Weekend in Perth - where to stay, what to do?

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Weekend in Perth - where to stay, what to do?

Post by Kooky » 28th May, '11, 12:30

Might be visiting Perth next month; Neo has to go on business and I've never been, so thought I might accompany him and we'll go on the Friday night.
(Ooh, look, I'm a trailing spouse [smilie=groovy.gif] )

Don't want to waste it all driving to the Margaret River and back, so what else to do? Cafes, markets, mooching, eating, kind of thing? Bearing in mind it's Winter.

Where to stay? How about Freo? Or should we stay in the city and travel out? Any hotels to recommend?

Scrummy - am hoping to confirm soon but would you be free for lunch, etc., on Monday 27 June? I think I can get a train to your 'hood, if that's easier for you.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Re: Weekend in Perth - where to stay, what to do?

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 28th May, '11, 15:18

Yes indeed! SD is here so I can get the train in to meet you and he can pick sprog up from Kindy.

Hmmmmn.....things we did before we had kids......Freo's nice (prison's supposed to be good, but I've never been). Subiaco's better, I think. Leederville and Mt Lawley are supposed to be trendyish. There are boat trips to the Swan Valley wineries (although you risk being with a load of old fogies). Cycling along Swan river is great. Kings Park is fab. Beach might still be OK in clothes - lovely here today.

We've stayed at Duxton Hotel and Saville Suites, both fine and in the city. The big foodie/nightlife area is Northbridge, but it's getting an increasingly dodgy reputation for violence etc (not been in years).

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 29th May, '11, 05:44

How about going to Little Creatures brewpubs in Freemantle. We really enjoyed it.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 29th May, '11, 07:18

Thanks guys. I'll look up those areas and, yes, fancy it being sluggo that mentioned the brewery :lol:

The Duxton is on Neo's corporate list of hotels so I had a quick look at that yesterday. His office is in Applecross and I think he's holding the training there but he seems a bit vague on that at the mo.

It's not even 100% on yet but, if this trip doesn't happen, I'm going to make a plan to come over soon anyway, when I'm a lady of leisure. :D

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 29th May, '11, 21:25

Little Creatures is a good one :D

Freemantle has a market doesn't it? I know we went to one around Perth, but I can't remember exactly where it was now.

How is Rottnest Island in winter? Doable?

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 30th May, '11, 12:11

Rottnest Island in winter: Don't. Trust me. Super windy and the water is too cold!

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 30th May, '11, 13:19

LOL. We went to Kings Park yesterday and it was glorious - sunny and perfect for walking around in jeans and tee shirt (in fact SD got hot and put on shorts). Wind is picking up though; we just ate lunch outside but was noticeably windier than a few weeks ago.

Had the first rain storm since we got here last night - I looked out and the rain was blowing horizontally down the street. Glad we don't have a colourbond roof as they tell me they're more noisy.

There's a restaurant at Barracks Street Jetty that we used to go to a lot. It used to be called The Moorings, I think it's now called Daze or something. Not been there since Mini was 7 weeks old. We could have lunch there.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Jun, '11, 09:47

Well my flight's booked, even if Neo's isn't yet :)

Duxton Hotel gets incredibly shite reviews online, and has just lost points because Neo dared to ring up on a Saturday to ask about corporate rates and was told to ring back on Tuesday.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 13th Sep, '11, 12:14

The necessary but perhaps impossible notion of narrative communication thematizes the formation of pop culture.
Last edited by Morrolan on 13th Sep, '11, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 13th Sep, '11, 12:17

I was in Perth on New Year's Eve once. All the pubs and bars were closed! You can't get a meal after about 7:30pm and you get the feeling of tumble weed drifting through the empty town centre. Never went back.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 13th Sep, '11, 12:24

I liked it. So there. To me the city centre has a "be nice when it's finished" air.

(Neo should be landing there in about half an hour. I couldn't go this time :( )

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 13th Sep, '11, 12:38

Kooky wrote:I liked it. So there. To me the city centre has a "be nice when it's finished" air.

(Neo should be landing there in about half an hour. I couldn't go this time :( )
[smilie=fuite.gif]
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.