Gili Islands...

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Gili Islands...

Post by JJ » 5th Jan, '11, 15:31

... anyone been? Recommend - can or cannot? Whats the story.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Gili Islands...

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Jan, '11, 15:44

Yes, can.

I've stayed at the Villa Ombak on Gili Trewangan (sp?) and did some diving from there. It's a nice, laid back place with very little to do. Villa Ombak has some villas on the beach front which are quite nice and relaxed with a good view, and there's many places for food, though I would say most of it is around the level of bar snacks rather than gourmet dining.

The whole island doesn't take that long to walk around, or so I've been told (I just dived and relaxed and dived and relaxed).

If you do go, can you give them hassle about my diving certification card? Thanks
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 5th Jan, '11, 15:53

Yes, been looking at that place, seems nice ... so if I want to do nothing then its a go :)

Has anyone been to Gili Air or Mena? They seem to be even more "remote" than Trewangan...

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 5th Jan, '11, 16:51

I thought Villa Ombak was dire. Sorry.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Jan, '11, 17:07

They have some new beach-side villas: did you stay in those? They are OK.

Nothing special I will admit, and all depends on how much of a princess you are about the place, but I've stayed in more dire places than Villa Ombak (and paid similar amounts of money).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 5th Jan, '11, 17:31

No, we were in an A-frame villa type of thing, with a totally outside bathroom down some rickety steps - fun in the middle of the night and the saltwater showers were bloody cold any time, as the weather when we were there was fierce! I think we got the tail end of a typhoon. Monsoon. Whatever they call them there.

I didn't think the rooms were bad, actually - basic but perfectly ok. The public areas and the restaurant, another matter entirely. I'd never had so much frozen veg since I was a student! I know they must have logistical issues but if the nearby Irish pub could do fresh veg, why couldn't they?

It's ok as a dive resort, I guess, but not my kind of place at all. Might as well have stayed in one of the bungalows for much less money.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Jan, '11, 18:00

Ah, yes, the restaurant was not particularly good, the pool was OK, and the steps down to the toilet in the night were always fun after a beer or two.

But the villas on the beach front are a better look, and yes, there's plenty of other reasonable food available on the island. I even found an almost OK almost posh restaurant recently.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 5th Jan, '11, 18:03

I must add it was there I discovered the beauty of fresh watermelon juice and Bacardi, so it wasn't all bad :)

I'm sure it's changed in the last few years. JJ, better get there now before it's spoiled.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 5th Jan, '11, 18:10

have had a look... Ko-Ko-Mo seems to be the do... Luxury boutique villas (although I doubt they will be seriously luxury - but looks a step up from the big resort type thing)...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Jan, '11, 18:24

Oooh, I ate there. Nothing memorable, which usually means nothing bad just as much as nothing exceptional! But yes, recognise it.

edit: from the photos they look a lot better than the ones on the beach front at Ombak.
Last edited by Fat Bob on 5th Jan, '11, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 5th Jan, '11, 18:27

Jesus, the website is so painful I couldn't explore it.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 5th Jan, '11, 18:27

Not THAT fussed (although its all relative innit) - just want a nice place where I can wake up and step onto the beach ... (oh, and my own private pool, butler, fabulous villa :-) )

For once I am trying to get super sorted on the holiday/short break in 2011 and book everything in advance, rather than stressing last minute and ending up staying at home....

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 5th Jan, '11, 18:48

I know Lombok pretty well actually (I am heading off there again tomorrow) but I don't particularly like Trewangan. Meno is much nicer in my opinion.

I'll let you know which places are up and which are down after the weekend.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 5th Jan, '11, 18:53

Yes, I think air or meno would be nicer/quieter and therefore more my scene, but I cant find any really lovely accommodation plus am going with someone who likes a bit of a party so...

But yes, let me know what places you think are worth it...

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 5th Jan, '11, 18:54

You can almost swim from one to the other ...

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 18th May, '11, 11:58

So I went and it was fab. Gili T is highly recommended - in fact any of the islands are highly recommended.