Electric Shavers

Need a good place to eat ? Destination for Holiday ? Can't find a decent Handyman ? Or want to tell the world about your experiences ? This is the place.

Moderator: Fuzz

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Electric Shavers

Post by Spike » 11th Apr, '09, 15:57

A question for the men. I'm just recovering from a shaving induced skin infection for the second time in my life, caused by wet shaving with a normal twin blade razor. I'll be unable to shave for a couple of weeks until my skin recovers and am already looking very ''maritime".

I'm thinking of switching to an electric shaver to avoid this kind of infection in the future and would like to know if anyone can recommend a good lecky shaver. I was shocked to discover that top end shavers can cost in excess of S$500. I'd prefer to spend less than S$200.

I fancy one that you can shave wet or dry. Does anyone use a lecky shaver with shaving oil, as opposed to shaving foam? I've used oil (Somerset Shaving Oil) to wet shave for years and was wondering if it would it damage or gum up a shaver.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Electric Shavers

Post by Sardonicus » 11th Apr, '09, 16:17

I have a Braun Cruzer3, cost under S$200 about 2 years ago - there are higher-end models but this does it for me, and it's wet / dry. I prefer the bar-type over the Norelco / Phillips rotary type as I tried and it caught me a couple of times.

But, they only work so well - I use it to compliment shaving with gel with a double-bladed Gillete, the old type, those triple-blade ones always cut me.

Stuff like this I usually buy at Carrefour.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 11th Apr, '09, 17:31

the O/H bought one a couple months ago, panasonic, does wet/dry, can use oil, washable, so easy to rinse and clean but I think it was over $200, from Best Denki.. ES8113, he says it is great cause it is easy to clean and only 1 hour to charge, lasts long time. He suggests you buy one with the cleaning thingy adaptor.

the whole sales stuff says sharpest blades yada yada, but he is happy and now only uses it, no more wet shave, no more razor rash

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 12th Apr, '09, 12:46

Electric razors are for gayers. Real men shave through their rash and apply bits of bog roll to staunch the bleeding after jolting their nerves alive by applying an alcohol-based lotion.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 12th Apr, '09, 16:05

Fresh Mint wrote:Electric razors are for gayers. Real men shave through their rash and apply bits of bog roll to staunch the bleeding after jolting their nerves alive by applying an alcohol-based lotion.
I agree, and that's what I've been doing for the last 40 years but this is not a simple shaving rash and a couple of nicks. It's a painful and unsightly infection spread by shaving with a razor. This is the 2nd time I've experienced it in my life, it's very unpleasant and I don't fancy having it again in the future. If an electric razor is the way to avoid it, then hello sailor and call me Gaylord.

Canuck, thanks for the advice. I've been looking at the Panasonic range, which seems to get good reviews and they're less expensive than Braun. Will buy one as soon as I can safely get rid of this fuzz!
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 12th Apr, '09, 16:47

Neo has really sensitive skin so most days he uses electric. He has a Phillishave, cost about S$400 though.

When he has a real shave he uses Origins shaving oil (It's very nice; I use it on my legs ;) )

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 12th Apr, '09, 17:08

Spike wrote:If an electric razor is the way to avoid it, then hello sailor and call me Gaylord.
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 13th Apr, '09, 00:10

Mr PP has a Philishave too, he is a blade shaver usually, and only uses this as an "emergency" shaver, (so much for my thoughtful present :| ) however he does say that it is one of the best electric shavers he has used. I think he just finds them too time consuming.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 13th Apr, '09, 05:35

Grow a beard?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 13th Apr, '09, 08:35

I've tried electric shavers a couple of times. Normally the Braun expensive self-cleaning, self charging one. It's only dry though. Could never get into the hang of it. Missed bits, needing to go over the same spot 3 or 4 times, shaving rash. I'm not sure if it's because it's naturally more humid in Singapore hence your skin with more moist. I used one in Australia all the time, though that was more for time saving reasons as I'd shave while driving in to work.

I'm back to the classic 5 blades now.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 13th Apr, '09, 08:40

I think that's a downside to electric shavers in Sg, baloo - the humidity causing sticky skin. When I shaved Neo's head I often put talc on his neck before doing that bit. Not great for the clippers but got much better results.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 13th Apr, '09, 08:49

Last night NatGeo ran a show about (of all things) the development of the electric shaver. In it they said that 30% of American men use an electric shaver. The percentage apparently has dropped since it peaked in the 1960s.

Therefore, according to the school of FM logic:
  • 30% of American men are gay;
  • Gay men have a reputation for being fastidious about grooming, therefore the well-groomed man shaves with an electric, and
  • Schick and Remington are responsible for creating new groups of gay men and disappointed women.
Gotta watch them evil corporations! :shock:
Last edited by Bender on 13th Apr, '09, 09:25, edited 2 times in total.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 13th Apr, '09, 10:05

Burbage wrote:Grow a beard?
I have, but only out of medical necessity. That's the problem.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Apr, '09, 17:51

INFECTED!!! UNCLEAN!!!! GAYLORD!!!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 13th Apr, '09, 22:06

Isn't Gaylord the name of several Indian restaurants in the UK?
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 14th Apr, '09, 06:01

They are only allowed to call themselves Gaylord after they've been visited by Fat Bob.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Apr, '09, 07:35

I've never been to an Indian restaurant called Gaylord, nor have I ever bestowed the title upon any.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 14th Apr, '09, 08:12

just use a beard trimmer to trim down to 2 day growth and leave it at that. i gave up shaving more than 10 years ago and have done it ever since. a beard itches but a 2 day growth is fine. no more shaving rash!

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 14th Apr, '09, 08:22

Morrolan wrote:just use a beard trimmer to trim down to 2 day growth and leave it at that. i gave up shaving more than 10 years ago and have done it ever since. a beard itches but a 2 day growth is fine. no more shaving rash!
You know you gotta have faith to pull off that look. Oooo, you gotta have faith, faith, faith. :D
Last edited by Lili Von Shtupp on 14th Apr, '09, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 14th Apr, '09, 08:36

I know someone who hasn't shaved since Last Christmas.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 14th Apr, '09, 08:53

Burbage wrote:I know someone who hasn't shaved since Last Christmas.
That's handy if you just have to Wake up and go-go
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 14th Apr, '09, 09:11

Morrolan wrote:just use a beard trimmer to trim down to 2 day growth and leave it at that. i gave up shaving more than 10 years ago and have done it ever since. a beard itches but a 2 day growth is fine. no more shaving rash!
Hmm...depends on what job you do whether you can get away with that look. I don't think my clients, and more importantly, potential clients would be too impressed.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 14th Apr, '09, 09:48

Spike wrote:
Hmm...depends on what job you do whether you can get away with that look. I don't think my clients, and more importantly, potential clients would be too impressed.
worked for me in exec roles in the banking industry both in Europe and Asia...