Airline, latest safety listing

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Airline, latest safety listing

Post by Tas » 30th Aug, '11, 09:11

Top 10 safe airline. Doesn't matter how safe they are I refuse to ever fly KLM again.

http://www.atra.aero/ATRA_HOLISTIC_SAFE ... G-cms4.htm

World's 10 safest airlines (in alphabetical order)
Air France-KLM
AMR Corporation (American Airlines, American Eagles)
British Airways
Continental Airlines
Delta Airlines
Japan Airlines
Lufthansa
Southwest Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways

sourced from SMH: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 1jj3k.html
Last edited by Tas on 30th Aug, '11, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Airline, latest safety listing

Post by Kooky » 30th Aug, '11, 09:15

Are Air France/KLM safe because they rarely get off the ground?

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 30th Aug, '11, 09:21

United and Continental have merged, does that pull them up or down the list? :lol:

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 30th Aug, '11, 10:02

I went off KLM after the squirrel shredding incident :(

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Aug, '11, 11:14

Didn't SouthWest have to make an emergency landing due to a big hole in one of their planes roof's?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 30th Aug, '11, 12:54

Surprised to see JAL up there with the terrible business they've been having and poor service I had last time I flew them.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 30th Aug, '11, 14:03

The Best Service is a different list Sardy. The SMH refers you to the Skytrax group for that, as 'best airline' - though criteria should be clarified what criteria for BEST - presume service a higher component. Taken from another related article. When flying via HongKong, Cathay is my preferred airline - the Dragon Air transfer is pretty decent too.

THE WORLD'S BEST AIRLINES : 2011
1. Qatar Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Asiana Airlines
4. Cathay Pacific Airways
5. Thai Airways International
6. Etihad Airways
7. Air New Zealand
8. Qantas Airways
9. Turkish Airlines
10. Emirates

World's Best Economy Class Airline
1. Asiana Airlines
2. Qatar Airways
3. Singapore Airlines

World's Best First Class Airline Seat
1. Cathay Pacific Airways
2. Etihad Airways
3. Singapore Airlines

Best Airline Inflight Entertainment
1. Emirates
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Cathay Pacific Airways

World's Best Business Class Airline Seat
1. Oman Air
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Qatar Airways

Best Premium Economy Class Airline
1. Air New Zealand
2. Turkish Airlines
3. Qantas Airways

World's Most Improved Airline
1. China Southern Airlines
2. Air China
3. Aeroflot Russian Airline

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 30th Aug, '11, 14:28

I get the difference between the two TAS, there is some correlation between a good airline and a safe one - if they're not making money they may very well be cutting corners in areas like maintenance.

In the case of JAL that was a concern when they started going downhill over the past 2-3 years among some I known who fly / flew them.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 30th Aug, '11, 14:30

BTW I flew Cathay cattle class from Hong Kong to Heathrow and back, and must say their seats, which slide but don't recline, were quite uncomfortable, especially on a flight of that duration.

Hadn't flown CP in a long time, thought they were better than that.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 30th Aug, '11, 14:52

The old CP business class were a feral design, horrible for a night flight. You still get them out of Brisbane, I discovered once to my horror, and speaking with a colleague based there it's routine. But I'm one of the folk who like the fishbone design of the newer business class, and like their entertainment set up. If you're on the old planes, quickly get another airline fast. Haven't done cattle class with them in years.

For domestic travel in Australia, I still far prefer Qantas for flying physically - but their inflight food options in economy are now completely feral, dry and tasteless (all of it) !!!! I think if they are going to provide such horrible stuff, they might as well go straight to the Virgin and Jetstar approach and provide a charged menu - at least that foodstuff is halfway edible. I can't believe anyone in that business has no idea how bad their snack and meals are, it's frightening to say, but I think I now actually prefer the economy meals on the China economy flights (most improved airlines included above)!!!

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 30th Aug, '11, 15:50

The fact that so many Asian airlines are at the top of the best service list just proves what I'd already figured out - even on good old United, the service is always noticably better when you have an Asian crew.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 30th Aug, '11, 18:38

Contrary to popular sentiment, I've had mostly positive experiences on UA and NW international flights; can't comment on their domestic routes.

Agree on the meals Tas, some were pretty dire.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Aug, '11, 18:47

Safety: as I said, can't see why SouthWestern are in the top 10. What happened to the rest?

Best: I've had positive and negative experiences in half of those in there, and not touched the rest.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 31st Aug, '11, 00:08

Im not sure if Southwest has ever actually crashed. They did have that one incident where the was a hole in the top of the plane but that's the only incident I can remember hearing about.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 31st Aug, '11, 10:42

Sardonicus wrote:Contrary to popular sentiment, I've had mostly positive experiences on UA and NW international flights; can't comment on their domestic routes.
I've had mostly positive experiences on UA - both international and domestic - as well, but when I'm on a UA flight going into or out of an Asian country with an Asian crew I find them to be much more pleasant and service oriented than the 'old bags from Chicago' who haven't quite retired yet, but certainly have the attitude that they have and that everyone is imposing on them [smilie=rotflmao.gif] ;)

Haven't flown Southwest in years - but back in the early-to-mid 90s when I did, they were cheap & cheerful, as I recall. Did have a (slight) emergency landing with them once though - complete with firetrucks chasing us down the runway :o Turned out all to be for extra precaution over a noisy air con system or something - there was no fire. And then I missed my connection, but at least they put me in an airport hotel for the night - I think the days are basically gone for that kind of thing now.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 31st Aug, '11, 10:56

Slinky, I hate to say it, but I've felt that way too. I don't have any problem with people of all ages as cabin crew, but if they've been doing it for too long and it shows then I think it's time to retire, or at least go to a different position within the airline. But it feels like every flight has at least one attendant on it with that whole "Been there, done that, couldn't be bothered now" attitude, and not just the women attendants either. Some of those old bags from Chicago are male. :lol:
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 31st Aug, '11, 11:05

slinky wrote:
Sardonicus wrote:Contrary to popular sentiment, I've had mostly positive experiences on UA and NW international flights; can't comment on their domestic routes.
I've had mostly positive experiences on UA - both international and domestic - as well, but when I'm on a UA flight going into or out of an Asian country with an Asian crew I find them to be much more pleasant and service oriented than the 'old bags from Chicago' who haven't quite retired yet, but certainly have the attitude that they have and that everyone is imposing on them [smilie=rotflmao.gif] ;)
The flight attendant on my UA ORD-SFO flight was lovely, but so old that her hand was shaking when she was serving me coffee. How's that for passenger safety? There was no spillage thankfully, but then they lost my bag in SFO. The ground staff made me run around to different counters for about an hour, and finally had a supervisor help me put a note to reroute the bag to SQ (my connecting flight) if it shows up. To make sure, I went to SQ to ask them to track my bag. SQ (not UA!!) contacted me by email (time stamp shows it arrived when I was midflight), and by phone immediately after I landed, telling me they have found my bag and it's on the next flight to Singapore. They delivered it to my doorstep 24 hours later. all of this, despite the fact that I bought the UA ticket separately. That's what I call service.
Last edited by nev on 31st Aug, '11, 11:09, edited 2 times in total.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 31st Aug, '11, 11:18

(Nothing to do with safety)

I can't remember who Neo took a connecting flight with last time he went to the States, from LA to Atlanta, but when he showed the ground staff his badly cracked case (not useable) they gave him a bin bag [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Even Neo got shitty at that.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 31st Aug, '11, 13:31

Kooky wrote:(Nothing to do with safety)

I can't remember who Neo took a connecting flight with last time he went to the States, from LA to Atlanta, but when he showed the ground staff his badly cracked case (not useable) they gave him a bin bag [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Even Neo got shitty at that.
Could have been a roll of duct tape instead [smilie=w00t.gif] ;)

Delta has a big hub in Atlanta - could have been them (could have been almost anyone though, Atlanta is a huge airport). But, speaking of Delta, one of my best domestic flight experiences in the US in recent years was a Delta flight out of Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 1st Sep, '11, 00:20

Speaking as one of the oldest members of the Porum, you are showing your age prejudice.
Last edited by sluggo on 1st Sep, '11, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 1st Sep, '11, 19:09

sluggo wrote:Speaking as one of the oldest members of the Porum, you are showing your age prejudice.
That's the benefit of old age...even 50yo count as young chicks ;)