Hotel in Istanbul

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Hotel in Istanbul

Post by Lichtgestalt » 3rd Jan, '11, 18:19

Hi folks,
we will be going to Istanbul for a long weekend in Feb. Anyone got a hotel recommendation? Things to do (or not) which aren't the main tourist attractions?
Thanks

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Hotel in Istanbul

Post by Kooky » 3rd Jan, '11, 18:33

I can tell you all about the airport hotels (2 airports).

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 3rd Jan, '11, 21:44

istanbul?? :|

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 3rd Jan, '11, 22:27

Wasn't my idea [smilie=whistle.gif]

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 4th Jan, '11, 03:39

Havent been there in ages so cant recommend hotel but Istanbul is actually great fun

Besides wandering for hours around the spice bazaar make a point of going to the Cagaloglu Hamami
turkish bath. Mentioned prominently in the '100 Places to See Before You Die' book. I literally go there every day when in Istanbul to soak up the atmosphere & have a nice personal steam clean.

Eating fresh fish sandwiches down at the Euro side of the Bosporus with the frying fish in one of the boat & the fishing lines at the other end is great fun & a gastronomic treat.
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Jan, '11, 04:29

Oh I'm sure it's a fabulous place, Lichty. I've wanted to go for many years but for some reason never made it.

I'd love to go back in better circumstances and explore - it really is a city of 2 cultures, that much is obvious as soon as you cross the Bosphorus. One airport was full of scantly-clad holidamakers, the other women in long skirts and headscarves (and bewildered, stuck, travellers).

Jolly Roger and the Cabin Boy have a holiday apartment there; I'll see if they have any recommendations.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 4th Jan, '11, 07:46

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 4th Jan, '11, 09:02

You're reading my mind, Canuck! :lol:

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 4th Jan, '11, 17:13

Kempinski Ciragan Palace is excellent - right on the Bosphorus. There's also new Four Seasons right next door

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 6th Jan, '11, 16:23

Oh great... now Doener Air isn't safe either

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -bomb.html

Turkish Airlines passengers overpower 'hijacker' claiming to have a bomb
Passengers aboard a Turkish Airlines flight from Oslo have overpowered a would-be hijacker as the plane landed at Istanbul airport. Police said the man was a Turk who had demanded that the plane return to Norway. His motive was unclear.

Reports suggest he tried to force his way into the cockpit of the plane saying: "I have a bomb."

The pilot notified emergency services at Istanbul's Ataturk airport. Passengers were quickly taken off after landing and the man was arrested and the bomb found to be a fake.

"I was sitting at the front end of the plane and I heard voices at the back of the plane around 30 minutes before we landed," said Lelya Kilic, one of the 60 passengers aboard flight TK1754 from Oslo.

"I saw a fight between passengers and a man with a mask, carrying a device that looked like a radio handset." Police said a passenger had been sitting on top of the hijacker when they entered the plane. Police identified the hijacker as Cuma Yasar, 40, and Anatolia news agency said the man was carrying a card identifying him as a disabled person.

Salim Tahar, a passenger, told Norwegian television that someone in the back of the aircraft had put on a mask and threatened to blow up the plane in the air.

"The man spoke Turkish and demanded the plane return to Oslo," Mr Tahar said.

He said the crew moved the other passengers to the front of the plane, while the would-be hijacker remained at the back.

There were no reports of anyone being hurt in the incident.

gulistanbul

Post by gulistanbul » 14th Feb, '11, 02:53

Istanbul airport shuttle provides a simple but efficient airport shuttle service operating 7 days a week between istanbul airport. They use experienced English speaking drivers who are specialized in the door-to-door transport of passengers and who know their way around www.istanbultransfer.net our fleet of mini-vans and cars offer a comfortable, reliable and economical transport into or out of pstis. No need to queue for taxis with their uncertain rates, or drag your bags around searching for public transport.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 14th Feb, '11, 09:08

are you selling something?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 15th Feb, '11, 04:14

The crazyman that drove me between airports was the highlight of my trip.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 15th Feb, '11, 13:57

Morr: that post was actually quite useful and without a handbag link, you are such a cynic

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 16th Feb, '11, 09:28

canuck wrote:Morr: that post was actually quite useful and without a handbag link, you are such a cynic
thanks, i try... :mrgreen: