TV to watch

Need a good place to eat ? Destination for Holiday ? Can't find a decent Handyman ? Or want to tell the world about your experiences ? This is the place.

Moderator: Fuzz

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Re: TV to watch

Post by daffodil » 16th Apr, '13, 12:14

The US show is good, liking the dynamic with the new judges too. Unlike AI, whose judges are simply woeful.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 24th Apr, '13, 11:00

I know I'm behind the trend, but started watching Game of Thrones and am all caught up to S3E3. It's been one hell of a ride. I also have the first book and have started reading it - it's weird I've been going back and forth between the book and TV show like a reference guide as opposed to just reading it like a straight novel. It fills in a lot of blanks, but overall I'm finding that it follows very closely. I don't have the other books yet though.

Tas, did you ever get around to watching it?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 24th Apr, '13, 11:05

Watch Broadchurch , great stuff

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 24th Apr, '13, 11:25

the austalaian host for The Voice makes be think of brown bath water if have even notice that he was there

Have not got around to watching the Game of Thrones yet LVS - desperate for the next volume to come out in the book!!!! Am considering re-reading from the start of the series again BUT think it's too soon. The shocks and expositions might need a few more years to dull down in the memory. Had a little holiday from Deadwood, but think will finish off the season III this weekend.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 24th Apr, '13, 11:34

Tas wrote:the austalaian host for The Voice makes be think of brown bath water if have even notice that he was there.
Still slightly better than Carson "I only have one facial expression" Daly of the US version. His inane and stupid commentary makes me cringe, and I'm not the only one. Even the US press trashes him regularly for it. I can't (don't want to) imagine how he scored TV gigs regularly.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 24th Apr, '13, 13:19

Yes I agree. He is by far the weakest link in what is otherwise a great show. I wish they'd ditch him (Carson that is).

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Apr, '13, 20:04

Continuum has started again.

I still,miss Outsourced.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Apr, '13, 23:34

expat yorkshire wrote:Watch Broadchurch , great stuff

I have mixed emotions about this. Yes, it's a brilliant series, but I also hate epy as I want to stay up all night and watch it.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Apr, '13, 21:04

"Stopping the Game of Clones,"

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Taking to Facebook, the U.S. ambassador to Australia is urging Australians to cease their illegal downloads of "Game of Thrones," saying that they are among the world's worst pirates of the wildly popular medieval television drama
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Apr, '13, 23:58

I do wonder, especially when it comes to top scifi shows, whether illegal downloads are part of the problem.

Scifi shows are the shows of geeks.
Illegal downloading is the realm of geeks.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 27th Apr, '13, 01:27

VIKINGS is really great - 1st season wrapping up - already confirmed for Season II based on viewership
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 27th Apr, '13, 10:52

The problem is, the U.S. networks don't give us any other choice. They need to start thinking global internet as their main distribution source. I would pay subscriptions for my favourite SciFi (or other) shows as long as they were fairly priced and available soon after air. But they don't provide anything like that and if they do, it's always blocked if not from U.S. ip

If I were to rely on local content provided here, i wouldn't get to watch anything, or rather it would be years after it was broadcast in the U.S.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Apr, '13, 12:42

I agree, Jedi, as I too want to watch the latest shows in an up-to-date manner, not 2 months or 2 years late. There are ways to get some of the shows in the same manner as those in the US get them over the internet (e.g. it is possible to watch Hulu, Syfy, Netflix in Singapore). This will then provide them with advertising revenue and the like.

It's still illegal, but some people think of it as slightly less illegal.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 27th Apr, '13, 13:29

I love TV, and buy the good sets by disc. But I have to wait over 10months and hope they ship. Now got the ipad got excited until saw how ridiculous it was in pricing, both the content and costs around MB download combined. Not nerdy enough to rip things, plus get too bored with the whole thing. Safe from me, but still shits me.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 27th Apr, '13, 13:29

Is it possible to watch netflix ?

I tried to register but they require a UK credit card and Uk address .

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Apr, '13, 17:38

Not actually tried netflix. I just know you can get access

Poppy Appeal

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 3rd May, '13, 11:09

Just finished season 1 of Falling Skies, really good post-apocalyptic survivors story.

Also started following Golden Boy, a police procedural drama. Pretty good if a little implausible; it tells the story of the rise of a street cop to youngest Police Commissioner of NYC. The Brit actor playing the titular role is good (and very good-looking! remember that guy who died in Lady Mary's bed in Downton Abbey? That's the one) and I think his American accent is believeable, but what do I know, I'm not American.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 4th May, '13, 16:38

Thanks for Falling Skies and Vikings, will check them out. Saw E1 of Vikings, looks pretty good, a little like GOT with Scandinavians.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 9th May, '13, 22:21

I've been poring over this list of shows for things to er, watch:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/0 ... 10798.html

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 10th May, '13, 09:18

Hmmm, so they are doing a US version of Rake with Greg Kinnear? Could be interesting, if they really stick to the formula that is.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 20th May, '13, 22:03

JOHN HURT!!!!!

Poppy Appeal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 21st May, '13, 01:49

Well you will have to wait until November..
We are the TPF

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 10th Jun, '13, 23:29

Falling Skies is back with season 3 (episodes 1 and 2 are shown back to back), still very good.

New shows: Mistresses (yawn), The Fosters (promising family drama), Twisted (whodunnit drama, not bad), Graceland (procedural drama; FBI/DEA/Customs agents living under one roof, quite fun).

Gave up on Revolution, it didn't really get anywhere. Hannibal is turning into a snoozefest too, the titular character is just so, one-dimensional. Not crazy enough.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 25th Jun, '13, 20:49

Mad Men Season 6 with another 13 episodes to go... I love this season and I loved last episode.... Wont say anything else
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 26th Jun, '13, 00:14

Top Gear will be back next Sunday