A380 Travel Tips

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

A380 Travel Tips

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '09, 13:15

When on an A380, or any plane fitted with a USB port, bring a USB cable on board and keep your SmartPhone charged for the entire flight.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Re: A380 Travel Tips

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '09, 17:15

So are you one of those annoying people who refuses to switch off their phone no matter how many times the crew tells you to?
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '09, 17:15

er, no.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 20th Nov, '09, 17:44

You can put the phone in 'airplane mode' and still use the other functions on the phone :D

Edit: which means it doesn't receive or transmit calls or sms
Last edited by slinky on 20th Nov, '09, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '09, 17:46

slinky wrote:You can put the phone in 'airplane mode' and still use the other functions on the phone :D

Edit: which means it doesn't receive or transmit calls or sms
Which means I shouldn't have head butted that German student last night when he kept fiddling with his phone after take-off.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 20th Nov, '09, 17:48

He was German, no excuse needed.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 20th Nov, '09, 18:50

A good point, well made.
DSCN0109.JPG
0715 Sanur Beach Hotel last week. The German residents, according to ancient custom, had already been out on a sun lounger denial mission.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 20th Nov, '09, 20:02

Once with my old PalmPilot. It didn't have any transmitter receiver functions I was just reading a book. The air hostess came to me and said no electronic devices. I said it's just a book, it doesn't receive transmit anything. The hostess said, "no electronic devices". I said okay. Can you lend me a screwdriver. She said why. I said well I need to take the battery out of my watch, it's the only way to switch off. She said why do you want to take the battery out of your watch? I said it's an electronic device and taking the battery out is the only way to switch off, and by the way, my pacemaker doesn't have an off button either.

She wandered off.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 20th Nov, '09, 20:27

baloo wrote:When on an A380, or any plane fitted with a USB port, bring a USB cable on board and keep your SmartPhone charged for the entire flight.
Er, why?

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 20th Nov, '09, 21:01

Fresh Mint wrote:
baloo wrote:When on an A380, or any plane fitted with a USB port, bring a USB cable on board and keep your SmartPhone charged for the entire flight.
Er, why?
So you can play Bejewelled for 16 hours :)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 21st Nov, '09, 00:08

Do aeroplanes have a phone mode?
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 21st Nov, '09, 07:12

One where the turn off all the navigation equipment on the plane so that passengers can use their phones?
We are the TPF

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 21st Nov, '09, 11:29

My advice on the A380 is to watch crappy movies and drink as much wine as you can, but hey, whatever works for you.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 21st Nov, '09, 22:22

How would that differ from your 747 advice?
We are the TPF

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 22nd Nov, '09, 18:19

The thing I find really stunning is that some people, despite repeated warnings, would rather risk death by interfering with the plane's electronics than switch off their precious mobile phone. F*^@wits.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 23rd Nov, '09, 19:30

Spike wrote:The thing I find really stunning is that some people, despite repeated warnings, would rather risk death by interfering with the plane's electronics than switch off their precious mobile phone. F*^@wits.
I think it's annoying as hell too but has it actually been proven that a phone would disturb the electronics of a plane? A case for the Mythbusters?

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 23rd Nov, '09, 19:31

Spike wrote:A good point, well made.
DSCN0109.JPG
0715 Sanur Beach Hotel last week. The German residents, according to ancient custom, had already been out on a sun lounger denial mission.
That's just our way of pre-booking the sun loungers....

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 23rd Nov, '09, 20:06

I must say, if they ban water bottles for fear that someone may attempt to drown the crew with a 750ml bottle of water, if mobile phones really could disrupt a plane, they would make you check them in.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 24th Nov, '09, 06:43

baloo wrote:I must say, if they ban water bottles for fear that someone may attempt to drown the crew with a 750ml bottle of water, if mobile phones really could disrupt a plane, they would make you check them in.
[smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 24th Nov, '09, 12:25

Burbage wrote:Once with my old PalmPilot. It didn't have any transmitter receiver functions I was just reading a book. The air hostess came to me and said no electronic devices. I said it's just a book, it doesn't receive transmit anything. The hostess said, "no electronic devices". I said okay. Can you lend me a screwdriver. She said why. I said well I need to take the battery out of my watch, it's the only way to switch off. She said why do you want to take the battery out of your watch? I said it's an electronic device and taking the battery out is the only way to switch off, and by the way, my pacemaker doesn't have an off button either.

She wandered off.
of course she wandered off otherwise she wouldn't have had time to spit in your food

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 24th Nov, '09, 12:55

expat yorkshire wrote:
Burbage wrote:Once with my old PalmPilot. It didn't have any transmitter receiver functions I was just reading a book. The air hostess came to me and said no electronic devices. I said it's just a book, it doesn't receive transmit anything. The hostess said, "no electronic devices". I said okay. Can you lend me a screwdriver. She said why. I said well I need to take the battery out of my watch, it's the only way to switch off. She said why do you want to take the battery out of your watch? I said it's an electronic device and taking the battery out is the only way to switch off, and by the way, my pacemaker doesn't have an off button either.

She wandered off.
of course she wandered off otherwise she wouldn't have had time to spit in your food
Lucky I was flying EasyJet then.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 24th Nov, '09, 14:15

Lichtgestalt wrote: I think it's annoying as hell too but has it actually been proven that a phone would disturb the electronics of a plane? A case for the Mythbusters?
Episode 49. Mythbusted.
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/epis ... plane.html
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Nov, '09, 15:29

But but but....I don't want it busted. I don't want someone sitting next to me saying "love, I'm on the plane....I'M ON THE PLANE" whilst I'm trying to sleep, watch a movie or eat my food. It's horrible enough as it is with the number of people on board, with 30% of them on the phone I'd go nuts!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 24th Nov, '09, 15:37

Fat Bob wrote:But but but....I don't want it busted. I don't want someone sitting next to me saying "love, I'm on the plane....I'M ON THE PLANE" whilst I'm trying to sleep, watch a movie or eat my food. It's horrible enough as it is with the number of people on board, with 30% of them on the phone I'd go nuts!
Good point, FB. Can you imagine the number of 'air rage' incidents that would likely occur if they gave the green light to chat away on cell phones in flight :shock: It's bad enough having to listen to them while the people are boarding and then again at the gate.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Nov, '09, 11:33

slinky wrote:
Fat Bob wrote:But but but....I don't want it busted. I don't want someone sitting next to me saying "love, I'm on the plane....I'M ON THE PLANE" whilst I'm trying to sleep, watch a movie or eat my food. It's horrible enough as it is with the number of people on board, with 30% of them on the phone I'd go nuts!
Good point, FB. Can you imagine the number of 'air rage' incidents that would likely occur if they gave the green light to chat away on cell phones in flight :shock: It's bad enough having to listen to them while the people are boarding and then again at the gate.
there'd be tears, i swear... [smilie=imprecations.gif]