Jakarta Day Trip - Visa?

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Jakarta Day Trip - Visa?

Post by JJ » 1st Apr, '11, 17:18

I need to go to JKT on Tuesday - I cant stay over due to other meetings. Question - travelling on a UK passport, but I only have a half page left (was just about to send off for a new one) ... for a one day visit do they need to issue me with that visa that needs a whole page???

Havent been to JKT in AGES, but I remember the last time I went I had the same problem but I was there for quite a few days... if I am just flying in the morning and leaving in the arvo do i need a whole page free?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Re: Jakarta Day Trip - Visa?

Post by BoD » 1st Apr, '11, 17:49

In my experience (trying to get to Bali a few years ago), if you don't have a full page left, they won't even let you check in for the flight in Singapore. It may depend on which airline you are travelling with though

I don't think it will make any difference if you are only there for a day.
We are the TPF

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 1st Apr, '11, 18:12

hmmm. anyone know for sure? Last time I got in because I was with VVVIP client but quite a few years later I was hoping that the system had changed to allow for a small stamp or something just for Sing-JKT for less than 24 hrs...

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Apr, '11, 18:16

Pretty sure there's not a 'small stamp' but I reckon that if you can get to JKT you can feign ignorance or 'persuade' immigration to let you in. The problem is getting there at all
We are the TPF

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 1st Apr, '11, 18:55

No the problem is HAVING TO GO there at all... :D

but thanks for the info.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 2nd Apr, '11, 19:11

When we went to Bali in Nov 2010, we didn't get the giant page o'visa, just a small stamp.. I would ask someone at a consulate or airline

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 2nd Apr, '11, 19:21

Should have paid a bit more attention last week. Just checked my passport and for Bali I just got a smaller sticker (maybe 1/3 page) and a stamp. Still took up most of a page though
We are the TPF

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 2nd Apr, '11, 19:27

hmm maybe they ran out of stickers the day we arrived? just two stamps

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 2nd Apr, '11, 19:33

At least they have stopped the photo and finger print scanning thing. Previous time to Bali took 3 hours to get though immigration, last week about 5 mins
We are the TPF

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 2nd Apr, '11, 23:37

Bali is different than Jakarta. Bali is easier since tourists are their rice bowl.

In Jakarta, you're going to have to q for the "visa on arrival" and yes, it takes up a whole page. There is no exception for a day trip, you need that to get into the country. I travel there a fair amount, most recently two weeks ago. I use a razor and remove the visas after I get back to SG so that my passport isn't eaten up with them.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 3rd Apr, '11, 08:27

I've been to Jakarta a couple of times in the last six months. The first time I went I had to queue for 45 minutes for the visa on arrival, which takes up a whole darn page. Then I've queued for another 45 minutes for immigration. Second time I went, my client organised a fixer for me. Aircraft door to driver outside the airport, 10 minutes!
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 3rd Apr, '11, 08:30

Ah.. the life of a movie star
We are the TPF

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 3rd Apr, '11, 10:03

T2K that's a pretty good idea. I've got a few like that I wouldn't mind ridding myself of, in fact some are peeling away by themselves. Have you ever had issues at customs with official cross referencing the stamps to the visa?
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 3rd Apr, '11, 13:51

I remember BoD's kerfuffle and not being able to go to Bali :)

Can't help with the lack of space issue but having some strange little man, clearly not an official, take your passport off you on arrival can be a bit worrying until you get it back - complete with visa - within minutes before being whisked past all the immigration queues. Well worth doing if you can.

(That was Bali, Oct 2010.)

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 3rd Apr, '11, 14:28

Yes, there are a lot of services (official and unofficial) for bypassing the hassle in Indo.

There is a change now that the visa process is now combined with immigration. So, you don't have to do both. First you line up to buy the visa on arrival, then you line up for customs / immigration.

Tas - never had any problems.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 3rd Apr, '11, 14:38

Just checked my passport- went to Bintan March 20th and got the big full-page sticker.

But have to say, I was pleased in Bintan that they've combined the immigration queues. Previously I'd have to queue for the visa then join the Non-ASEAN Foreigner queue for immigration, which was always longer and slower than the ASEAN queues Mr VS and Wolfie were whisked through. This time, after I got my visa on arrival, I could join them in their queue. That rocked.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.