Education System

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Education System

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 18th Jul, '12, 15:28

Although daughter is still young, we have already discussed on options we have. I prefer more play than actual learnin (classroom environment) for my daughter but the husband think otherwise. He feels that preschool education is important as a good headstart means the child will have a good academic foundation.

We both agreed that Singapore's education system is not the best but initially was thinking of letting our daughter to go to Australia for formal education. Then, he said might be better for us to move back to the UK. We might be leaving SIngapore a few more years earlier than we first planned.

I know lots of you are from Australia and the UK, if I may have some valuable/genuine inputs from some of you please?
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Re: Education System

Post by expat yorkshire » 18th Jul, '12, 17:20

I am personally very happy with the Singapore Education System . The major weakness in the system is lack of creativity , but in terms of teaching kids the basics at pre- school and primary school it works well IMHO.

You just have to "top up" the creativity part yourself outside the school environment.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 18th Jul, '12, 18:01

In terms of Preschool , I would recommend anywhere that does the Zoophonics system , it certainly helped EPY boy to be confident reader at an early age

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 18th Jul, '12, 19:40

My impression left with across cultures was: western style play learning critical difference to developing social skills, creativity and problem solving, abilty to think without being told 'the answer' and figure it out, as well as automotive skills. On other hand western so called modern style resistance to more formal numbers, letters, teaching through repetition and unwillingness to fail/test has become very weak and I'm not convinced that experiment has worked and something worth considering as strength in some Asian regions (although I still think at expense of learning to self teach, or address special learning needs of many kids). Suspect this is the advantage that comes with private schools combining these methods.
My personal feeling if had my own, that before the age of 4yrs your gut instinct about play is right, but balance with a LOT of parent support with home reading stories and number games. The niece is only 3 and can count to and past 30, read numbers on signs, also knows what road signs say like slow down and stop, and heaps stuff - she'll be grand once formal teaching starts. LOTs of home reading though!
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 18th Jul, '12, 19:54

It's a difficult decision. However, you have really gotta think: is you child going to grow up English or Singaporean? Which passport will the child have? Use that as an initial basis for schooling, give them the best you can from there.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 18th Jul, '12, 23:44

Mr Sate thinks the Sg education is excellent. It is in certain respects.

We're choosing to school children in the UK mainly because I don't want them to go through the hell I went through witht eh 2nd lang thing. Anyway, after we bought house etc. the solicitor told me that they had done away with the need to pass a 2nd language inorder to be eligible for NUS. If we had known.

If you are ultimately going to the UK then it is very impt to pick a good rating school (reports obtained through ofsted) We went through a lot of searching before picking two "outstanding" rated state schools (as private is beyond our means) and have bought a place right next door to it (well sort of) in order to get in (as they are very strict with boundaries - which change every year). This means that houses within a shcool boundary is going to be expensive. We got little for what we paid for in terms of size of house.

Our son started in one of the international school at 2.5yrs for 3x/wk and we quite like it. But because I wanted to save and thought that the Singapore school is better, I registered him in one of the PCF schools during this "summer vacation" and am deeply disappointed with it in the nursery (ie 3-4year old) class as they don't play enough or study enough. At the international school, he has learnt phonics, numbers and addition even (not to mention playing) so I'm switching him back. But for K1 and K2, I think local is better. Unfortunately the PCF school i would recommend is on the otehr side of the island for you. but am sure that there would be a suitable on near you - no need to spend so much on kindergarten.

PS - I am have decided to pay lots for kindergarten at Intl sch (which actuall y is cheaper than some better local kindergartens) as we war moving next year so dont want to to have to be overwhelmed with academic stuff (in addition to social integration and separation issues) considering PCF attendance my set him back.