy shouldn't ever put himself in a marketing situation!)

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 22nd Sep, '10, 08:19

Apparently the monsoon has gone on for 2 months longer than usual so that has hindered the works. However, having said that we all know what toilets are like in India!! But to be honest there are major differences in Asian and the Western world toilets even when they are new. Either way, the bad weather and bad time management have messed this up. Personally I have never known a construction project to finish on time in India, the list of excuses are always enormous but surprised that they have messed this up.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 22nd Sep, '10, 08:38

Except for the Delhi Metro. I read an IHT story about how it was completed on time and under budget and is the only mass transit system in the world that operates at a profit, it's already paid it's creditors back. Apparently at the helm was a man who had no tolerance for corruption, and showed that work of this scale can be done well in India. Wish I could remember his name - wish he was in charge of the games.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 22nd Sep, '10, 08:50

nice story Lili - will look that one up, some local members need to be sent the article NSW :)

Just read this "Delegates who visited the tower blocks where athletes will live during the games had described them as filthy, with rubble lying in doorways, dogs inside the buildings, toilets not working and excrement "in places it shouldn't be".

Sounds like what I saw earlier in the year when we were at a site build, absolute grossness, including the chinese chap I walked in on taking a massive arching leak into a rain puddle in one room. Can imagine exactly what the delegates saw. On the upside, somehow magically all of this stuff does get cleared up and things at the start of the production do look nice shiny and have a pretence of hygienic - so what they say may indeed be true about it cleaned up in time - but the threat should remain that players don't get on a flight until confirmed.

brrrggggghhhh, don't want to even begin to think about the first week that toilet pipe system is tested by all those botties. Build mentioned above was plagued with issues of inept(or corrupt) civil contractors who poured old waste cement into the drainage system that had to be cleaned/drilled out...hope someone has reminded the builders on the accomodation blocks at Dehli of this likely little drama.

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 22nd Sep, '10, 10:56

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Except for the Delhi Metro. I read an IHT story about how it was completed on time and under budget and is the only mass transit system in the world that operates at a profit, it's already paid it's creditors back. Apparently at the helm was a man who had no tolerance for corruption, and showed that work of this scale can be done well in India. Wish I could remember his name - wish he was in charge of the games.
Wow.... I was about to comment that we know someone who was involved in the tunnelling of the Delhi Metro (supervising it). He also did work in Singapore previously for the circle line or whatever it's called, which is where we met him when we lived there. He told us last year (before his contract finished in Delhi) that the Commonwealth Games was going to be a complete shambles - and looks like his prediction is coming true.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 22nd Sep, '10, 15:14

just read that the outcry over the state of hygiene and general readiness of the buildings is now Australia's fault... :roll:

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 22nd Sep, '10, 15:16

Morrolan wrote:just read that the outcry over the state of hygiene and general readiness of the buildings is now Australia's fault... :roll:
Of course it is. Within a week we'll be hearing that our concern regarding the state of hygiene is nothing but yet another racist attack on Indians by Australians.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Relaxed

Post by Fyn » 22nd Sep, '10, 16:08

Within a week? According to some of the comments in the Indian papers, it's already happening.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 22nd Sep, '10, 16:10

Because those bloody Westerner don't understand that it's because of the different standards.... actually everything is fine...the dogs were actually watch dogs and the rest....err....

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 22nd Sep, '10, 16:56

Part of the ceiling at the weight lifting pavilion has collapsed...

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 22nd Sep, '10, 18:01

I am wondering if I'm hearing things. The reports on the ABC keep referring to someone called Dickshit who is part of the games' organising committee. Am I right?

No wonder it's going doolally.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 22nd Sep, '10, 18:28

Deepshit?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Sep, '10, 19:01

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Wish I could remember his name - wish he was in charge of the games.
E. Sreedharan
Burbage wrote:Deepshit?
Dikshit. You were right first time aside from your (obviously racist) spelling.
baloo wrote:Part of the ceiling at the weight lifting pavilion has collapsed...
Indian Cabinet Secretary, KM Chandreshekhar wrote:"It's a minor thing and it will be corrected. It's not a matter to be worried about."
Last edited by Fat Bob on 22nd Sep, '10, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 23rd Sep, '10, 03:47

They way the Delhi Metro stays profitable is they station agents on the train to pick pocket passengers while riding. Happened to me in March. Really pissed me off but then it is to be expected.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 23rd Sep, '10, 04:51

What's racist about Dickshit?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 23rd Sep, '10, 07:30

Tas wrote:I suspect everyone arses will be having problems going by the classic cultural difference in hygiene comment. (That guy shouldn't ever put himself in a marketing situation!)
he's made himself very unpopularin India too, with that remark... :lol:

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Sep, '10, 08:16

Burbage wrote:What's racist about Dickshit?
Because you spelt is wrong. And therefore, you colonial oppressor, you must be racist.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 23rd Sep, '10, 10:22

Oh I see, but when I call Kevin Rudd 'Krudd' it's not racist? Or am I colonially oppressing Australians as well?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 23rd Sep, '10, 10:25

Burbage wrote:Oh I see, but when I call Kevin Rudd 'Krudd' it's not racist? Or am I colonially oppressing Australians as well?
But do you really say it if no one listens ?

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 23rd Sep, '10, 10:27

Ah, so they only listen when they can fling accusations of racism around?