Palau Diving - Dec 2012

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Palau Diving - Dec 2012

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Dec, '12, 17:13

Just been to Palau diving, and must say - I'll be going back!

Went for a week (flights are not everyday) and had a great time. Lots of big fish, lots of little fish - at one point, couldn't figure out if to watch the sharks, Napoleon Wrasse, turtles or fight of the titan trigger fish. Plus loads of small fish, some great schools of fish (jacks, baracudas, tuna). And also went to the jellyfish lake and some simple cave diving - also great fun as well.

I went with Sam's Tours - good outfit, and I've heard Fish N Fins also do a good job. All of my diving was from the resort with boats out to the islands/channels with the diving.

Only thing I would change would be the way there and back. Heading through Manila airport was a hassle both ways. Manila just is not set up for transfers, especially between different airlines. Some hassle on the way out (should have had some security stickers but didn't) and lots on the way back (got given our check-in luggage whilst we were sleeping in a lounge - took ages for the transfer desk to open in the morning and then the airline didn't understand why we had the luggage).

Anyhoow, photos are up on Picasa, and I just love this one:

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Re: Palau Diving - Dec 2012

Post by Duck » 23rd Dec, '12, 19:23

Oooh...love the pic!
I have just got back from Sipadan...whilst there was an abundance of fish, some turtles, reef sharks and white tip sharks the size of me to swim amongst...I was a tad disappointed with the visibility. I have to say a highlight was being surrounded by a school of Jack fish with no way out...the school of bump head parrot fish was pretty impressive too! Couldn't believe how huge they were! On closer inspection some rather large nudibranches featured, and seeing the orangutan crab was a unique experience.

Love the Philippines, so would totally be up for a dive trip to Palau having read your review...thanks for the recommendation!
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 23rd Dec, '12, 20:48

Just been to Palau in Nov, Sam's Tours' operations was $hite, total chaos in the office. Most days we didn't leave til 10am, even though we got there at 8.30am every day. Madness. Thankfully the boat crew and guides and the diving were excellent, totally made up for the crazy chaos at the dive centre.

I totally agree the transfer through Manila is horrible, couldn't wait to leave that ugly-a$$ airport. Only in that airport the gate looks like the door to the toilet!!! Next time I go to Palau I'm going to go through Taipei or HK, or even Tokyo. Anything but Manila, really.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Dec, '12, 21:10

Can't say much about the office, I visited there twice. And yes, had several 8:30 pick ups and much later departures. I just relaxed, sometimes it was to get to the dive site at the right time for the tides, other times it was disorganisation.

Can't say I've had anything better in other countries except on either live-aboard or straight-from-resort diving. However, in general, the costs were more in Palau (and I found no one particularly cheaper than Sam's Tours across Palau).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal