Robin Hood

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Robin Hood

Post by Fat Bob » 15th May, '10, 07:48

FB's rating: not bad, bit long in the middle.

The story of Robin Hood is well known. Therefore, before you go watch this movie, forget that story. This is how Robin Hood became Robin Hood. And of course, deals with none of the facts as there are so few (if any) facts of Robin Hood!

The acting is good: the movie overall does a good job, a good start, and a good end, with Robin at the forefront of the struggles between King John and the Lords that happened in the late 12th/early 13th Century.

The start of it is great: Richard is returning from the Holy Land, Robin is an archer, there's a siege...great middle age war mongering (and since I'm reading hte Thomas of Hookton series by Bernard Cromwell, then I certainly enjoy this stuff!) The ending is great, Robin being a important part of the English repelling the French on the southern shores.

The middle part: long and drawn out. OK, I'm all into parts of a movie that don't contain fighting, blood, guts, war, explosions, as long as they are in keeping with the movie. This one seemed to just go on and on, and though you see a couple of things that could be of importance, but you could also fall asleep and still understand everything without a hitch!

If I awarded stars, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Re: Robin Hood

Post by Burbage » 15th May, '10, 09:02

Trouble with Scott is that he lets himself be pushed around by studios, though, it has to be said, they do put up the cash.

Most of his movies are vastly superior in the director's cuts on the DVD (Bladerunner, Kingdom of Heaven) than they are in the cinema cuts. Also the blockbuster movie has to get in at PG13, whereas the DVD doesn't.

The DVD will probably make sense of that middle bit. Hopefully.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 15th May, '10, 09:13

The English are complaining his accent was "that of an Irishman who took too many Australian holidays". What did you reckon FB?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th May, '10, 10:55

I'd heard that comment before I saw it, and yes, though I don't know what accents men of Nottingham in the 12th Century had, I do believe it was a little Irish.

There again, the welshman amongst the troop didn't sound that welsh. There again, nor did he shag any sheep on the screen....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 15th May, '10, 17:18

Fat Bob wrote: There again, nor did he shag any sheep on the screen....
Authenticity suffers again.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 15th May, '10, 22:14

OMG how many robin hood movies has there been? Most of the hollywood robin hoods had an american accent and they didn't even try. (like kevin costner).
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 16th May, '10, 07:08

Burbage wrote:The English are complaining
Don't they always? :roll:

They've obviously got it wrong. For what it's worth, I won't be racing to the cinema to find out for myself.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 16th May, '10, 09:39

In the trailer they seemed to have 12th century landing craft that look an awful lot like the ones used for the D Day landings..
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th May, '10, 13:18

I did laugh at that indeed.

Poppy Appeal

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 17th May, '10, 06:30

Mr Oz wrote:OMG how many robin hood movies has there been? Most of the hollywood robin hoods had an american accent and they didn't even try. (like kevin costner).
You wouldn't want Kevin Kostner to try to do a British accent.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 17th May, '10, 06:58

sluggo wrote:
Mr Oz wrote:OMG how many robin hood movies has there been? Most of the hollywood robin hoods had an american accent and they didn't even try. (like kevin costner).
You wouldn't want Kevin Kostner to try to do a British accent.
Getting him to act would be a start.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th May, '10, 07:55

Quite a few

Never knew ole blue eyes had played the part.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 17th May, '10, 09:26

Burbage wrote:The English are complaining his accent was "that of an Irishman who took too many Australian holidays".
:roll: critics...

given that Robin Hood never existed, I think his accent is whatever the actor makes of it. no one probably has any exact clue as to what dialects were spoken in what area in the 12th, 13th century and by whom.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th May, '10, 09:35

It's a spectrum. At one end you have Meryl Streep and at the other you have Dick Van Dyke.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 17th May, '10, 09:47

Bender wrote:
Burbage wrote:The English are complaining
Don't they always? :roll:

They've obviously got it wrong. For what it's worth, I won't be racing to the cinema to find out for myself.
Good to see you're back. At least when I start asking lots of daft questions about moving to Oz in a couple of months you'll be able to answer!

Re Kevin Costner: Isn't the Turkish Airlines ad on all the buses cringey?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th May, '10, 09:53

Scummy Mummy wrote:
Bender wrote: Don't they always? :roll:

Good to see you're back.
Agree!

[smilie=mango.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 17th May, '10, 09:57

Yeah, it's going to be especially handy when I'm in Oz before my furniture has arrived and need to know how to make scrambled eggs, dry my hair, and wash up all just using a toaster :D

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 17th May, '10, 15:26

Morrolan wrote:
Burbage wrote:The English are complaining his accent was "that of an Irishman who took too many Australian holidays".

given that Robin Hood never existed, I think his accent is whatever the actor makes of it. no one probably has any exact clue as to what dialects were spoken in what area in the 12th, 13th century and by whom.
Certainly doesn't worry the RSC when they do Hamlet. Danish anyone?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th May, '10, 16:37

Well, I did notice that King Richard the Lionheart (and the rest of the noblemen) was speaking Enlgish in the movie....

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 17th May, '10, 18:56

Morrolan wrote:

given that Robin Hood never existed....
Huh?

Next, you'll be telling us that there's no Santa :roll:
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.