Star Trek

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Star Trek

Post by Jedi » 8th May, '09, 01:51

Absolutely brilliant!

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: Star Trek

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th May, '09, 14:28

Agree 100%

Enjoyed every bit of it. Me being the only one there who had ever watched the original series got more of the extra bits etc than the others but they all enjoyed it too.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 10th May, '09, 01:17

I loved the Next Generation series and only watched sporadic episodes of the original series. Will try to catch this movie if I can.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 10th May, '09, 13:08

Wow, zeph, you've got a lot of catching up to do. DS9 had some good later episodes, Voyager was cut short but still good, and Enterprise did a good job too. And the movies...well, some good, some not so good.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 10th May, '09, 15:12

Voyager made the full 7 seasons. Enterprise was cut short at 4 seasons.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 10th May, '09, 18:25

Oh, thought they'd cut it short. Oh, well, proves how good it was if I didn't feel it that way!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Addadude
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Totally underwhelmed

Post by Addadude » 11th May, '09, 10:48

I just saw Star Trek on Saturday with my beloved who's a Star Wars fan. It would appear that as a general rule, Star Wars never seem to enjoy Star Trek movies. This was certainly an exception and we both loved it. The dialog is a bit facile in places and the storyline is surprisingly straightforward (for a movie that features time travel as a core plot element). Zachary Quinto steals the show as the young Mr. Spock.

BTW, I keep drooling over all those lovely boxed sets of the various Star Trek series in HMV but I just can't justify the cost... :(
Last edited by Addadude on 11th May, '09, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 11th May, '09, 10:55

Not sure how it is now, but ordering box sets from Amazon used to be subtantially cheaper than buying directly from HMV.

ps. I am both a Star Wars and Trek fan. :)

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 11th May, '09, 11:48

I loved the movie - makes me want to watch the original series but like Addadude said, can't justify the cost. Growing up, I watched and loved the Next Generation but hated Voyager.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 11th May, '09, 12:28

How much is the boxed original series? Haven't seen it on sale here.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/t ... =a-section

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 11th May, '09, 15:17

I love Next Gen, I liked DS9, I liked voyager - and the original 3 movies were good - but as FB said about the movies - some are good and some not. This new movie was awesome - hey maybe in the new time line Tasha doesnt need to get killed by the blob :)
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 11th May, '09, 15:57

OMG, now that really brings back memories.

FurBaby
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 11th May, '09, 23:06

just watched it with my parents today - my Dad inducted me into being a Trekkie was i was little :)

nevertheless: i can't believe they made my cry! twice!

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 12th May, '09, 10:26

Probably only of interest to the trekkies (don't read if you haven't seen the movie):
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... star-trek/

Have to say, on my second viewing I saw a lot of flaws that I missed the first time round. But then again, Star Trek was never perfect. :)
Last edited by Jedi on 12th May, '09, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

FurBaby
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 12th May, '09, 21:39

there were a bunch of continuity hiccups too, but i forgave them that for including the old Trek inside jokes while not being too OTT about it :)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th May, '09, 22:06

Joseph27 wrote:I love Next Gen, I liked DS9, I liked voyager - and the original 3 movies were good - but as FB said about the movies - some are good and some not. This new movie was awesome - hey maybe in the new time line Tasha doesnt need to get killed by the blob :)
But she didn't get killed in another timeline, and then went back to be a romulan sex slave and her daughter went out to beat up Picard!

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 13th May, '09, 18:45

See now there is no way she can become the sex slave and therefor her daughter can't arrange to interfere in Klingon politics - Tuvok from Challenger was probably killed on the planet - so there goes his role.... of course the star trek world is used to changes to the time line - next episode they should include Admiral Picard
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 15th May, '09, 08:28

It was brilliant, wasn't it.

Went last night on a whim, thankfully a dynamic and loud movie given the old white blob sitting in front of us with his two much younger not-so-white female companions who were yapping the whole time at normal speaking levels. And who had food delivered to them in the cinema - first time I've seen that. The constant crinkling of plastic sushi take-away boxes to punctuate the movie's quiet scenes. And to give stereo distraction to the two groups behind us narrating the movie, also at normal speaking levels. Somebody remind me why this is OK here?

Really well-cast, people had their proto's parts down perfectly. Felt like a sequel is coming, and made me want to see the older movies, though I wasn't such a fan. Nice they let Nimoy do the traditional closing traditionally done by Shatner. I guess Denny Crane was not available.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 16th May, '09, 12:16

I saw it, thought it was a good show and they did a good job, enjoyed it. But, not really up there in my brilliant list. Something a tad Starship Troopers about it in a few places that made me chuckle. Liked the old Spok inclusion. Wasn't a trekkie to know about all the bits and pieces you're talking about regarding plots.

the trailers left me feeling pretty excited about the next Transformers and the next Terminator movie (I skipped 3rd one cause the trailers looked shyte and John Connor looked to wussy/wrong)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 16th May, '09, 12:21

oh but one thing I loved was all the vessels, and hydraulics and effort into making the materials looked scratched about and a tad industrial. the juxtaposition of the farm land with the big complexes km into the sky. glimpsed at the science blogg page and decided that it would likely ruin that part of my enjoyment of the scene engineering.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th May, '09, 01:20

But wha did your mum think?

Thought must agree, good, but not something that reflects the excitment I had about it. If it wasn't for the original series, it wouldn't have been anything special.

However, I did think it was re-introducing the cast into another series of movies. The next ones may be worth the same amount of excitment and maybe they will go boldy where no move has gone before.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 17th May, '09, 05:41

Movies? Is is a new TV series about to be made?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th May, '09, 10:24

I'd read they signed up for two more movies. Didn't say antything about a TV series.
Fat Bob wrote:The next ones may be worth the same amount of excitment and maybe they will go boldy where no move has gone before.
Oh, no, no, no. You can't change the "boldly go"! :lol:
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 17th May, '09, 20:32

Jedi wrote:Probably only of interest to the trekkies (don't read if you haven't seen the movie):
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... star-trek/

Have to say, on my second viewing I saw a lot of flaws that I missed the first time round. But then again, Star Trek was never perfect. :)
That's excellent Jedi :mrgreen: so geeky but so funny.

This one is another funny observation: http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/12/lol ... -scanners/

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 24th May, '09, 19:39

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved the explanation of how everyone got to be on the USS Enterprise and the foundation of the Kirk / Spock relationship. Some humouoros touches, just like the series.

Looking forward to seeing the crew in the next one! [smilie=groovy.gif]
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.