Dentist thread

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Dentist thread

Post by Fat Bob » 25th Jun, '11, 06:56

nev wrote: The bruising can be hidden with make-up (lots of it) I think. Thanks slinky!
Or a mask. Or a bag.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 29th Jul, '11, 09:32

I wouldn't recommend Tay & Partners (TP Dental Surgeons). I went there with a molar that was broken in half by an unpopped corn (hiding in the popped ones, ba$tard!). The dentist had to inject me 5 times before it was numb enough ("I couldn't find the nerve because your teeth are too close together" wtf?). He then proceeded to put a temporary crown on, while a hapless dental assistant kept suctioning the the insides of my cheek, missing all the liquids entirely. $385 for the torture, which I thought was a rip-off. Never again.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 29th Jul, '11, 09:40

Oops somebody recommended them on page 1. (Wasn't me.)

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 29th Jul, '11, 09:50

They have several dentists, maybe I was unlucky. But seriously, a bad dentist AND a bad assistant? Jeez. It really was not a good day.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 29th Jul, '11, 10:11

wish had not read that description Nev. I'm having total flashbacks to useless assistants sticking that sucker into senstive bits of cheek and flesh and poking it about with no frigg'n clue, brrghhhhh. I usually take about 3 needles+ to get anywhere - my favourite memory was getting the shudders, heart palpitations and shakes because he missed some spot - and he seemed not to think that was a problem...funnily enough I've not been back to a dentist since the last effort......
shudder
Last edited by Tas on 29th Jul, '11, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 29th Jul, '11, 10:16

Yep I can completely identify with the assistant not having a clue where they're sticking the suction tube; there's one at my periodontist like that.

The bill of $275 for under ten minutes' work the other night was even more painful.

nev, all those injections for prep for one temporary crown sounds ridiculous.

edit: can't spell rickydoodylus
Last edited by Kooky on 29th Jul, '11, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 29th Jul, '11, 10:42

Kooky wrote:nev, all those injections for prep for one temporary crown sounds riduculous.
i agree. for my first crown the tooth was prepped and drilled down without any shots. to put a temporary cap you shouldn't need anything.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Jul, '11, 12:58

But if it's broken in half there could be some very sensitive nerve endings exposed. I once had a broken tooth that was so painful I had to be put under for the work to be done. I'd had a million injections and nothing made even the slightest difference in the intensity of pain. I couldn't stop shaking, so the dentist couldn't even work. And let me tell ya, I'm no stranger to dental work. That was awful.

Sorry about your ordeal, Nev, I can soooo relate.

On that note, mother of coincidences, I just got back from a check-up and scaling. I rewarded myself with a new handbag.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 29th Jul, '11, 13:29

The temp crown is there to see if the pain persists. If it does, I'll need a root canal before the permanent crown can be fitted.
My second option is extraction, which needs to be done surgically because there's not much left of the tooth for normal extraction.
I'm going diving in two weeks, so both options will need to wait til I'm back. At this point I'm just hoping for a painless holiday.

I need to buy two handbags.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Jul, '11, 13:56

nev wrote:I need to buy two handbags.
Indeed! :D

Good luck, Nev.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 30th Jul, '11, 01:55

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I rewarded myself with a new handbag.
Thread takes a sudden left turn.

Photies?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 30th Jul, '11, 12:22

I don't want to see her teeth!

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 30th Jul, '11, 14:38

Good luck Nev, sounds like a horror dental visit. A definite 2 handbag situation!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 3rd Aug, '11, 18:30

I went and got my regular dentist Dr Sharma to pull it out. She had to do it surgically because of the position of the tooth, but it was painless, and it was done in 15 minutes. Oh, and the dental assistant was competent.

On a slightly depressing note, the X-ray revealed that two of my wisdom teeth are slowly killing the teeth next to them, so they need to go too. Another molar also has an infection at the root and will need to go, then replaced with an implant.

I still need to buy the handbags after all.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 3rd Aug, '11, 23:48

Wouldn't it be better to repair and safe?
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 4th Aug, '11, 09:25

Possum wrote:Wouldn't it be better to repair and safe?
The tooth that went was only a stump, the rest had broken off. It's also an extra tooth (I have 5 extra apparently :D ) so I really don't need it.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th Aug, '11, 10:26

I've recently heard that the trend in dental care is to remove wisdom teeth early, no matter how healthy they are. When you're young they're no problem, but as you age the overcrowding leads to bite issues that can break teeth, and because they're so far back in the mouth, they are very difficult to clean. Periodontists are saying that the worst cases of gum disease start with the wisdom teeth and spread to the molars next to them. Good riddance I say!

But sorry you've had to go through all this. :(

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 4th Aug, '11, 10:43

I always thought it was almost the norm to remove wisdom teeth early. Most people I knew growing up had them out in high school or university at the latest. I was advised to have mine cut out when I was about 16 but I waited until they actually came partially in and were sore and had them out at 18. Should have done it earlier as advised though because my bottom teeth are now crooked again because of the crowding they caused :(

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th Aug, '11, 11:13

It seemed at that time I was told that if they're not causing pain or problems, then leave them in. I've got all four of mine, but have to go for very regular scaling to keep them clean. PIA.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Aug, '11, 11:21

I don't think I have wisdom teeth. Make up your own jokes :(

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Nov, '11, 16:08

Horror dental surgery day tomorrow: two wisdom teeth and one molar are on their way out. Plus I have to attend a wedding on Sunday. No swelling on the last tooth extraction so I hope this one will be fine. Wish me luck!
Last edited by nev on 24th Nov, '11, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 24th Nov, '11, 16:13

Good luck, Nev!! Fingers crossed!

We began our orthodontic adventure for Little Boy Slink this morning -- he had an impression made for a growth plate. In 3 more months we'll see if his sister needs something similar. Need to get better dental insurance. We're currently not covered for orthodontics and I'm fairly certain full braces are in the boy's future :o

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Nov, '11, 16:43

Thanks, I need the luck!

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Nov, '11, 20:24

You'll be fine Nev, but good luck anyway. ;)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 25th Nov, '11, 03:41

Good luck, Nev. Weddings are a drag.