Botak Jones

Restaurants, Bars & Nightclubs of Singapore

Moderator: Fuzz

BoD
Part of the furniture

Botak Jones

Post by BoD » 26th Jun, '08, 10:43

Finally got around to trying one on the Botak Jones, burgers in the heartlands places last night..

Hidden away in the back of Block 529 AMK Ave 10, it looks much like any other food stall. The menu is pretty extensive "American fare" Burgers, fries, dogs, chilli etc. A basic burger and fries is $7.50, but you pay 1$-2$ for any extras - bacon, chesese, egg etc, so it gets to about $10-12 pretty easily. Still the portions were generous, and tasted pretty good.

Added bonus was that Q was happy with noodles from the stall next door
We are the TPF

Queenie
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: Botak Jones

Post by Queenie » 26th Jun, '08, 10:56

That's because I only like gourmet burgers :lol:

The first time we bought wagyu burgers from Espirito, I was asked how we were going to cook it. Very confidently, I said we'll have it with fried spuds with bacon and rosemary, and rocket with parmesan. "Okay" was all he said and he proceeded to Cold Storage to buy cheap cheddar and buns because burgers can only be eaten that way. Vive la difference!

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 26th Jun, '08, 10:57

Is this a new location in AMK? The other one in AMK is/was at Blk 608 Ang Mo Kio Ave 5. But I haven't been there since late last year due to my diet this year. We used to eat there regularly as it was a short hop from Serangoon North/AMK Ave 3 where I live. AMK Ave 10 is even closer and a single bus from my flat. May play hell with my maintenance guidelines though! What say ye, baloo? ;)

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 26th Jun, '08, 11:22

If anyone can tell me where to buy burger buns other than the cheap ones from CS, then I would love to know. A burger without a bun is not a burger

Yes, AMK Ave 10 near the jn with AMK St 52. According to the website that is the only AMK branch, though they are opening at Serangoon Ave 4 in August
We are the TPF

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 26th Jun, '08, 11:37

Do you like Botak Jones' burgers? I don't know, there's some weird mushy quality about them - I can't quite put my finger on it...

But I'll order anything else on the menu, Mr VS loves the place and I think it's great value.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 26th Jun, '08, 11:38

The burger was fine, but the bun was too soft and mushy. Will prob try something else next time
We are the TPF

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 26th Jun, '08, 11:42

Botak is also is Toa payoh.... next to Singapore Press Holdings .

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 26th Jun, '08, 11:50

BoD, the trick about buns is to toast them first - either on the grill or in the broiler. I'd say try the more upmarket bakeries for kaiser rolls or some other small crusty loaves that are about the same size. But I know what you mean. Botak Jones has a sliced beef sandwich that's so tasty - the beef melts in your mouth - too bad the bread melts in your hand...
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 26th Jun, '08, 12:11

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Botak Jones has a sliced beef sandwich that's so tasty - the beef melts in your mouth -
that's because they only use the highest quality cat...

Queenie
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Queenie » 26th Jun, '08, 12:13

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Do you like Botak Jones' burgers? I don't know, there's some weird mushy quality about them - I can't quite put my finger on it...

But I'll order anything else on the menu, Mr VS loves the place and I think it's great value.
Something about the bun didn't look right. My immediate comment when it was served was that the buns seem under-baked and soft. I am fussy about my bread when it comes to sandwiches and burgers. Would rather not have any and thankfully I didn't order any last night.

ANyone tried the chilli con carne there?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 26th Jun, '08, 12:34

How can you have a burger without a bun ?

It's like having a hot dog without a bread roll.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 26th Jun, '08, 12:40

You could always have a Pretzeldog.

(Sorry - I've been wondering all morning how I could work that into a thread.)

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 26th Jun, '08, 12:47

[smilie=rotflmao.gif] [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Good ones Kooks.

If you're in Singapore the bun was probably made with beef bread or something.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 26th Jun, '08, 13:13

Then it looks like they have moved it from the old location. Better news for me even yet, as they are supposed to open one at 214 SERANGOON AVENUE 4 which is only a 15 minute walk from my flat. :D At least it will put some variety in that area what with the proliferation of Prata shops a block up the street a 100 meters or so.

Queenie
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Queenie » 26th Jun, '08, 14:05

baloo wrote:How can you have a burger without a bun ?

It's like having a hot dog without a bread roll.
Why not? Because Macdonald's do not have bun-less burgers? :D
Think of the beef patty as a slab of marinated mince meat. At the end of the day, I ama meat and spuds person. I guess I am weird that way. I normally have my sausages (sometimes hotdogs) on its own too.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 26th Jun, '08, 14:15

Queenie wrote: The first time we bought wagyu burgers from Espirito, I was asked how we were going to cook it. Very confidently, I said we'll have it with fried spuds with bacon and rosemary, and rocket with parmesan.
Your way sounds better, Q! Would you recommend the Wagyu burgers then?

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 26th Jun, '08, 14:28

cromasaig wrote:
Queenie wrote: The first time we bought wagyu burgers from Espirito, I was asked how we were going to cook it. Very confidently, I said we'll have it with fried spuds with bacon and rosemary, and rocket with parmesan.
Your way sounds better, Q! Would you recommend the Wagyu burgers then?
I'd recommend anything at Espirito, and I'd highly recommend wagyu (burger or steak). Worth every penny. [smilie=party0021.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 26th Jun, '08, 15:04

Queenie wrote:Why not? Because Macdonald's do not have bun-less burgers? :D
Think of the beef patty as a slab of marinated mince meat. At the end of the day, I ama meat and spuds person. I guess I am weird that way. I normally have my sausages (sometimes hotdogs) on its own too.
No no no no. This has nothing to do with MacDonalds.

A burger comes in a bun. A beef patty is what goes into a bun to make a burger. Same as a hot dog. A sausage only becomes a hot dog when you stick it in a bread roll. If you're eating the patty without the bun, then you're eating a beef patty, not a burger.

Next you'll be telling me carrot cake contains no carrot.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 26th Jun, '08, 15:12

I thought a beef patty was one of those steaming brown piles in the cattle meadow.

As usual, Americans take something that never belonged to them and now try to convince everyone they invented it. There is a reason why the call it a hamburger you know. (I suppose they did add bread, extra sauce, loads of sugar and fizzy 15% sugar and caramel solution, I suppose so that no one would confuse it with food. That backfired, eh?)

Queenie
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Queenie » 26th Jun, '08, 15:16

Man, you have all grounds covered, haven't you? Incidentally, Botak does serve bun-less burgers. They have 2 eggs in place of the buns. Now you are going to tell me it's only for Singaporeans [smilie=rollingpin.gif]

Croma - The burgers at Espirito are very decent. Even the standard ones. They used to have burgers with bits of blue cheese in it. Pity they don't serve them anymore. I suspect their burgers are pre-pprepared and frozen and defrosted when necessary so buy only if you intend to have them on the same day or two.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 26th Jun, '08, 15:18

Queenie wrote:Man, you have all grounds covered, haven't you? Incidentally, Botak does serve bun-less burgers. They have 2 eggs in place of the buns. Now you are going to tell me it's only for Singaporeans [smilie=rollingpin.gif]
Don't believe everything you read. All BJ is doing is getting people to munch down on a beef patty swimming in eggs. No burger about it.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 26th Jun, '08, 15:25

Dr Atkins would approve, and I'm sure skank will be commenting on Botak Jones when he comes online later.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 27th Jun, '08, 12:31

What's the difference between a grilled chicken sandwhich and a grilled chicken burger?

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 27th Jun, '08, 12:35

Satellite wrote:What's the difference between a grilled chicken sandwhich and a grilled chicken burger?
A sandwich is made with bread; a burger is made with a burger roll.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 27th Jun, '08, 12:41

next question

Why then does sandwiches not have the same "unhealthy" label attached to it.. it can afterall be just as "unhealthy" as surely just the subsitution of a bun can't make all the difference ot nutrition value?
Last edited by Satellite on 27th Jun, '08, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.