Furniture - where to get from?

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: Furniture - where to get from?

Post by canuck » 15th Mar, '12, 18:19

Possum wrote:I saw the perfect sofa (50% off) for you this week at the IMM mall. Its like 3 Goldclass chairs (complete with cupholders between them) in a slight curve...about 280 long. If I had a bigger basement I would get them along with a pinball machine and a giant screen :) [smilie=groovy.gif]
Are you sure yer a girl ;)

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 15th Mar, '12, 18:36

Kooky wrote:I think Ikea does sectional sofas quite well. I think where they often fall down is the feet.

In the UK many years ago I bought 2 classic leather sofas from them (that were strangely never in the catalogue, and took months to come as they apparently got lost in Poland but that's another story) but they had really rough block feet so I had my Dad turn and fit some lovely oak bun feet, really brought them up a notch in the quality stakes. Selling them off really hurt but at least they went to a friend that loved them as much as I did (and actually paid me, unlike the friend that got my custom-made wrought-iron bed at a bargain price)...with the benefit of hindsight I should have shipped them all over :)

Scummy's recommendation for custom covers is another good one; get the bare bones and make it unique.

Hmmm, thinking about it, buying sofas has always been a bit traumatic. :?
I stained the legs of my IKEA sofas to match the floor and look less cheap. Yes, I'm that sad.

Oh and I wouldn't buy furniture from Freedom; much as I like the look of their stuff I've had to return too many shoddy items.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Mar, '12, 00:16

Possum wrote:I saw the perfect sofa (50% off) for you this week at the IMM mall. Its like 3 Goldclass chairs (complete with cupholders between them) in a slight curve...about 280 long. If I had a bigger basement I would get them along with a pinball machine and a giant screen :) [smilie=groovy.gif]
There's a few shops there...any idea which floor/shop? Got some time tomorrow early evening so may nip there. There's also a Novena and Natural Living down the road from me....anyone bought anything from there? I think the one I went to the other day was their factory outlet and therefore not their top stuff.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 16th Mar, '12, 05:30

I think Natural Living is the place I bought some banana leaf laundry baskets that resulted in the whole shophouse having to be fumigated and some of my (thankfully cheaper) furniture having to be thrown out.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Mar, '12, 07:52

Yeah, I got a feeling from their warehouse shop they weren't on top of the ball with much.

Will continue the search and report back tonight. What a drama this is, bet you can't wait for the update!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 16th Mar, '12, 10:07

Edge of the seat stuff for sure [smilie=tease.gif]
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 16th Mar, '12, 10:10

I wish I new the answers here too, having spent a few trips to Sungei Kadut and The Furniture Mall and continually coming up empty handed. Then again I've been looking for something specific that is probably not even on the island.

Seems most of the stuff available is overly high-end or particle board cheap. Or maybe I just haven't shopped for furniture for a long time.

I want this kind of 2-person lounge as I have neck problems and just want something me and the Mrs. can relax on while watching telly, but have yet to find a right-priced and right-sized one.
Attachments
Pavillion lounge.jpg
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 16th Mar, '12, 10:25

There's a shop by the side door of The Furniture Mall that has fake Barcelona chairs and sofas - might have somthing similar Sardi?

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 16th Mar, '12, 10:49

shyte Sardy, I do enough shopping and furniture browsing to know that you are not going to get that 2 person sofa design cheaply.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 16th Mar, '12, 11:27

daffodil wrote:Edge of the seat stuff for sure [smilie=tease.gif]
:lol:

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 16th Mar, '12, 11:36

daffodil wrote:Edge of the seat stuff for sure [smilie=tease.gif]
Safest way if his webbing's gone, I reckon.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 16th Mar, '12, 13:36

It was the 3rd of 4th floor. I cant remember the name but if you wander through you will find it. It was the largest sofa shop in the centre section of the floor
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Mar, '12, 11:05

Right, plan is to now re-web and re-foam my sofa. Covers and cushions are ok, and someone will do it for ~$1100. If they do a good job they can do my day bed too!

Poppy Appeal

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 21st Mar, '12, 17:07

Sardonicus wrote:I wish I new the answers here too, having spent a few trips to Sungei Kadut and The Furniture Mall and continually coming up empty handed. Then again I've been looking for something specific that is probably not even on the island.

Seems most of the stuff available is overly high-end or particle board cheap. Or maybe I just haven't shopped for furniture for a long time.

I want this kind of 2-person lounge as I have neck problems and just want something me and the Mrs. can relax on while watching telly, but have yet to find a right-priced and right-sized one.
Saw a photo of sofas like this in a shop window (Vienna furniture, serangoon ave 2) ... Didn't have a look inside but prices start at $399++ ... Might be worth a look or could be a waste of time
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 21st Mar, '12, 22:39

Thanks Poss, will check
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Mar, '12, 18:36

Fat Bob wrote:Right, plan is to now re-web and re-foam my sofa. Covers and cushions are ok, and someone will do it for ~$1100. If they do a good job they can do my day bed too!
He'll be doing my daybed too!

Now I've sampled the work, then I'm happy to recommend him: Jason from Fabrio Furnishings did the work and it feels good.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 27th Mar, '12, 18:58

So your bum isn't hanging on the floor any more? Cool ;)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 27th Mar, '12, 19:43

No, just his knuckles.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 28th Mar, '12, 08:38

Wow, it's done already? That's fantastic. I forget that sometimes things work fast in Singapore, if it were here you would still be on the waiting list.

I wish I had my two couches reupholstered when we were still there.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 28th Mar, '12, 10:39

I will definitely go check him out. Thanks, FB!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Furniture - where to get from?

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 28th Mar, '12, 10:57

I went shopping yesterday after work and spotted a marble table where the centre piece can be rotated 360 deg. Initially, my intention was to purchase a rectangular/squarish table but because I've a young child at home, I have decided to look for a round table.

Do you folks think Marble material is a bit out-dated?
Attachments
marble.JPG
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 28th Mar, '12, 11:37

I'd buy what you like, whether it's outdated or not (no idea). Personally I don't like marble, or round tables, but that's just me!

(Make sure the kid doesn't land on it head down!)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 28th Mar, '12, 11:56

See, in my house that's not a table. It's a RIDE! :D
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 28th Mar, '12, 12:09

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:See, in my house that's not a table. It's a RIDE! :D
:fblike:
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 28th Mar, '12, 12:13

I like round tables, in fact I am looking for one myself as I feel everything in our living area is too angular, and also they're a good use of space - if they have a central pedestal like that one there is never somebody sitting round a leg. Just a year ago I hardly saw any but they're definitely back in fashion, and some of them are very minimalist and modern.

SAR, is that pedestal metal? I'm not a huge fan of marble but if it has a metal base it might be quite funky. The Lazy Susan - very Asian :D I saw some on round wooden tables at the weekend, in one of the very upmarket (or more accurately very expensive) retailers here.

Agree marble might be a bit hard on kiddies' heads but a round table doesn't have nasty corners so another reason to go for one :)